What happened to my BREAD PUDDING???

anley

After boarding the Amsterdam Oct 17 I went up to Lido with great anticipation

to find my delicious bread pudding. Alas there was an imposter there. It was there every day of the cruise.I was on Noordam March15,2006 and Westerdam March 2005 and loved every morsel I consumed.

Did someone lose the recipe or did someone with no tastebuds decide to change it. The fringe benefit to this travesty is that I gained less weight than usual.

Does anyone have the answer?

Stan:cool::cool:

After boarding the Amsterdam Oct 17 I went up to Lido with great anticipation to find my delicious bread pudding. Alas there was an imposter there. It was there every day of the cruise.I was on Noordam March15,2006 and Westerdam March 2005 and loved every morsel I consumed. Did someone lose the recipe or did someone with no tastebuds decide to change it. The fringe benefit to this travesty is that I gained less weight than usual.

your post reads like it was a very tasty imposter --- imposter or not it didnt keep you away from it---------------why did you keep eating it if it had no taste-----------maybe it just needed more sauce

I thought the bread pudding on Westerdam last week was as good as ever. there was no charge for bar drinks at the captain's reception, don't know about the lemonade, but we did have pink lemonade at the conclusion of the "Walk for the Cure".

We managed to consume lots of bread pudding - of course, with the custard sauce - on our recent Zaandam trip. It was absolutely delicious except for the last day when it appeared someone got carried away with the raisins.

However, the recipe is in the HAL cookbook where it's called Bread and Butter pudding. You'll have to buy the cookbook because I really don't feel it's appropriate for me to plagiarize it here...:D

I understand the cookbook is available on Amazon... for less than the $29.95 I paid.

Karenlynne

Just came from the Noordam and the bread pudding was fine, as always. The drink problem you heard about was someone wanting an item that was not on the "free drink" menu -- of course they got charged. Can't have everything.

TomC <

Thanks it is a relief now..knowing on the ms Noordam IV finding good bread (and butter) bread pudding is still a consistant staple and not a chore. It was in great again on her March 2006 AD so again thank you , again, so much for telling me such.

:cool:

Just came from the Noordam and the bread pudding was fine, as always. The drink problem you heard about was someone wanting an item that was not on the "free drink" menu -- of course they got charged. Can't have everything.

I managed to eat more than my share the week we were on Westerdam (ok.. maybe more than DW's share as well) Seemed as good as ever to me (and yes, one MUST have the vanilla sauce with it).

Wife bought me the cook book as an early b'day present so we'll have to try it at home.

Didn't go to the Captain's reception so can't weigh in on drink controversy and don't drink lemonade so can't report on that either. WAS able to get goldfish in the bars mid-day simply by asking.

Now if they really want to step up the service, ditch the goldfish and make bread pudding available in the bars. *S*

I have so been looking foward to my first HAL cruise, and lately all I hear are remarks about its diminishing quality: afternoon tea is rushed and not "properly done", the Captains Cocktail party is charging for drinks, no lemonade, and now this!!??

What is luxury on the high seas coming to??:p

I went to afternoon tea several times on the 10/17 Amsterdam cruise, and I never felt in the slightest bit rushed. Service was very elegant and the scones and other nibbles they served were delicious.

As for the bread pudding ... I'm gonna probably rile a lot of people up with this comment, but frankly, I never liked the way HAL did it anyway ... so it's nothing I will miss. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

I understand the cookbook is available on Amazon... for less than the $29.95 I paid.

I wonder if that cookbook is autographed if you buy it onboard?

I noticed them selling that HAL cookbook all over the ship on my recent Amsterdam cruise. But, I didn't buy one. I made that mistake on Princess in 2005 ... paid top dollar for their cookbook thinking it would be something my dad would really like. The cookbook was delivered to my cabin the next day ... because the Executive Chef had to autograph it. I lug this huge thing home in my luggage only to have dad say he ain't cooking any of that stuff because it's loaded with butter and all manner of things that "ain't good for you." :( So, since I can't imagine he would be any more willing to cook the HAL dishes, I didn't bother with the cookbook. After all, I can barely find my way around the kitchen ... let alone cook some of those elaborate dishes. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

I'm gonna probably rile a lot of people up with this comment, but frankly, I never liked the way HAL did it anyway ... so it's nothing I will miss. :)
I have to admit I agree with you. I make a pretty good bread pudding (if I do say so myself) and found the stuff served on the Volendam and the Veendam to be fairly bland. Also, the custard tastes like it came from a mix. I always make mine from scratch and the difference is noticeable.

