Zip lines in Puerto Vallarta

liveforvaca

Just got back from doing the zip lines through Rio Cuale in Puerto Vallarta. I had a blast and loved the height, speed and lengths of the runs. A lot of work climbing paths from one line to the next, but well worth it.

I had previously done a Canopy tour in Honduras and this was considerably different. Better overall but different.

• 2 weeks later...

Man, I had no idea there were this many choices for the canopy adventure. I was set on Los Veranos just because someone sent me the link and it looked good. Should I look into these others? We are two kids 11 & 12 doing this and I am way more afraid then they are. I had no idea it took 3 hours to get there. What do you do for 3 hours? 6 hours of travel time all together, those of you that have done this,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,is it worth it??

I have to admit I screamed when someone asked if there are spiders. I AM SO AFRAID of anything that has more legs then me no matter what size. Tell me I wont see any hairy things please:eek:

Do you recommend booking with Princess or through the tour co directly?

We just did the los veranos canopy tour last week. It was so fun and the guides were excellent. There were no spiders except for the ones at the restraunt afterwards in a cage. It is only a 20-25 taxi ride from the pier to their office. They drive you from there an additional 30 min to the zip lines, but the ride is very beautiful. On our tour there were several kids that were 8 and 9 and they did great. I would highly reccomend booking it privately and using the money you save to buy a dvd to share your experience with friends and family.:D

I have a question about Los Veranos Canopy Tour. We will be there next Wednesday and we have booked everyone in our family except my mom, who is 73. She can walk miles, but I don't think the zipline is for her. Does anyone know what she would be doing if she just came along for the ride? Would she be just hanging out at the restaurant for three hours by herself, or can she travel along and watch the zipline in some fashion? Thanks for any information. I hate to have her stay on the ship while we are having such a great time in the jungle!

Spiders in cages.......................My world just went black!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the info. I am going to book it today I think. And yes I will have nightmeres about those spiders:eek:

From what I've been told . . . spiders in a cage don't compare to the huge snake (hopefully) in a cage. They also have monkeys in a cage which, someone on here said you could go into the cage with but . . . was warned that the monkey with white on it . . . sort of went potty on the poster. Actually being in a cage with monkeys sounds like a "barrel of fun" . . . :D

From what I've been told . . . spiders in a cage don't compare to the huge snake (hopefully) in a cage. They also have monkeys in a cage which, someone on here said you could go into the cage with but . . . was warned that the monkey with white on it . . . sort of went potty on the poster. Actually being in a cage with monkeys sounds like a "barrel of fun" . . . :D

Hahaha, I was the unfortunate one that the monkey went potty on. Btw, that huge snake is not in a cage...a dude was carrying it around the whole time. Check out my pictures (Pride #1 album) - I've got a pic of the tarantula (in a cage though) at the bar. That was the only spider I saw while ziplining...but on the drive back after the tour, we passed a ton of HUGE black nightmare-inducing spiders on the trees...I swear they were the size of my head:eek:

Hahaha, I was the unfortunate one that the monkey went potty on. Btw, that huge snake is not in a cage...a dude was carrying it around the whole time. Check out my pictures (Pride #1 album) - I've got a pic of the tarantula (in a cage though) at the bar. That was the only spider I saw while ziplining...but on the drive back after the tour, we passed a ton of HUGE black nightmare-inducing spiders on the trees...I swear they were the size of my head:eek:

Are you serious? Spiders on trees the size of one's head? Oh my goodness . . . spiders don't bother me but you just might have given me pause to ponder. Snakes and spiders . . . oh my . . .

Being "peed" on by a monkey seems rather tame compared to . . . :eek:

I have a question about Los Veranos Canopy Tour. We will be there next Wednesday and we have booked everyone in our family except my mom, who is 73. She can walk miles, but I don't think the zipline is for her. Does anyone know what she would be doing if she just came along for the ride? Would she be just hanging out at the restaurant for three hours by herself, or can she travel along and watch the zipline in some fashion? Thanks for any information. I hate to have her stay on the ship while we are having such a great time in the jungle!

Hi MaryKat...unfortunately if your mother won't be participating in the actual ziplining, she can't walk along with all of you. The only way to complete that part of the tour is to "zip." But definitely bring her along even if she just hangs out at the restaurant - remember that it's only about $20 to do that. The ziplining takes about an hour and a half, so she won't be alone for 3 hours. As me and the other posters here have been talking about, there is a variety of interesting albeit pee-your-pants scary wildlife all around to enjoy! The last zipline will take you back to the restaurant so tell your mom to try and look out for your group (it helps to wear bright clothing). Have fun!

Are you serious? Spiders on trees the size of one's head? Oh my goodness . . . spiders don't bother me but you just might have given me pause to ponder. Snakes and spiders . . . oh my . . .

Being "peed" on by a monkey seems rather tame compared to . . . :eek:

No joke...good thing I was safely inside the tour truck!

