ROLL CALL: 2/25/07 Caribbean Princess

MattInFLL

If you call Princess, they do have booking numbers. This is confirmation that docs are on the way!!!

Anyone have experience with the excursions? Let us know if any are worth it. I found the Mexican Riviera excursions a bit dissappointing.

Kip

If you call Princess, they do have booking numbers. This is confirmation that docs are on the way!!!

Anyone have experience with the excursions? Let us know if any are worth it. I found the Mexican Riviera excursions a bit dissappointing.

Kip

Hi Max

We would love to do lunch or maybe go on a fun excursion with you guys. That would be awesome!

I've been watching this board most every day, just lurking and observing.

Ready for a week of relaxation!!!!

We just did the speedboat for two thing that they are offering on St. Thomas only on Cancun and we had a blast. They were 2 person boats and it was great fun. We will either do that or go on the catamaran.

On St. Maarten, we will probably go to Maho Beach where the 747s practically land on top of you. One of my all time fantasies to lie down on a runway and have a jet land right next to be. No not Catherine the great or anything freaky like that:) Can't get Maria to do it with me though, oh well.

J and M

woo-hoo... cruise docs came today and I was quickly on the phone with my friends in Ohio to see what to book for excursions. We're doing the Golden Eagle out island sail in St Maarten and the St Thomas Island tour in St Thomas. didn't bother to set anything up for in Princess Cays. I was determined to get off the ship on this cruise since I only did once on the Mexico cruise in October :)

Minor annoyance... the shore booking paperwork said you can only pre-book until January 26. Heck, I just got the info on Janary 25. Very annoying, tho pre-booking is prolly not going to be a major issue with this itinerary.

I do have to say, this was the least info I've seen RSVP send with cruise docs as far as daily schedule and entertainment goes. I can't help but think something is going on over at RSVP that has them doing things very last minute.

Feb 22nd won't get here soon enough now :)

Phil thanks for the heads up on the 26th deadline!

Kip - did you call Princess for it? I'll be on the phone in the morning to get my booking number. There is something I need to book ahead of time.

Kip, I would also check out the ports of call boards here and look for info on the individual tours you might be interested in. Let's face it, some of them are very lame. I can tell you from prior experience and from research: In St Thomas: If you like awesome views, it's worth the ride up on the Paradise Tram. BUt you can do this on your own so much easier than with any tour, because really you ride up, you look around, you come down. Megan's Bay Beach is amazing. Everyone raves about the catamaran rides. "Taxi" on St Thomas means an open air truck with some benches on the back...if you want to tour, rent a car. Coral World is ho hum on its own, but they have a really cool SNUBA experience (you don a breathing helmet and take a "walk" about 16 feet down..I have a fear of drowning and loved it) (yet I love cruise ships)...and the BOSS underwater scooters get universal raves. The snorkel trail on St John is well reviewed and both Cinnamon Bay and Trunk Bay have to rank as two of the all time most beautiful beaches...St John is great if you want a tranquil day. There's really not much of a town, and it is 90% less touristy than St Thomas.

On St Martin, the French side and Marigot are definitely more interesting if you want to do the shopping/fun beach restaurant thing. Everyone enjoys Orient Beach. America's Cup Challenge also gets universal raves.

You might also try shoretrips.com - sometimes there are better descriptions there (and lower prices for the same tours offered by the ship). I've used them several times.

Janet and Maria -last time on St Maarten I was lucky enough to see a 747 landing... I hear there are better times for it than others... but even the smaller jets are cool since they are right over your head.

I think this is one of the most frustrating things about living in Europe. I wont get cruise documents at all. I have to wait until I arrive at the port on the day of sailing.

When I sailed on Atlantis, I received an email with my booking numbers and everything that allowed me to do online checkin with RCCL. I also was able to book excursions which ultimately helped me figure out who my cabin mate was to be. They also posted the entire cruise handbook on the website which helped me plan for parties, entertainment, etc.

Does anyone know if I can expect the same from RSVP? I guess we are all waiting for the schedule and entertainment to post by February 1, but I would like to book excursions early too. And the 26th, that's today. (I guess I have my pouty face on now.)

I guess I will try to call RSVP to inquire but have to calculate the time change and trying to get through at the same time as everyone else who is scrambling for the same information.

Here's fingers crossed that I will hear something.

Christopher

Good Morning! One day closer to our Caribbean Fantasy! I've given up my obsession with the entertainment and have decided just to be happy with whoever is booked. I think Dendren is right and perhaps RSVP is having some growing pains and will work it all out soon.

