Ever been upgraded & then downgraded?

mkgcars

So my docs showed up and indicate 1 rm, but the TA site shows another.

I called TA site and they first indicated rm1 but then said, "Oh wait you've been updated to rm2".

If I go to the Carnival site and try to buy a gift it takes the 2nd rm# and fails on the 1st rm. So it appears Carnival is recognizing the upgrade.

Question:

Has anyone who booked a particular cabin and then been upgraded, ever then gotten downgraded by the sail date?

Cruise is 17 days away so I'm hoping time is on my side and the upgrade is for keeps.

matt

Background:

The day I booked a cat 8 GTY was $669, and you could book particular cabin for $779. There was a special upgrade offer so I had the choice of a balcony cabin on the Lido deck. It was a bit forward for me so I selected another balcony cabin on Upper which was a 8A. The TA site indicates: 8A Lido rm#(on Empress)

We booked a gty once, were upgraded (looking on the website - our docs always said TBA and we were never assigned a room number), then were downgraded the morning of sailing to the minimum we booked - at first was disappointed, but then absolutely loved the cabin.

Upgrades are really overrated unless you move to a totally different catergory, or go from no balcony to balcony room. Moving up or down a few decks isn't much of a change based on all the cruises we've been on. The only time the upgrade was really sweet was when we went from a standard balcony room to a junioir suite. This was the Thanksgiving right after 9/11 so Carnival was dealing with LOTS of cancellations. As they dropped rates to fill the ship the pushed us up and let all the last minute bargain shoppers get our rooms.

I'd think that since the kiddos are out of school, even partially, for that week, that more families would be sailing.

This is a week I've been onboard many times & it is a lot slower in terms of kids & people in general. As for the ships going out full, they would like you to believe that but I was just on the Paradise & a crew member told me they have been sailing approx 600 PAX short for about a month.

• 4 weeks later...

Well we didn't get moved out of the cat 12 room.

I guess the great upgrade was partically due to both of us being 'platinum' VIPs (10th or more cruise). Neither of us had sailed since this program was put in place.

The platinum program lets you bypass the lines for initial check-in and for keys. You still have to wait in the line to get on the ship. Still - we must have saved at least an 1.5-2 hrs bypassing those lines at peak boarding hours. There are some other small perks as well. For custom's at Saint Thomas we got to bypass the line and go up front. They also give you some personal stationary (with your name on it), and a free entrance to a $20 blackjack tournament as well as some other booking priorities for the Spa. It also lets you be the first off the ship (after those who are debarking and carrying their own bags).

matt

Archived