If you rented (or plan to rent) a car in Skagway..

MINIjen

Where did you drive to? stops? activities?

We're thinking of renting a car in Skagway and driving up to Carcross and just enjoying a leisurely day. We'll probably stop at the Caribou Crossing Trading Post, then head into Carcross and explore a bit. Is this a good plan? or will we be bored? Any must-see's in Carcross or at the Trading post?

LOL -- there is only one road!

I would suggest that first you drive to the Gold Rush Cemetary. It is very small and few tours go there but it is interesting.

Then take the side road towards Dyea. There is a good viewpoint a few miles along. Then come back to the main road. Get Murray's guide to the road -- there are several links to it in posts on this board.

Caribou Crossing is a lot of fun. We really enjoyed the dog cart rides!

Check out our report at

Alaska Cruise

Have a GREAT cruise!

Here is Murray's excellant guide:http://www.explorenorth.com/library/roads/sklondike-photos1.html

Be sure to go all the way to Emerald Lake, it's stunning. There isn't much in Carcross, they do have brochures for a self-guided walking tour. There's also the Carcross desert.

We will be in Skagway on Sept. 17. I am having difficulity finding a car rental. Avis will be closed as of Sept. 15. I have tried to pull up Sourdough's website, but it does not seem to be working correctly. Avis mentioned that I would not be allowed to take it into Canada. Anyone know of another car rental company in Skagway, hopefully one that would allow me to take it into Canada, but not too far.

Thanks

We will be in Skagway on Sept. 17. I am having difficulity finding a car rental. Avis will be closed as of Sept. 15. I have tried to pull up Sourdough's website, but it does not seem to be working correctly. Avis mentioned that I would not be allowed to take it into Canada. Anyone know of another car rental company in Skagway, hopefully one that would allow me to take it into Canada, but not too far.

Sourdough's Web site has never worked - I don't know why they insist on giving the URL out and annoying people. Their email does work, though - sourdoughrental@yahoo.com - and you can take their cars/trucks into Canada (only Canadians can't, due to Canada Customs regulations).

Murray

Thanks

Are you not a US citizen??? If Canadian, no , you can not rent a car in the US and drive to Canada.

Sourdough, and Avis are the only 2 companies. I have nothing good to say about Sourdough, my opinion only.

• 1 month later...
Are you not a US citizen??? If Canadian, no , you can not rent a car in the US and drive to Canada.

Sourdough, and Avis are the only 2 companies. I have nothing good to say about Sourdough, my opinion only.

I rented a car from Sourdough last year.. Trip was great.. Car didn't break down (thank God). However, they did charge me another $100 on a separate transaction on my credit card after I got back home. Called them on their phone number and nobody answered it. Left a message and never got call back. Anyway, I called my credit card company and dispute that $100.

So I concurs with BudgetQueen. This is a very poorly run business. They could be a very successful business given their location there if they give 2 minutes of their time to think about the concept of customer service.

So...

If you are American, can you drive an Avis rental car (from Skagway) into Canada?

Can someone who has done this recently confirm that they have not had any issues with this?

Yes, you can - only Canadians can't take a rental car back into Canada. It's a Canada Customs regulation based on the assumption that they should have rented in Canada - Skagway, Alaska, may be the only place where that just doesn't apply.

Murray

Yes, you can - only Canadians can't take a rental car back into Canada. It's a Canada Customs regulation based on the assumption that they should have rented in Canada - Skagway, Alaska, may be the only place where that just doesn't apply.

Murray

Actually in my experience that is true in other locations. Canadian citizens can not rent a car in the US and drive to Canada. I have seen it happen in Seattle for example, when wanting to drive to Vancouver.

I believe Yukon's point was that an exception to the Canadian custom prohibition against Canadian citizens renting a car in the United States and driving into Canada should be allowed in Skagway since cruise passengers have no opportunity to rent a car in Canada.

So...

If you are American, can you drive an Avis rental car (from Skagway) into Canada?

Can someone who has done this recently confirm that they have not had any issues with this?

Thanks!

We rented from Avis and they never told us that we could not go into Canada. I am pretty sure that we even told them we were driving there. There is no problem at the border, either. We rented the car, drove to Canada and returned the car - no problems.:)

About how much is a normal amount to rent a car for the day thru Avis out of Skagway? I guess driving to Emerald Lake and back is a easy drive? We just need our passports? Is gas extremely high? I am just wondering if we should do this or a motor coach from our cruise boat? I would much rather rent a car and do my own thing.

I dare say ALL U.S. citizens who rent cars in Skagway drive across the border.

Do a search here and you'll read post after post after post of people doing it.

Nothing was ever said about us not taking the car across the border and I've never read of anyone else having it said to them.

TravelLover: I reserved a car through Avis a few weeks ago for our trip in June. The "Estimated Cost", including taxes is about $77.00 USD for a full-size. The base-rate is $66.60 USD.

Thanks to others for the clarification about renting and driving to Canada. I had thought it was OK but started to get confused.

From what I understand there really wouldn't be a great need to rent a car in Skagway if it wasn't for the fact that you were going to go into Canada - only 1 road and not much of a reason to have a car just to do Skagway.

Someone mentioned Dyea - but from what I have read Avis doesn't want anyone taking their cars there as they are not built for the road.

From looking at Murrays guide the border isn't very far from Skagway.

About how much is a normal amount to rent a car for the day thru Avis out of Skagway? I guess driving to Emerald Lake and back is a easy drive? We just need our passports? Is gas extremely high? I am just wondering if we should do this or a motor coach from our cruise boat? I would much rather rent a car and do my own thing.

I didn't rent a car from Avis. But I can answer your other questions.

1. Yes, it is a very easy drive, just like many other well maintained state Highway

2. Yes, you need your passports

3. Ironicaly, Alaska has the highest gas price in the nation. It was about $3.20 when my hometown gas station was $2.70. It was Spetember, 2006

4. I would prefer rent a car, especially if you can round up another couple to share the cost of rental and gas. It gives you more freedom. You can go and stop anywhere you want and when you want it.

Thank you all. We are going to do that. Even with gas it will be half the price of us both doing the motor coach to the lake and back. This way we can spend the day and do stops where we want.

Avis online and when I called base price on a full size is $79 so it was $90 with fees and taxes so I did not get as good a deal. But I will keep checking b/w now and then and if it goes down I will call again.

I cannot wait.

Archived