Matt, I have to say I'm disappointed to hear Coral World is not as fun as it looks. I am such a tourist and love aquariums, cheezy museums, world's largest balls of string, etc...

2cruisinchiks, Watching the jets land sounds like a hoot! Do I remember reading that there is a bar nearby? You get mega points for the Catherine the Great reference by the way!

Matt - Thanks for the info. Yes, you can call Princess directly and get your booking number, which is needed to log on the Princess site.

Regarding the prebooking deadline, on the Mexican cruise we received documents after the printed deadline but prebooking continued until about a week before the cruise.

Kip

I think this is one of the most frustrating things about living in Europe. I wont get cruise documents at all. I have to wait until I arrive at the port on the day of sailing.

When I sailed on Atlantis, I received an email with my booking numbers and everything that allowed me to do online checkin with RCCL. I also was able to book excursions which ultimately helped me figure out who my cabin mate was to be. They also posted the entire cruise handbook on the website which helped me plan for parties, entertainment, etc.

Does anyone know if I can expect the same from RSVP? I guess we are all waiting for the schedule and entertainment to post by February 1, but I would like to book excursions early too. And the 26th, that's today. (I guess I have my pouty face on now.)

I guess I will try to call RSVP to inquire but have to calculate the time change and trying to get through at the same time as everyone else who is scrambling for the same information.

Here's fingers crossed that I will hear something.

Christopher

Give Nick @ RSVP a short note asking for your booking numbers and the rest of the info. While they seems swamped there these days, he's a great guy and will do everything to help you get the information.

Send him mail at (Nick at RSVPVACATIONSdotCOM)

I just called Princess Cruises (1-800-PRINCESS) to get my booking number so I could go ahead and book the excursions and possible spa appointments. After getting my number and logging onto the site, I was SHOCKED :eek: to see that WE HAD NOT BEEN UPGRADED as I was told. So I called my travel agent immediately, and am now waiting until he contacts RSVP to see what gives. Also found out that he is mailing out the docs tomorrow, which means I won't get ours until Monday. But at least I have my booking number.

I have to put my excitement on hold until this gets straightened out.

I just called Princess and got some guy who sounded asleep. He told me that we had booked through an agent called Traveling Together which I'm guessing is RSVP and he could not give me our booking number!

I think he my have been confused. You might call again, and tell the agent to contact the charter/group sales dept. They have the numbers.

Hi there all.

I called Princess last night and they said that they couldn't give me the booking number then I called this morning and someone different gave me the number. Just keep trying till you get it.

I wish we could all get on the catamaran together or do the speed boats or something.

Just for Tim and Rick

some info from the internet...I like our rumor better actually:)

The simple answer to your question is no, the rumor is not true. However, that won't stop us from repeating the rumor, to wit: that Catherine the Great, empress of Russia in the latter part of the 18th century, was crushed to death when attendants lost their grip on ropes supporting a horse that was being lowered on her for, ah, sexual purposes. This is without doubt the most outrageous story I heard during my entire college career, which is when you usually come across these historical tidbits.

The boring truth is this: Catherine the Great died of a stroke while sitting on the commode in the palace at St. Petersburg. Another less commonly circulated rumor has it that Catherine was so grossly fat (true in itself) that she broke the commode and died of blood loss from resultant injuries, but this is regarded as a fabrication also.

Where are you in Western North Carolina? One of our favorite vacations was a long weekend at Grove Park Inn in Asheville. Love that place. We would love to retire in Asheville.

J and M

J and M, Well, I heard she died from a stroke while a commode was suspended above her for sexual purposes! ;)

We are only 20 minutes from Asheville in a small town called Waynesville. Isn't Grove Park wonderful? We go over sometimes just to have drinks and soak in all the history. I love the fact that I can stand up in the lobby fireplace! That just amazes me.

I'll keep trying Princess. Thanks for the help.

Give Nick @ RSVP a short note asking for your booking numbers and the rest of the info. While they seems swamped there these days, he's a great guy and will do everything to help you get the information.

Send him mail at (Nick at RSVPVACATIONSdotCOM)

Thanks for this advice, Buck or Jeff, not sure which. I have sent an email to him and see how far that gets me. He helped me to change my dining preference when I realized I had been assigned traditional, assigned time and table.

I don't want left out of the chance to get on a catermeran cruise but more importantly, I have a special savings just for the spa. I don't want to miss out on that.

Fingers Crossed for a quick reply from Nick.

