question regarding transportation to port of miami

barbs512

Flying into Delray Beach the night before our cruise on Voyager of the Seas. There will be four of us on the cruise, and I've been trying to find an inexpenive way of getting to the Miami port from Delray. If you take the TRI Rail from Delray to Miami, is that far from the port? How much would it cost by taxi from the train station to the ship. Are you better getting off at Miami Airport Station or the Metrorail transfer station to catch a taxi. Any help would be appreciated!

It's a long slow trip by TriRail, and not easy with lots of luggage. I'd probably rent a car and make sure that the office you drop the car off at can take you to the port. There should be such an office in downtown Miami, which is very close to the port.

Les

The few quotes I got so far for round trip transportation from Delray to the Miami Port is almost as much as my airfare from California to Florida. I'm not at all familiar with Tri Rail in S. Florida, except for its only $10 bucks each way for the 4 of us on Saturday to the Miami area. Wasn't sure where Trirail takes you relative to where the ship docks. I am concerned though about taking all that luggage on the Tri-Rail, and was wondering if anyone has tried that option before. One of the posts mentions its a long slow ride which isn't too exciting the day of the cruise. Any other opinions.

Delray is far from Miami, so I'm sure cab would be expensive. We only took tri rail once years ago. We went to Bayside which is near the port. I just remember it taking forever. We weren't cruising then, so we had no luggage. We went for the shopping. And I think we had to switch trains.

Good luck finding a reasonable cost way to get to your cruise.

We are flying into Ft Lauderdale the day before the cruise and staying in Delray Beach overnight. My dad lives in Delray, and we are going there first to help him get to Port of Miami and back. The quotes of $220 RT to the port seemed rather pricey to me. Rather use that money for shore excursions! Found the Tri-Rail option on the internet from Delray to either Miami Airport Station or the Metrorail transfer station and was just wondering if that was a reasonable mode of transportation to the port. If my husband was coming along this trip, I'd have him rent a car and drive us down. But, I'm not comfortable driving in Miami and my daughter and her boyfriend are not old enough to rent a car. Any other opinions on S. Florida's Tri Rail

We are flying into Ft Lauderdale the day before the cruise and staying in Delray Beach overnight. My dad lives in Delray, and we are going there first to help him get to Port of Miami and back. The quotes of $220 RT to the port seemed rather pricey to me. Rather use that money for shore excursions! Found the Tri-Rail option on the internet from Delray to either Miami Airport Station or the Metrorail transfer station and was just wondering if that was a reasonable mode of transportation to the port. If my husband was coming along this trip, I'd have him rent a car and drive us down. But, I'm not comfortable driving in Miami and my daughter and her boyfriend are not old enough to rent a car. Any other opinions on S. Florida's Tri Rail

Does your Dad own a car??? Then your daughter or her boyfriend could drive that. If not, I'd start checking with every bus and limo company and try to find a way other then the tri rail. Sorry, I don't know of any to recommend.

It's about 50 miles and an hour drive from Delray Beach to the Port of Miami, so I'm not surprised at the $220RT quote. It's about an 80 minute ride from the Delray TriRail station to the Miami airport station (when it actually runs on time), and then depending upon traffic, another 15 to 25 minutes by taxi to the port. Getting lots of luggage on and off TriRail won't be easy. I wish you luck.

Les... sounds like you are familiar with TriRail. Where would you get off to catch the taxi Miami Airport Station or the Metrorail transfer station. There will be lots of luggage for 4 people and a wheel chair. I wish me luck! The $220 RT seemed way high, but the TriRail is starting to sound less appealing. Wouldn't it be better on weekends though, without all the commuters. Did notice on website that it only runs every 2 hours on weekends. Want to make sure I get on board in time for lunch!

One more thought, but I don't know if it will work since I've never done it myself. What if you rent a car in your name and add your daughter as an extra driver??? I don't know what extra drivers cost and if they can be under 25, but it won't hurt to check.

If you can get transportation to the FLL airport which is much closer to Delray beach, you can buy an airport transfer from RCCL for $28/pp ($56/pp roundtrip). It doesn't matter to RCCL that you are not flying in that day, just that you get to the airport in time to make the bus. The big bonus is that it takes you right to the ship.

If you must take TriRail, I'd probably go to the Miami Airport station--the Metrorail transfer station is farther from the port--but I've only been to the Metrorail transfer station. Again, doing this with lots of luggage and a wheelchair won't be for the faint of heart. KateO's idea is probably the most practical.

Les

I'm hoping that TriRail is not as busy on weekends in S. Florida, any chance of that? I have no idea what to expect. KateO's idea is still over $220+ RT but still have the problem getting from Delray to FLL. I will take your suggestion and get off at Miami Airport station. Wonder if there are taxis closeby

Archived