Clam-shell question for Half moon Cay

Schplinky

We've reserved one and I presume we will get a voucher onboard to trade with a beach attendant. Are these shells stationary or can we have themset us up wherever we would like? We tend to like to walk away from the crowd and be in a less crowded stretch of beach.

You will receive a pink envelope marked excursions in your cabin along with any other excursions, if you booked any. When you go to Half Moon Cay, give this ticket to the attendant, he will then ask you where you would like to be. If he doesn't, then you tell him where you would want to go. He will then take you to the clam shell of your choice, if available, (hint, get there early if you want a specific area of the beach) set it up for you and its pretty much stationary from that point. We have gotten clamshells a few times and they do come in handy if you are not a sun worshiper. Hope this helps. Enjoy Half Moon Cay, I always find this stop to be the highlight of my cruise.

I don't remember whether we got our voucher at check-in or whether it was waiting in our room. I think in our room. At any rate, you just go down to the beach and turn it in and they will set up a clamshell for you.

You might want to take a couple extra beach towels as you don't get any airflow thru the clamshell and they can be hot, so you use the extra towels, rolled up, to prop up the back edge of the clamshell to allow for air circulation.

The voucher will say that you must claim your clamshell prior to 11 am to be assured of getting one.

Each clamshell will accommodate 2 chaise lounges.

We've reserved one and I presume we will get a voucher onboard to trade with a beach attendant. Are these shells stationary or can we have themset us up wherever we would like? We tend to like to walk away from the crowd and be in a less crowded stretch of beach.

They are spread across the beach; you walk over to the one you want and add the support bar. An attendant will trade you the voucher for the support bar. They will help you set it up if you would like.

Good luck!

Kel

Thanks. It's only $9 and we like the idea of not being with the herd clustered around the trees. Also, it's January so I doubt it will so much be hot as it will be sunny. I'll report back on how wrong or right I was.

I agree with the OP, its only $9, if you don't like it, you don't get one the next time, but I think for the money, why not give it a try. Either way, I hope you enjoy Half Moon Cay as much as I have over the years. Have a great cruise.

We had a cabana last year. My personal view is that as long as you can retreat from the sun, that is more than enough. With us, we spent most of the day away from the cabana, so it ended up as an expensive way of getting some soft drinks. The boys are their to begin with, then seem to blend into the tree's, so you have to get your own lunch etc. This year we have opted for the clamshell and will buy our drinks as we go.

Vicki - I'm afraid you'll have to rub shoulders with us common folks from faraway outposts...........:D

Best Wishes

Bob & Dee

We were at HMC on Oct 21 and had the clamshell. As Doone stated, a pink envelope will be in your room upon arrival with your shore excursions.

Take this to the staff on the beach and they will set the shell up for you.

Had we known ( didn't think to ask) we could have moved much further down the beach.

Our day at HMC had 2 ships and we found it to be overcrowded. We got there around 9 and it was filling up pretty fast!!!

I thoroughly enjoyed HMC despite the crowd and am craving to go back.

If only they would put a resort on the island, this would be my ideal vacation spot every year.

The beach is the best I have ever seen and the weather was PERFECT!!!:D

Oooooo and the BBQ...MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM The best burger I have ever eaten. Ok, I am jealous and want to go back....:cool:

Have fun!!

Michelle

PS. 2 Towels to prop the back up works fine.

We were there for the first time last week (2 ships - ugh) and were on the beach at a ridiculously early 8:20am to beat the crowds. (We were on the second tender off the Volendam and the Westerdam's first tenders hadn't even begun yet.) At that early hour, there were precious few places to sit that had any real shade and within an hour I am not aware of any shady spot on the beach, period. We saw literally hundreds of folks milling around trying to find a place to claim chairs for their groups of 4 or 6 people. After 10am, that was very difficult to do.

$9 gets you a clamshell (we had no problems with getting enough air) with two reserved chairs and as much shade as you want.

Can't beat it. No one should quibble over this tiny amount of money!

Hey Scott in maine, did you happen to be there on Oct 21?

We were there for the first time last week (2 ships - ugh) and were on the beach at a ridiculously early 8:20am to beat the crowds. (We were on the second tender off the Volendam and the Westerdam's first tenders hadn't even begun yet.) At that early hour, there were precious few places to sit that had any real shade and within an hour I am not aware of any shady spot on the beach, period. We saw literally hundreds of folks milling around trying to find a place to claim chairs for their groups of 4 or 6 people. After 10am, that was very difficult to do.

$9 gets you a clamshell (we had no problems with getting enough air) with two reserved chairs and as much shade as you want.

Can't beat it. No one should quibble over this tiny amount of money!

Just as Purr said, get there early! With 2 ships it was very crowded. Also, the clamshells don't have any markings telling people that there is a fee for their use. Some people were sitting in the chairs thinking that they were free when in fact they aren't. Again, get there early.

I read a post from a lady who was very upset because she didn't know she needed a card, it wasn't delivered to her cabin and she tendered over without it -- and of course it's way too much trouble to go back to the ship and straighten out, so she did without.

Thanks for this post -- based on what I read I think I'll reserve one too! I'm ridiculously fair, and love to be in the sun doing something (swimming, snorkeling, etc. but am so not about just lying there frying .... and neither is hubby). And I will have to try the hamburger now!

Christy

Archived