(Still planning while waiting to hear back about our cabin)::confused:

There are two scheduled Champagne Catamaran excursions to St. John. One is from 8:15 a.m to 12:45 p.m. and the other is 9:15 to 1:45. I lean towards the first one, as that leaves more time afterwards to taxi into town, shop, and take the Paradise Tram. Below is the info on this excursion:

Champagne Catamaran Sailaway To St. John

Take an exclusive cruise on a sailing catamaran and enjoy some fun in the sun on enchanted St. John. WHAT YOU VISIT

After a brief safari bus transfer step aboard the catamaran for your sail to the lovely, palm-fringed beaches of St. John, safeguarded by the National Park Service. Meet your friendly crew at the dock and then cruise along St. Thomas’ eastern shore before the brisk sail across Pillsbury Sound. Anchor at a special mooring off a St. John beach and then enjoy approximately 90 minutes to swim, snorkel, beach comb, or just relax under the swaying palms. Freshly baked breads, cheeses, fruit, and non-alcoholic beverages are served onboard; complimentary champagne and other alcoholic beverages are available after snorkeling. Snorkeling equipment including snorkel vest, professional instruction, and supervision are provided.

The earlier sounds a good idea in principle. Shame we do not have a schedule to have an idea of what will be going on the night before.

I have been looking throught the excursions on the Princess website while I wait for news on a booking number. The website does not list times though. So you are one step ahead of me. Thanks for sharing the info.

Christopher

:p

We interrupt this message board for this important announcement.

Heard back from my TA, and all is well. We are indeed in C509, and the correct cabin should show up on the Princess site tomorrow.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

To those calling Princess - I got right to someone who gave me our booking number, confirmed our cabin as C605 - Max, you got my heart racing for a moment! - and also let me put in my Princess Captain's Circle number, so I get credit for the cruise with Princess.

So if you get a CSR who is not up to speed, just call back.

Tim and Rick - to be fair about Coral World, now that I think about it - there had been a major hurricane recently before our visit, that had damaged/closed some of their exhibits, including their big draw, the shark tank... so if you love aquariums, you might want to check it out, still. Just don't expect something like Sea World or the New England Aquarium. If nothing else, it is right on Megan's Bay Beach, so you can do both.

cjs - I went looking for a direct dial phone number for Princess (instead of the US toll free number) and couldn't find one for you. I am sure Nick or someone else at RSVP will help. And Kip said we can all probably still pre-book past today.

It appears that those of us that booked later, or booked under the special deal extended to previous RSVP cruisers in the last week or so will have to wait to get our Princess Booking numbers.

My suspicion is this is done to allow those passengers that paid full fares first crack at the shore excursions.

It is only fair, and I understand it.

If I was one fo those that had paid full fare and missed out on shore excursions because the people in the "cheap seats" got to them first, I'd be less than happy.

What I have learned from all of you is that there are many options for shore excursions outside of the Princess offerings, often at a better price.

Thats my rationalization, and I'm sticking to it!

By the way, I am "Buck" of Buck and Jeff.

J&M, You're on!

Were C304, where are you guys at?

For those of you who received documents, the booking number is in small type on the very upper left corner of the the shore excursion form (plain B & W printed sheet). I was able to log on last night and have all my cruise personalizer info completed. My profile also had Traveling Together agency at the top with a name and number. I assumed it was my room mate's TA. BTW, my roomie's profile was also listed on the same page, so we both can see each other's personal info. I was somewhat surprised to see it last night and thought about calling Princess to change that, but will leave it alone for now.

I'm just thrilled . . .there's going to be a trashy tourist t-dance! I love it. :) I still don't know what to do about the super hero costume. All the hero costumes seem too hot to wear for the Caribbean, even at night. What are you all wearing for that?

Steven

OK, this cruise virgin needs more info about doing your own thing in port; I don't want to miss the boat! I would hate to stand on the dock and see the CP sail away without me. Then again, how bad can it be being stuck in St. Thomas when it is winter back home?

I have once experienced showing up at a dock where my ship had sailed without me - it wasn't a cruise but while I was in the navy many moons ago. I had shore leave one day and they had to do a quick overnight at sea.

From reading other web sites it seems that a lot of people rent cars or take taxis to get where they want to go on the islands. It also seems that the cruise line excursions sound like they may be a bit rushed and cater to getting you back to town so you can go shop. What if I want to be on the beach longer? St. John sounds like a good place to explore on your own.

How long before we leave on Sunday do you have to be there, and how early can you embark?

How long does it take to get on or off the ship when it is in port?

How long before sailing time do you need to be back at the dock?

Archived