ROLL CALL: 2/25/07 Caribbean Princess

MattInFLL

Christopher,

Good to hear from you again. The catamaran cruise you took sounds exactly like what we're looking for at St. Thomas/St. John's. One of our favorite days on an RSVP cruise was two years ago on a catamaran excursion in the Dominican Republic. It is a nice chance to meet people in a more relaxed and less crowded atmosphere. I have never snorkeled before and am looking forward to the experience. It would also be fun to get a group of guys to go to Orient Beach in St. Martin...to the clothing optional part, of course. That is something else I have never done! (Only in my back yard pool!)

Mike and Gary,

We are returning on Spirit Flight 394 on Sunday at 1:30 p.m. I checked the Spirit website and see that the price has gone up considerably for the return flight. The total roundtrip cost for 2 is now $595.60 compared to the $357.20 that we paid for in December. It is a 3 hour drive for us to DC.

That is cool that you have met Freddie and Johhny!

Do you guys go to Rehoboth Beach? We had a lot of friends from there last year on the cruise, and this year the guys who own the restaurant Dos Locos will be returning.

Max;)

My partner and I will be on our first cruise. So many things to think about, so many things to plan, so many questions...

Are there shuttles between the Hertz rental drop-off and Port Everglades? (I guess I could call Hertz and ask!)

Our TA said he got us a good balcony cabin on the Aloha deck near the stairs and elevators: good location or noisy?

For the self-service laundry, do you need coins? How about bringing your own detergent?

Are any of the decks or pools clothing optional?

Very excited about the trip and I am sure there will be more questions.

Max, I bet RSVP will do a special excursion to Orient Beach...it just seems like a natural choice. The one thing I always wanted to do was take the high speed ferry over to St Barths, but they stopped running it. :(

Boytjie - Aloha deck is "sandwiched" between two other decks of nothing but cabins, which means it is a quiet deck (although there's no accounting for your neighbors :) ). I have been near stairs/elevators many times, and you don't hear them.

Ever since FLL airport created a central car rental location on the airport grounds, the companies do not have individual shuttles anymore...so not sure they will have a shuttle to take you there like they used to. But you are thisclose to the port from the airport, so even if you have to take a taxi, it's a short ride. But it's worth it to ask Hertz.

I searched the Princess board for the self service laundry info a few days ago, and learned that on the Grand Princess - a sister ship to ours - they charge $1/wash, $1/dry...$1/soap.. One person suggested bringing along a ziploc of some detergent and some fabric softener sheets. FYI, there are usually only 2 sets per laundry room, and it can get busy with impatient people ready to pounce on your laundry if you are not there to take it out when done :) I also read that they sometimes do a mid week special where for $15 they'll launder everything you can fit in the laundry bag.

As for clothing optional - I can't remember if there was a top sun deck on the Westerdam that was or not... one of the RSVP vets would know better. Although, some of the outfits at the parties were pretty next to naked :)

we're in oakland park. nw 21st ave and oakland park blvd. our 2nd rsvp trip. 1st was last march. looking forward to this one and august mediterranean.

hey guys,

anyone know about the "bringing liquor aboard" policy? heard some scary stories.........and info?

I called Budget Car Rental yesterday to ask about a shuttle between the port and the car rental counter. He said the rental companies centrally contract it through 'Port Shuttle' (I think that was the name - have notes at work). It starts at Noon and run every 45 minutes until 3:00 p.m. at least.

Kip

I personally did not bring anything on board but guys across the hall seemed to have brought an entire liquor store without a problem. From reading on other boards it seems it is a complete nonissue as long as you pack it.

Btw, Room service will bring a 375 ml bottle with three cans of mixer for about $18.

Kip

Max,

I hate to admit this but in the 9 years we have lived in the area..... we have NEVER gone to Rehoboth Beach!!!

Do you know of anyone who could get us a nice room there for a weekend in the summer?? ;-)

Can't wait to meet you guys! Have a blast at Freddie's! Any chance they are going on the cruise or the Med. one in August? We are doing both and we can't wait!

Mike

Mike and Gary,

That is cool that you have met Freddie and Johhny!

Do you guys go to Rehoboth Beach? We had a lot of friends from there last year on the cruise, and this year the guys who own the restaurant Dos Locos will be returning.

Max;)

I finally booked airline tickets today! Thanks so much for everyone's help! :)

We found a great deal on JetBlue out of Dulles (direct to FLL). We arrive at 5 or so on Saturday and we leave early Monday morning and get back to Dulles before 10am. It works for us because we actually board both of our dogs out that way! So we can drop them off and pick them up the same day.

Are you ready for this.... for two people roundtrip..... $321!!!

Any thoughts on JetBlue? I have always flown US Airways, but I have heard great things about JetBlue (i.e. TV)

Mike:

I've flown Jet Blue 4 times to Boston, and have always been impressed. Generally friendly crew and fellow passengers.

Kalypso:

If you don't want to wait for the shuttle, a taxi shouldn't be more than $10 or $12, since they are just a couple of miles apart.

David:

If you put it (really well packed, because the bags get knocked around) in your checked bags, there's always the chance yours will be the one they check and open...but it seems rare. For carryon, the vodka in water bottles type of trick works well. This is a hot topic for me, because Princess used to let you buy a liter on board for in cabin consumption at a reasonable price, and they stopped doing it...and regulars on the Princess board seem to say that smuggling has not been a problem since. The worst that happens? They confiscate it.

