Golf - where have you played, what have you brought?

mangowife

Just curious as to how many cruisers have played a round of golf while in port. Which ports/courses have you played, would you recommend it? Also, not sure if we want to bring our shoes/clubs on the cruise since we'd use them for just one activity. Any suggestions?

Right now, we're researching the golf courses in Jamaica (Montego Bay), although we're open to playing in a different port, too. I posted a similar question on the Jamaica board, but zero responses. We're also looking for opinions on golf excursions through the ship vs. booked directly with the clubhouse.

Would love to hear your golf stories! Thanks in advance!

P.S. Just wanted to add that DH and I will be on the Freedom in December, so the ports are: Cozumel, Montego Bay, Grand Cayman and Labadee.

We've played a lot in the Caribbean and Hawaii from cruise ships over the years. Have not played any courses in the Western Caribbean, so can't help with courses there.

We have always taken our own clubs and shoes and found some place in the cabin to put them so they weren't in the way.

Recommend taking the ship's tours for golf as they have tee times and you have transportation to/from the course. We've always done that and it worked well.

Have fun, all the courses we've played in the Caribbean are interesting.

We've played several courses in the Caribbean and Hawaii on land vacations. The only time we played on a cruise was in Bermuda. It was a spur of the moment type thing. We didn't have clubs or shoes or anything. We rented the clubs at the course, just wore our tennis shoes....I think I bought some balls and a glove.....really had a lot of fun. We made our reservations through RCI and they put us with another couple and we just had the best time. I would never drag my clubs and shoes and the whole 9 yards on a cruise.

I am a huge golf lover and I've never taken the sticks on a cruise, simply not worth it. In the MoBay area there are a few good courses, probably 2-3 or so.

Unless you are a diehard golfer, I'd skip golf on a cruise. I know I do, and I'm a fanatic :).

I am a huge golf lover and I've never taken the sticks on a cruise, simply not worth it. In the MoBay area there are a few good courses, probably 2-3 or so.

Unless you are a diehard golfer, I'd skip golf on a cruise. I know I do, and I'm a fanatic :).

Your post makes me reconsider... I'm nowhere near being a "diehard" golfer, but the idea of playing on a gorgeous seaside course appeals to me, especially in Montego Bay. I think reading all the posts about the possible excursions in Mo Bay usually mentioned don't really excite us (Dunns Falls - long bus ride, beaches - I think we'll get plenty of beach time in Cozumel and Labadee, and plenty of others who prefer not to get off the ship at all). So, I thought a round of golf (even a 9-hole course) seemed like an interesting option. The downside is the high price, but we may be able to swing it (ha!), and we'd likely bring our shoes and balls but not our clubs. Still trying to convince DH, though.

Thanks everyone for your replies so far! Keep 'em coming!

We've golfed twice in Cozumel and booked through RCI once. It was around $140/person. This included clubs, green fees and golf cart. We were teamed with two other players from the ship. The ship's golf pro booked the tee time and arranged the transportation to the course. He had a few sets of clubs on the ship.

Nothing special about the course but it was fun. We did this in the summer so it was very hot. The course was quite dry and not very green at that time of the year. The last time was 2005. Saw a lot of iguanas.

The wife and I have played golf at:

Mahogany Run in St Thomas

Mullet Bay in St Maarten

Tierra del Sol in Aruba

Cozumel County Club

St Lucia Country Club (got my 1st hole in one on #16)

Sandy Lane in Barbados

Barbados Country Club

Runaway Bay in Jamaica

Cedar Valley in Antigua

We have alwas taken our clubs and shoes, but will play golf at least twice on a trip to offset the hassle of dragging the golf gear. Mahogany Run and Tierra del Sol have great ocean views. Other course are mostly inalnd. Mullet Bay is built around a lagoon. Cozumel had alligators in every water hazard - sometimes sunning themselves on the banks. Can't say we've really had a bad golf experience, but I'd rather be on the golf course than lounging on the beach any day. You can find more info on each course on one of several helpful websites. Have fun.

Living on The Grand Strand we play golf 100-150 times a year but not on cruise vacations. No way am I going to lug all my clubs and gear around in addition to everything else.

I have two experiences, however. I signed up for the golf excursion on the Sovereign and got two confirmations but on the morning I was supposed to play received a notice that the excursion had been canceled due to not enough participants. Experience #2 was a weekend trip to Disney World where I rented clubs and played the Palms course. The clubs were bad, the course was in terrible shape and the round cost me over $300.

