Question for Groups with singles

cruizin4life

This is just a general question. My husband and I and another couple booked our cruise for this January back a few months ago. Now a friend of ours has decided that he would like to go with. He is single and this will be his first cruise. I guess my question is: Do you think this is going to cause any problems with 'us having to entertain him' or anything like that? Sorry this may be an open ended question but I guess I just need some reassurance that this is all just going to be fine and everyone is going to have a fabulous time. Anyone with any advice or similar experiences. TIA!

Since your friend seems to have invited himself along, there's absolutely no reason you should have to entertain him. Sure, you'll all dine together, and you may want to go and see the shows as a group, but there's no need for you to be a threesome or fivesome. I cruise as a solo, but I have married friends with whom I meet up with on the ship. We sit at the same table for dinner and at times we enjoy the same activities like trivia, but I do my own thing most of the time. If we happen to meet up at the show or one of the lounges, then I sit with them, but for everything else, I'm on my own. Actually, I find myself only spending time with them in the evening, as I go pretty much my own way during the day. Don't worry, you'll be fine. BUT, you might have to set some "limits" if you want alone time. Don't worry about hurting his feelings---if he's a decent sort, he'll understand.

I am not sure what you really mean by "entertaining" him. I apologize if I am reading this wrong.

Do you and the other couple plan on doing things together like excursions, shows, meet for drinks, book alternet dining etc. ? I think he should be invited also.

You said he was a friend. I don't see how this will be a problem. Keep in mind he is alone. :)

I am not sure what you really mean by "entertaining" him. I apologize if I am reading this wrong.

Do you and the other couple plan on doing things together like excursions, shows, meet for drinks, book alternet dining etc. ? I think he should be invited also.

You said he was a friend. I don't see how this will be a problem. Keep in mind he is alone. :)

Some lines are very single friendly - you might find yourself never seeing him! Don't stress over it - I am sure he would not want you to. I am sailing solo in January and looking forward being able to do thinks that make me happy - all my cruises so far were with others and I always felt I had to do things their way.

Some lines are very single friendly - you might find yourself never seeing him! Don't stress over it - I am sure he would not want you to. I am sailing solo in January and looking forward being able to do thinks that make me happy - all my cruises so far were with others and I always felt I had to do things their way.

Thanks Everyone! I didn't mean to 'entertain him - entertain him' - it was more of having to include him in all that we do. We talked last night and he is eager I believe to go out and enjoy himself and we do plan on meeting up with everyone for dinner and drinks and if he wants to go on excursions with us etc he is more than welcome as are the others. Thanks everyone! I just get myself a little worked up about some things! :p

I travel with groups sometimes but I am a solo cruiser. It is nice to know that there is someone to say we know her. I like to do my own thing as I am disabled but by beening with a group I can have conversations at dinner. Sometimes, we will end up on the same tour so I know someone on the tour but I don't need them 24/7. It is nice that your friend is going on board with a group but he can have his own fun.

There is a group cruise the 27 Jan 08 but I signed up for it by myself. When we meet it will be for the first time for some of us. We got a group rate which is cheaper then the standard rate and we get some extras. I like it because we talk on line before hand then meet on the ship. Sometimes we book a tour as a group or play triva together during the trip. It is fun and no one is alone all the time. I can go to bed at &:30 pm or 1 am and no one will care.

Archived