Mexican pottery

laidbackin LA

The pottery is okay for plants. It has a very high lead content. It is fired poorly also. I lived in Mexico for several years and love the pottery. I always bring some back with me. I am fortunate also to have a relative who imports the gorgeous pots. They make a splendiferous display in all their colorful finery. I also love the glassware. I have used the hand blown glasses for years. You must be careful of the pitchers. The handles tend to break off very easily. You could be serving your guests or yourselves a lap full of hurt. For those of you going to Cabo,the glass factory has a lot to offer. The shops in Cabo do not barter very much. They have the tourists over a barrel. They know the folks will pay what they ask. They figure if you can afford the cruise they can overcharge with a clear conscience. The cruise industry has been an absolute boon to the Mexican economy. When I lived in Cabo you could get the inevitable blue rimmed glasses for .75. I have digressed,icon10.gif your patios will look beautiful with an array of colorful pots. Enjoy. The pots are readily available in all the tourist stops. Pack them well, they can be very fragile. Check carefully for hairline cracks. I will be in Cabo next week. Leaving 11/11 on OOSTERDAM. I am very excited.icon12.gif

In the old town section on the eastern side of Rio Cuale in P. Vallarta - there is a beautiful shop with pottery, tiles etc.,

Also many things can be ordered and/or custom made.

http://www.talavera-tile.com/

In the past we have (and friends too) bought some very nice tiles etc. there.

Take a yellow cab (not the expensive white ones at the port) to the shop. You will love it.

One of the highlights of a land tour to Mexico in 2005 was the opportunity to visit Mata Ortiz and to watch a daughter of Juan Quesada fire a beautiful pot. For those who are interested in collecting pottery, Mata Ortiz pottery can be purchased in many places in Northern Mexico and in New Mexico.

For those unfamiliar with Mata Ortiz and Juan Quesada, Mata Ortiz is a dusty town of about 3000 about 150 miles south of the Mexican-US border. Juan Quesada, born in 1940, a young ranch hand, found ceramic shards left by the PaquimP Indians. By trial and error, he proceeded to reinvented methods to make this beautiful, handmade pottery. His work was discovered in a New Mexico junk shop by anthropologist Spencer MacCallum in 1976. As his pottery began to sell, Juan taught others in Mata Ortiz to make pots. Today over 400 in the small village of Mata Ortiz make pottery and it is the principle occupation. Today Juan Quesada pots sell for as much as $7000 to $10000! However lower priced Mata Ortiz pots may be purchased for between $50 and $300.

However, this pottery is definitely for display, not for use for plants, etc.:)

On our shore excursion in La Paz in 2002 they took us to Ibarra's Pottery. I bought a slim vase? holder? which I use to store pencils. My DH argued that it would break in the suitcase coming home but it made it just fine. I wouldn't hesitate to go back. Of course I don't know about eating off their dishes in terms of lead content. I saved the paperwork and they list an address and phone but no Internet address back then.

The interesting thing is that we just bought some travel DVDs and on the Mexican DVD there was a brief view of a pottery place that I swear was Ibarra's because I saw a whole row of pottery on a shelf that was the same size and design colors as mine. I should go back for more!

In the old town section on the eastern side of Rio Cuale in P. Vallarta - there is a beautiful shop with pottery, tiles etc.,

Also many things can be ordered and/or custom made.

http://www.talavera-tile.com/

In the past we have (and friends too) bought some very nice tiles etc. there.

Take a yellow cab (not the expensive white ones at the port) to the shop. You will love it.

Goeie avond Ine, hoe gaat het? Good to see you behind your PC again!:)

I'm pretty sure we are thinking about the same pottery store in PV. That one is actually part of one of Oosterdam's shore excursion and you get to spend about 45 minutes to an hour in there. They do have nice stuff and they ship!

IMG_2678.JPG.568ed7fae3c4d24fcd77fb8c2e7fc669.JPG

I have both pottery and hand-blown glass from Mexico. It will say "lead-free" on the back of the pottery if it is. I have a platter I've used for years that I throw in the oven even to melt cheese on nachos. No chips, no cracks on any of my pieces.

As for the glass: I have wine glasses and a gorgeous pitcher - also have had both for several years. No breakage, chips, or cracks. Handle is very strong. They're very sturdy. In fact, I throw the wine glasses into the dishwasher even! (Pitcher is too big to fit.)

Also have several Mexican blankets - they wash beautifully and never fade or unweave.

And my silver jewelry - GORGEOUS.

Everything I've purchased in Mexico has been very well made from quality materials. Even the tequila! :D

Goeie avond Ine, hoe gaat het? Good to see you behind your PC again!:)

I'm pretty sure we are thinking about the same pottery store in PV. That one is actually part of one of Oosterdam's shore excursion and you get to spend about 45 minutes to an hour in there. They do have nice stuff and they ship!

Hi John.

It looks like the same shop, one of my favorites to go to when in P. Vallarta. I would love to buy their small bathroom sinks (Wastafel), but donot dare to take the risk it might break on the way home and it is very heavy of course.

I am doing rather fine, but am impatient enough to want more....

I check my mails and the boards just briefly.

Archived