Having said all that I still have the urge to play new courses in exotic places but I do my best to resist the temptation.:)

We rented the clubs at the course' date=' just wore our tennis shoes....I think I bought some balls and a glove.....really had a lot of fun. We made our reservations through RCI and they put us with another couple and we just had the best time. I would never drag my clubs and shoes and the whole 9 yards on a cruise.[/quote']

That would be the way I would like to do it. Doubt they have left handed rentals though! Cruel world!

mich.jpg

Rokcop - We've played some of the courses you have.

Mahogany Run in St Thomas - Devils Triangle is worth the cost. Played it twice.

Mullet Bay in St Maarten - The resort was destroyed by a hurricane, the course is just open for locals now, I believe.

Tierra del Sol in Aruba - A windy desert course on an island. Great views.

Sandy Lane in Barbados - OK with some good views. Thought it was overpriced at the time.

Cedar Valley in Antigua - As the excursion guy said on the ship, you could top a ball 200 yards. Dry and hard. The only green was the tees and greens. Like the British open, you had to watch the ball on the ground for a long time.

Also played Teeth of the Dog in the Dominican Republic - The 7 holes along the ocean are outstanding.

If you're a golfer and don't live in California or Florida, you should play a Caribbean course at least once.

PaulWN, have you played the new courses at Sandy Lane that were featured in Golf Mag a few months ago? I believe one is hosting a World Cup event.

We vacationed at Sandy Lane several years in the 80's prior to the renovations. It was a nice spot.

mangowife: We have in fact played golf in Montego Bay!!!!! This was off the Carnival Conquest in 3/03. We played the White Witch (connected to the Ritz Carlton Resort). Excellent course, unbelievable views (our group consisted of: 3 golfers and 4 that mearly rode along in their own golf carts for the scenery and views). Absolutely an unbelievable course and yes our non golfers had a fabulous time as well (and they are NOT golfers). This is easily one of the best Caribbean courses IMHO.

We actually took a ships excursion, but would not hesitate to do this course on our own. We met others who arranged this on their own. Believe the course will help w/ transportation options. We also used the ships rental clubs (not the greatest, but they were plenty functional), gloves, shoes, and golf balls (purchased the glove and balls at very reasonable prices).

BillOh: (your coin aside :rolleyes: ) You can in fact rent left handed clubs at most courses!!! While you may not be able to get rentals thru the ships, the courses generally have them available (and usually in better shape as they are not used as much ;) ). Would simply check w/ the desired course and make sure you reserved a set long before you get there!

Bruce

Just re-read this post and realized I left out one of the best caribbean courses we played - Blue Bay Golf & Beach Resort in Curacao. Many holes are right along the ocean, with waves crashing the rocks as you approach the 18th green. We played Mullet Bay (St Maarten) in '98 I think and the course was in fine condition but the conference center had been demolished by the hurricane of '95. On our last visit last March, a local told me the property is tied up in probate, but the course is in much better shape and open for play. PaulWN - I have to agree with your description of Cedar Valley since I lost a few balls I know originally landed in the fairway. When we played Sandy Lane it was only 9 holes, but they have since added 18 more holes.

I'm by no means a golf fanatic, or even a good golfer for that matter, but I find the experience of playing golf in the islands worth the money and the hassle. Next cruise is to Alaska, but the DW said we won't be driving two hours to "60 degrees North" to play golf.

We played Sandy Lane in 94 and there was 18 holes. Remember one par three on a hill between 2 houses to the green way down there looking out over the ocean. Great view.

Glad to hear that Mullet Bay is open and in good shape. It was a good resort course, good scenery and not too hard.

Friends of ours own(ed) a condo there and are still waiting for anything to be resolved. Seems to be a fight between a couple attorneys.

For those that like to play golf in the Caribbean, if you ever get to the Dominican Rebublic, play Teeth of the Dog. Dye said he built 11 holes and God built the other 7. He was right.

Last February we had a mini-tournament at the Cozumel Country Club. About 24 members of our group of 120 people played there. Most of us brought our own clubs, but a few rented. We arranged our own tee times and transportation. The club was very lovely and we all had a great time. The food and drinks at the open air club bar were excellent. My husband and I kept our clubs in the cases on our balcony and they were not in the way at all. We are planning on doing this again when we go this coming February.

Archived