Hi MaryKat...unfortunately if your mother won't be participating in the actual ziplining, she can't walk along with all of you. The only way to complete that part of the tour is to "zip." But definitely bring her along even if she just hangs out at the restaurant - remember that it's only about $20 to do that. The ziplining takes about an hour and a half, so she won't be alone for 3 hours. As me and the other posters here have been talking about, there is a variety of interesting albeit pee-your-pants scary wildlife all around to enjoy! The last zipline will take you back to the restaurant so tell your mom to try and look out for your group (it helps to wear bright clothing). Have fun!

That's what myself and another gal on the cruise are going to be doing. We met here on the CC boards and it's going to be so much fun having someone to be with while our family does the zippy thing . . . :D

I've never seen a large spider outside of a cage at Los Veranos any time I've been there. In fact, I've not heard from any of thousands of people who do the tour that they've encountered such spiders at the tour site. As with most heavily touristed places, the constant drum of foot traffic usually keeps any wildlife a good distance away, for better or worse, depending on your viewpoint.

No worries.

I've never seen a large spider outside of a cage at Los Veranos any time I've been there. In fact, I've not heard from any of thousands of people who do the tour that they've encountered such spiders at the tour site. As with most heavily touristed places, the constant drum of foot traffic usually keeps any wildlife a good distance away, for better or worse, depending on your viewpoint.

No worries.

Yes, this is right...the only spider I saw at the actual tour site was the caged tarantula. I saw those other huge spiders in the trees while I was safely in the truck...so don't worry all of you!! The spiders were nothing compared to all the bees...OMG! I'm not sure if the bees are regular visitors or maybe it was just the time of year we went because no one mentioned them in all the reviews I've read. The bees were all over the restaurant and eager to get to our soda and yummy food (can't blame them!). My bf and I were terrified of these bees but our dining experience was honestly one of the funniest and best times of our cruise - I'm sure the waiters got a kick out of us making bee traps:o

smileHMB... I'm with you. IF I do this, I will probably have my eyes closed and screaming all the way too. I keep going back and forth if I want to do this (of course, the kids will). I read all the comments and think how fun it will be, then I find a reason to talk myself out of it. I will probably go through with it and do it, but OMG!!!!!!!!!

Have fun and I'll be thinking "at least I'm not the only one out here that has ever hung on and screamed their way through"

Man I hope some of you can help ease or confirm my fear. I can not put into words how afraid I am of spiders. We were/are planning on doing a zip line while in PV. I recently heard there are a lot of spiders everywhere. I am seriously seriously afraid of them. Am I crazy to go into the jungle and do this? My family wants me to come bad but I am so fearful. Are they everywhere?

Thanks

I don't know your mother but if she can walk miles she can do the zip lines. They are completely safe and you have an additional safety line to hold you on. I am terrified of heights and loved the zip lines. I would think that it would be boring to sit and wait. The guides take excellent care of you and if you can I would talk her in to going on the zip lines with you. She will have fun and it will be a great memory.:p

Man I hope some of you can help ease or confirm my fear. I can not put into words how afraid I am of spiders. We were/are planning on doing a zip line while in PV. I recently heard there are a lot of spiders everywhere. I am seriously seriously afraid of them. Am I crazy to go into the jungle and do this? My family wants me to come bad but I am so fearful. Are they everywhere?

Thanks

Do not worry! If you go to Los Veranos (which I highly recommend), the only spider you will most likely see is a tarantula in a cage at the bar. I did see spiders while riding in the truck back to town...they were huge but in the trees, and far away so they can't touch you. It's gorgeous at Los Veranos and the drive back/from is breathtaking...don't let spiders discourage you from not going!

Hope this might answer questions that have been posted. Just got this confirmation email from Los Veranos.

I’m glad to hear that you will be joining us at Canopy de Los Veranos! F.Y.I. We have the HIGHEST the LONGEST cables in Vallarta!

After the tour, don’t rush off! Transportation is provided all day! Be sure to check out our riverside restaurant, PANCHO’S LAST RESORT, offering a delicious International menu. And if you haven’t all ready spent your last penny, visit our GIFT SHOP!

Also, spend some time with our EXOTIC ANIMALS. Check out the 3 squirrel monkeys! They love to be hand fed. If monkeys aren’t your thing and you’re into TARANTULAS….ask to have one crawl on your face! Take pictures of any or all of our animals. There is NO CHARGE!!

NOTE: For those visiting by cruise ship, PLEASE GO OUTSIDE THE GATES and grab a taxi. Our office is located 20min south of the pier.

BE SURE YOU HAVE THE CORRECT TIME. Ship time differs from Vallarta time. (Central Standard Time)

I CAN’T FORGET THESE THINGS:

· CHECK MY WATCH to make sure that I’m on VALLARTA” TIME (Central Standard) I don’t want to miss my shuttle!

