Century 10/6/06 to 11/9/06, A Work In Progress

C 2 C

• 2 weeks later...
I hope Galaxy people see that windows can be replaced...after years of looking "through" nearly opaque windows. On Century a few were replaced:

That would indeed be good: I shall certainly inspect the Portals of Obscurity next June.

I recall that Magwa was surprised to find the Hemisphere lounge windows (on Century) did not appear to have been renewed (or at least, not all of them) when she went on the 3-day post-refit inaugural in the English Channel. Obviously, what you saw was that bit of work finally getting done. I wonder why it was late? I suppose it could have been due to either pressure of work - getting the rest of the refit finished - or non-availability of the windows.

On a more general point: how would you compare Century now with Galaxy?

I was on the 25th September Century sailing and I was amazed to find that some of the windows in the Spa Cafe were like the dreaded windows on Galaxy "misted" Perhaps they too had not been removed and will be as some later date.

Sue

Arno, thanks very much. I really enjoyed reading your account and looking at the pictures. Quite a sight with all the crew of the Wasp on deck. I remember being on Galaxy and as we left San Juan we passed Century going the other way. The horn blasting between the two ships even then sent the hairs on the back of the neck on end.

I'm looking forward to my first trip on Century next April and suspect that a 5 day cruise in the Caribbean during Spring Break will be another experience altogether;)

Phil

On a more general point: how would you compare Century now with Galaxy?

Century is at the top of my X list, Galaxy is second to last, (Zenith has that distinction.)

I spent more time in the spa area because 34 days cruising requires some serious work.. (Total weight gain 1 pound). Althought some will miss the T-pool, I found the spa area very welcoming visually. The new machines and their location were great compared to Galaxy. The new decking on Century's pool deck made the ship look new. On Galaxy the rust is not even painted over where the surface has been worn away. I love the forward observation lounge as my living room while at sea and the "Portals of Obscurity" throughout Galaxy kept me from seeing what I came to see: the sea.

But the greatest difference was the staff.

slotaddict mentioned the importance of the CD's role on board. Allan King was involved directly with daily trivias. Shawn Cavanag on Galaxy was seldom seen even though his staff did a great job. When a novice has to fill in, the skill required by this position becomes painfully obvious.

The Master's role also has an effect on ship morale. The picture of me with Celebrity staff on Century would not have been possible on Galaxy. At our Elite/officers party, Century's staff was there. On Galaxy they were obvious by their absence. One Galaxy staffer mentioned "the captain does not believe he is a tourist guide".

A ship does not a cruise make. It's the people you meet whether it's crew or passengers. While on Century, (which has a much better library) I read Up Country by Nelson DeMille. He ends his book on Vietnam by writing:

"along the way we discover that the journey is more significant than the destination and that the people we meet along the way will be the traveling companions of our memories forever."

Whatever ship you're on, look past the less than perfect weather, the food, the missed ports, the less than perfect ship. Connect with the people you're sailing with.

Arno, thanks very much. I really enjoyed reading your account and looking at the pictures. Quite a sight with all the crew of the Wasp on deck. I remember being on Galaxy and as we left San Juan we passed Century going the other way. The horn blasting between the two ships even then sent the hairs on the back of the neck on end.

I'm looking forward to my first trip on Century next April and suspect that a 5 day cruise in the Caribbean during Spring Break will be another experience altogether;)

Phil

Wow Phil, a spring break cruise, you are a better person than I. I dont; think I would ever consider one, but I guess if the price was right!!!!!!!!!!

Arno: I'm enjoying your "picture" review. You hit many of your key events and highlights and the progress of the Century. What a nice way to feel/taste the flavor of your cruise. Nice sentiment about the people connection too.

Phil: Spring break cruise. If it gets too unruly, just remind yourself of taking the hydrofoil from Capri back to Naples and spring break will seem very tame in comparison! We've been on a couple 10 or 11-night spring-break cruises out of Baltimore and they weren't too bad, but there were a lot more children and a few rude passengers. Was the Galaxy-Century horn blasting on the cruise where we met you? We had the horn blasting on at least one of our Galaxy cruises. I find it exciting and a pleasant sign of camaraderie. I like it when we are sailing and we see another cruise ship at sea or in port with us (like Century & Millennium in Naples!), especially when it is a ship we have been on, want to go on, or is a Celebrity ship -- and especially if one of your friends is on the other ship and you are meeting to enjoy the port together.

slotaddict: I agree; I enjoy reading the different cruise experiences (good, bad, or mixed) because it prepares me to make better decisions about how I might handle the situation. Since we're all experienced cruisers (some of you much more than I), we know that sometimes the experiences are subjective and may not be the same as we would experience, but it is still helpful to read of the experiences.

Kathy

Roe, I'm up to the challenge. There are quite a few of us getting on after a trip on Constellation, just for a short cruise to see what Century is like. If it all gets too much, then we'll just hunker down in the cabins;)

Kathy, indeed it was on our trip in 2003 (wow, time flies). I've just looked the picture up on Webshots. Happy memories of that trip:)

Phil

the 5 nt we are getting ready to do on Century. Will there be a lot of children? Although it's a shorter cruise I figured since it was just outside the window of Christmas vacation time for schools that we may luck out on the amount of children. The thing I loved the most on our last cruise was that the amount of children on Celebrity was much much less than on Royal Caribbean, but that was also a 14 nt cruise. Thoughts?

My favorite place to eat and just sit (as with another 1,000 guests trying to get my table). The tables were not varnished and I believe stains will prove hard to remove.

Arno,

When was this photograph taken please. I think the couple sat at the stern are my wife and I. We sailed on the 6th October from Barcelona, the same day as you did and we went to the Connections Party. We too thought the CD was very good.

Regards,

Colin (Cosmic Rays/Tourism Support)

• 1 month later...

I'll be back on my favorite Celebrity ship on Thursday. If you have any questions about "my":D ship feel free to ask and I'll try to answer any new questions...

Near Detroit there's ice on the trees, the temperature is falling and in two days I'm flying to Miami:

" I must down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,

To the gull's way and the whale's way where the wind's like a whetted knife;

And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover

And quiet sleep and a sweet dream ...." By John Masefield (1878-1967).

14 nights of bliss....

Archived