Welcome aboard all new posters! I'm so glad the cruise is filling up.

I've tried to calm down about the entertainment. I still REALLY want to know who will be performing, but I'll wait until the 1st to see.

I can tell it's getting close to cruise time because my coworkers are placing liquer orders with me. Oh, and in case you were wondering 1 month, 1 day, 5 hours, and 26 minutes as of this writing.

Ok, someone who has been onboard before needs to tell us a good place to meet and maybe we can all get together for a CC party.

Welcome aboard all new posters! I'm so glad the cruise is filling up.

I've tried to calm down about the entertainment. I still REALLY want to know who will be performing, but I'll wait until the 1st to see.

I can tell it's getting close to cruise time because my coworkers are placing liquor orders with me. Oh, and in case you were wondering 1 month, 1 day, 5 hours, and 26 minutes as of this writing.

Ok, someone who has been on-board before needs to tell us a good place to meet and maybe we can all get together for a CC party.

Thanks Matt! :-) That is good to know! To hear 'impressed' and airline in the same sentence these days seems to be a miracle. They must be doing something right!

I can't believe nothing on the entertainment yet either! While I haven't been on an RSVP cruise before, you think they might post it sooner to get others to book?

Mike:

I've flown Jet Blue 4 times to Boston, and have always been impressed. Generally friendly crew and fellow passengers.

On a Princess ship, Skywalkers is usually pretty empty during the day, or any of the bars on decks 6/7. But SW is great since you have that view from the very top of the ship (It's at the top of what looks like the handle on the back of the ship). Once we get a schedule, we can plan so as not to do it at the same time as a major event.

Now I know I am ready to cruise, because I am researching the h*ll out of this ship.

Wow, Mike:

Congratulations on your great flight deal! The past two cruises we flew into FLL the day before, but this year we are taking a chance and flying in the morning of. Now you watch, after this "non-winter" we have been having we'll end up with a major snowstorm that weekend!

We are about 6 hours from Rehoboth, and when we go (every year Memorial Day weekend and the week of July 4th, at least) we stay at The Lighthouse Inn, a great gay B&B. The owners (Matt & Jerry) were on the Caribbean Panama cruise last year. They are going out to Palm Beach this year instead, and I think Freddie & Johnny are going out to visit them. I don't believe they are scheduled for the Med. cruise.

I noticed on the RSVP website they have at least updated the cabin availability. Most categories are now either limited or waitlisted. Maybe they have to wait and see who they can AFFORD for entertainment, now that they are giving so many upgrades and specials. I looked at the websites of the DJs that they used for the Mexican cruise, and only Kimberly S and VJ Tom Yaz have our cruise on their upcoming schedule.

Glad to hear that Robbie Leslie will be back. The past two winter cruises we bought his dance CD's, and I take them to the gym to work out. I need some new ones! I just hope he doesn't keep using the song "I JUST WANT TO F**KIN DANCE", as it has appeared on many of my CDs and I can just imagine what other people at the gym are thinking who might be listening to my music (although I get a LOT of compliments on my play list).

Wow! We thought driving down was going to be our least expensive option, but maybe we need to look at air fare again? If we fly out of Asheville (our nearest airport) it was going to be $400 per person. If we fly out of Atlanta the cost was about $400 for both of us!

Tim and Rick - I had been trying to plan a trip to Asheville, and was put off by the air fares from FLL. However, there were good deals on flights to Atlanta (Air Tran and Delta) and Charlotte (US Air).. The drive down here is a long one...

Matt, Asheville is a great city! Very diverse, very accepting. We love being so close and actually spend most of our free time there. I'm sure you would enjoy visiting. But as for travel, we might as well be in Timbuktu. It always costs a fortune to get anywhere from here or to here.

Hello One and All!

Haven't posted in a while-we've been really crazy busy. Bill just back from visiting his Dad out west. My Mom just had hip replacement. Leaving for Las Vegas Saturday-you get the idea. Next week we'll start focusing on the cruise. The Harrisburg weather FINALLY got cold, so now we'll REALLY be ready for a break. Docs will be arriving shortly (then it will be official!) Getting excited, debating the tux/no tux issue. (Don't feel like carrying, but don't want to miss out.) Still up in the air about St. Thomas/St. John activities. Interested in Orient Beach excursions. Haven't been to St. Martin in a long time. At this point-just getting on/being on the ship is going to be a vacation. Not feeling any urgency to fill up every spare minute.

monumax-did we meet last year? I know we chatted here a bit. I can't remember. We had dinner with Joe and Darryl a couple times on board. We'll see them next week in Rehoboth. We've had a place in Lewes since 94, but don't get down there nearly as much as we used to, or would like to.

Matt-a get-together in Skywalker's sounds like a plan. Skywalker's on the Grand is way cool. The whole thing sways when sailing, it's 16 floors above the water after all. (Is it 17 floors on the Caribbean, since there's a whole extra deck of rooms?) Were you thinking of setting a day and time in here or wait and ask the purser to announce in the daily Princess Patter? No chance of conflict with an FOD meeting :-)

Anyway-keep up the great posts everyone! Last time I was in here there were only 6 pages.

Jim and Bill

Archived