· Hop in a YELLOW CAB (Less expensive than the white vans.)

· Copy of CONFIRMATION. I need this to receive my 10% discount and it has the DIRECTIONS to the shuttle.

· MONEY or CREDIT CARD. I may want to eat at the beautiful riverside restaurant OR purchase my souvenir t-shirt AND of course pay for the tour!

· MY CAMERA with a strap. I want pictures of me holding the TARANTULAS and the BURMESE PYTHON!

· Bug REPELLENT.

· COMFORTABLE footwear.

· SWIM TRUNKS and TOWEL incase I want to try out the waterslides. Weather permitting.

· I don’t have to worry about my STUFF because I can use their LOCKERS (free).

That about covers it!! Oh……… one last thing!

BEWARE: You may be approached by vendors selling the “OTHER” Canopy tour. Don’t be fooled by cheaper tickets. Just ignore them and KNOW that Canopy de Los Veranos is your best and safest choice!

PARADISE awaits you!

I’m

Afte

Also,

I

• 2 weeks later...

Just a week ago I was ziplining through the Sierra Madres in PV. It was booked as "Canopy Adventures" on Celebrity Cruises but the company was actually Vallarta Adventures "Outdoor Adventure" and I would really really recommend them.

All I can say is WHAT A THRILL. We screamed the first few times across (but then I scream when I sled down a snowy hill too) but then screamed in thrills. Had lots of ziplines but also enjoyed the Tarzan Swing and rapelling down at the end. THe guides were outstanding - so patient and helpful and they made it fun too. Don't worry - it is so safe. The group of 8 of us ranged in age from 10 to 73 (My friend and I are 55)

Two teenagers on our cruise had done it in Costa Rica a few days before and did this in PV with us also. They said the PV one was so much better than the Costa Rica one.

If you wonder if you should do it - GO FOR IT - it is a thrill beyond belief and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Just a small correction they might want to be aware of...they no longer have the highest and longest zip lines in Puerto Vallarta.

Rio Cuale and La Vista are both now higher and longer than Los Veranos.

La Vista has 18 zip lines to Los Veranos' 14, and Rio Cuale has one line that is over 1/4 mile long, plus being nearly 600 feet off the ground.

That said, Los Veranos is still a blast.

Hi everyone, what a fun thread to read. Sure has my heart pumping.....

We are sailing on the Diamond in Feb. We want to do a zip line and book it directly with the company to save $. I am assumming we just take a cab there directly ourselves? Any idea how much this will cost and how long it will take? We were planning on doing Los Veranos, but have been hearing a lot about outdoor adventure. Who are they and where are they? I want to make sure we book the right day so I am guessing I just check out the website of Princess and see what day we are in PV. Sounds like a duh but I want to get this right. I have been hearing a lot about Krystal hotel as well, someone said we would not have time to do both, anyone know?

Thanks much for all your help.

Judy

Hi everyone, what a fun thread to read. Sure has my heart pumping.....

We are sailing on the Diamond in Feb. We want to do a zip line and book it directly with the company to save $. I am assumming we just take a cab there directly ourselves? Any idea how much this will cost and how long it will take? We were planning on doing Los Veranos, but have been hearing a lot about outdoor adventure. Who are they and where are they? I want to make sure we book the right day so I am guessing I just check out the website of Princess and see what day we are in PV. Sounds like a duh but I want to get this right. I have been hearing a lot about Krystal hotel as well, someone said we would not have time to do both, anyone know?

Thanks much for all your help.

Judy

Hi Judy,

Yes, you'll take a taxi directly yourselves - walk past the expensive white taxis to just outside the marina entrance, and grab a yellow taxi. Very easy, they're all lined up there waiting for you.

Outdoor Adventure is run by Vallarta Adventures, so you can't book directly with them due to their contract with the cruise ships, but you can book through a third-party agency.

The Diamond Princess comes to Puerto Vallarta every Tuesday in February - you should be able to calculate which Tuesday by your departure date. Yes, you can also look at the Princess site to be 100% sure.

You may be able to do both the canopy tour and the Krystal. The Diamond Princess usually docks at 7:00 AM until 6:00 PM, so you could do the early canopy tour, and have time in the afternoon to get a massage. Talk to the tour agency you use and they can give you more information about your potential itinerary.

Hope this helps, have a great time!

We stayed in PV for a week over Christmas and I fully researched the Canopy tours in the area. We settled on booking with Johann and Sandra and Los Veranos. I was more than pleased with our tour! We are a family of 5 with 2 teen aged boys and a little girl of 8, so we're a tough group to please. Let me tell you, these guides are the best! They manage to keep your whole group fully engaged and this Mom felt VERY safe the whole time. The tour is very fun and you can bring a camera if you want but I would suggest to buy the DVD, that's what we did and it featured a LOT of footage of us and captured the "adventure" very well. Very much worth the money folks, have fun.

Annie

Archived