I got the cookbook on Maasdam this summer and really like it. It wasn't autographed.

Not to worry about sharing the Bread Pudding Recipe here on the Board. It has been posted several times in the past from the recipe HAL has handed out for years. Often they place a copy of the recipe on the buffet table beside the bread pudding.

If anyone wants it posted again, I'll be happy to post it here.

From A Taste of Excellence Cookbook by Rudi Sodamin

Classic Bread-and-Butter Pudding

1 1/2 pounds good-quality day-old sliced white bread, crusts trimmed and slices cut into cubes

6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

1 quart whole milk

6 eggs beaten

3 egg yolks, beaten

3/4 cup sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

3/4 cup raisins *

Confectioners' sugar for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Butter eight 12 ounce ramekins or a 9" x 13" baking dish. Have on hand a roasting pan large enough to hold the ramekins or baking dish, and line it with a folded kitchen towel.

Place bread cubes in a bowl. Drizzle and toss w/ melted butter. Spread out on a baking sheet and toast in the oven, stirring once, until lightly golden, about 8 - 10 minutes.

In a saucepan, bring milk to a simmer over medium heat. Meanwhile, in a large bowl whisk whole eggs, egg yolks and sugar until blended. Gradually whisk in hot milk. Stir in vanilla.

To Assemble:

Divide half the bread cubes among prepared ramekins (or layer in prepared baking dish). Top with half the raisins. Cover with remaining bread cubes and raisins. Ladle custard evenly over bread cubes and raisins. Let stand until some custard is absorved, about 20 minutes.

To Bake:

Bring a large kettle of water to a boil. Place ramekins or baking dish in roasting pan and transfer to oven. Add enough boiling water to pan to reach halfway up side of ramekins (or baking dish). Bake puddings in middle of oven for 45 minutes until puffed and just set. Carefully remove roasting pan from oven and remove dishes. Let cool slightly and serve while still warm, sprinkled with confectioners' sugar.

*Author's Note: Try soaking raisins in a little rum or cognac for 30 minutes before adding them. Or, instead of raisins, substitute dried cherries and chocolate chips.

I cannot find in the cookbook where they give the Vanilla Sauce Recipe but I have it from Zuiderdam....the Kitchen of Executive Chef Franz J. Schaunig.

Vanilla Sauce

To Make about 1 quart:

1 quart milk

10 egg yolks

12 ounces sugar

1 pc Vanilla bean

Bring milk and sugar to boil; add cut vanilla bean and let cool down for a minute.

Beat egg yolks and slowly add hot milk while whipping the egg yolks.

Put in a hot waterbath and constantly whip sauce until it gets thick. Do not bring to a boil.

Enjoy!!!

As for the bread pudding ... I'm gonna probably rile a lot of people up with this comment, but frankly, I never liked the way HAL did it anyway ... so it's nothing I will miss. :) Blue skies ...--rita

Now I like bread and occasionally I enjoy pudding but the thought of old bread baked in milk and egg, just does not do it for me either.

I have to admit I agree with you. I make a pretty good bread pudding (if I do say so myself) and found the stuff served on the Volendam and the Veendam to be fairly bland. Also, the custard tastes like it came from a mix. I always make mine from scratch and the difference is noticeable.

Must be like my mother's used to be. She's gone now ... but I have many fond memories of her bread pudding and the way she made it. HAL could never compare ... nor anyone else, for that matter. Mom always did it best.

Blue skies ...

--rita

My mom used to make this absolutely fabulous chocolate bread pudding - which I still make for my family. It has no raisins in it, but does have cinnamon, giving it that "Mexican chocolate" flavor. I have never baked it in a water bath, just put it in the oven. Also, I made a nicely tart lemon sauce to go with it. Of course, cold vanilla ice cream on hot bread pudding is OK, too.

And Sue, remember I watched you eat that bread pudding last week. Love to you and Mom.

Karenlynne (no Marsha)

Thank you for posting it Sail. :D My DH had it everyday for lunch last week on the Westerdam.

I think I'll surprise him and make it for Thanksgiving, along with the pies. Since we're going to his brother's house with 24 other people, it will be interesting to see which one goes the fastest. :)

I got the cookbook on Maasdam this summer and really like it. It wasn't autographed.

Not to worry about sharing the Bread Pudding Recipe here on the Board. It has been posted several times in the past from the recipe HAL has handed out for years. Often they place a copy of the recipe on the buffet table beside the bread pudding.

If anyone wants it posted again, I'll be happy to post it here.

Thank you for posting the recipe, sail7seas! ;)

Archived