Parking in San Diego

k8russ8

I was told by you, very knowledgable cruisers on these boards that I can park across the street from the pier in San Diego. I have been told by a local that you can no longer do so due to terrorist precautions. Is there an update that will help me finalize my choice for parking? I have difficulty walking and this would be a perfect choice for me. All information is greatly appreciated.

I was told by you, very knowledgable cruisers on these boards that I can park across the street from the pier in San Diego. I have been told by a local that you can no longer do so due to terrorist precautions. Is there an update that will help me finalize my choice for parking? I have difficulty walking and this would be a perfect choice for me. All information is greatly appreciated.

Try the link below It is across the street and is still available to park in. I called them a couple of weeks ago to verify that when the rumors first started that it was closed.

http://www.fivestarparking.com/index.aspx?page=findparking

Five Star Parking

(619) 235-4500

900 W. Broadway

For a better price, although not as convenient as the lot directly across the street from the pier is:

San Diego Airport Parking

sdap.net

which is $47.50 a week

87.50 a month

and is only a short shuttle ride away from the pier.

they take reservations.

their shuttle is $1.50 round trip and takes you right to the pier.

I rode right by the entrance to that lot as I left the Zaandam last Sunday. I paid particular attention as I knew this subject has come up---there was a big sign noting "Cruise Ship Parking".

• 3 months later...

There is parking acrose the street from the Pier, but its not a short walk to get back to the cruise center. We've parked there many times. Maybe if you have handicap parking, you might get up in front of lot but it still is not that close for someone who has walking problems. My DH always drops me off with the carry on's, etc., then parks the car and I would say it takes him 15 min. to park and walk back to the pier. Before 9/11 you could park right on the pier but ofcouse that all changed.

Kate, that lot is open and available - cost is roughly $100 for Oosterdam's week-long cruise. There probably are cheaper options available elsewhere in SD but this is the closest lot to the pier and ship. (see attached photo - parking lot is on the right side). I do agree with PathfinderEss that if anyone has mobility issues, it would be best to drop that individual off at the pier first. We don't have those issues but we still drive into the pier area first to off-load our bags with one of them dudes named Steve;)

We then enter the lot (entrance off Broadway - signs says "Cruise Parking") and park the hooptie. Simply walk west-bound in the direction of the ship (there is an opening in the fence), cross the street without getting hit - watch it!! No jay-walking:cool: ) and enter the pier via the pedestrian entrance (yes, you have to show personal I.D. and cruise papers to the contract security guards there before they let you enter.)

Upon return a week later, reverse the process and you're good to go! They will let you walk back to your car without your bags, pick it up, pay the man at the lot exit gate, and then re-enter the pier to pick up your bags and, in my case, the lovely wife who had been guarding those bags!:)

IMG_5750.JPG.4a8dac98e873304e7daee88d673e12a8.JPG

I live in San Diego and have taken 18 cruises out of here. Before 911, you could park 100 feet from the ship and for a mere $3.00 a day. Best bargain around.

Recently I have had someone drop me off at the pier so I don't have to park. That lot across the street and to the right of the Holiday Inn is fairly cheap. I have a bad knee and it did not take me more than 10 minutes. It is also uncovered. If you have walking problems, there are several big lots (some with indoor parking) and even valet service. They will pick you up at the pier.

The that I use is Alladin (AMPCO). 5 minutes ride from the ship. Secured 24/7. They charge about $84 a week.

Check this site. http://www.portofsandiego.org/sandiego_maritime/cruise/parking.asp

San Diego Airport Parking is the best deal you can get. I parked in the Cruise Ship Parking Lot across the street for my Christmas cruise (8 days) and it cost $139!!!!! It was a bummer to get my car and get it back to the terminal across the street to get my luggage. Very hassle-full!

Upon return from our cruise, I came back to a filthy car. Could hardly see out the windows to drive it across the street to the terminal.

This last Oosterdam cruise that I took last week, I parked at SDAP and took their *FREE* shuttle to the cruise terminal. It took less than 15 minutes for the whole procedure and cost me less than $50/week, plus they washed my car!

San Diego Airport Parking is the best deal you can get. I parked in the Cruise Ship Parking Lot across the street for my Christmas cruise (8 days) and it cost $139!!!!! It was a bummer to get my car and get it back to the terminal across the street to get my luggage. Very hassle-full!

Upon return from our cruise, I came back to a filthy car. Could hardly see out the windows to drive it across the street to the terminal.

This last Oosterdam cruise that I took last week, I parked at SDAP and took their *FREE* shuttle to the cruise terminal. It took less than 15 minutes for the whole procedure and cost me less than $50/week, plus they washed my car!

Gwydiana, could you please give me a bit more info about parking. I have had knee surgery and have a problem walking, I have requested a wheel chair at the terminal, then I should be OK using my cane.

I live in Orange County so I would like to drive myself so I could have my car right there. Did you drop your luggage off before you parked? Also how did you get back to your car at the airport? And how did you pick up your luggage. I just can't walk very far and I can't tote my luggage.

Any suggestions would really help.

Can't wait till March 20.

Gwydiana, could you please give me a bit more info about parking. I am cruising on the Oosterdam on March 20.I have had knee surgery and have a problem walking , I have requested a wheel chair at the terminal, then I should be OK using my cane on the ship.

I live in Orange County so I would like to drive myself so I could have my car right there. Did you drop your luggage off before you parked? Also how did you get back to your car at the airport? And then how did you retrive your luggage?

Any suggestions would really help. Thanks.

Can't wait till March 20.

We have use San Diego Airport parking 4 times and have been very happy with their service and price. You just pull into their lot, stop at the office, someone will help you unload your vehicle into the van. I imagine that if yu can not park your vehicle they will park it for you and bring you the keys. Then they take you to the port. They pull in - stevedores/porters load up your luggage from van. I imagine someone in your party would have to go and fetch the wheelchair. When you return you will need to get a porter to retrieve your luggage. Call the parking place, if they are not already in area they will be right there and go thru a reverse process. Simple and I believe the least expensive around. Of course you should tip as you would with any of the shuttles - IMO. My husband parked our vehicle and then put on the car cover. Car nice and clean when we got back. We were gone 16 days & it cost @$90.00 + tips.

Archived