Changed out Itinerary South America 2007

yogagal47

Our agent just passed on a message from SeaDream informing us that they have dropped a port from our November Rio to Buenos Aires cruise for next year. This port was to include a complimentary air excursion to Iguacu Falls. Now SeaDream proposes to give us a 400pp shipboard credit. I feel that this is unfair. Shouldn't they discount the fare since this was part of the cost of the cruise? Why compensate us with this kind of credit and how would we spend it? I would certainly appreciate feedback from any of you SeaDream experts. Thanks!

That is very strange that they are dropping the Iguacu Falls excurison for 2007 before they even started the 2006 season. I think their first one goes on December 1. Any any rate, I would also expect a reduced fare vs. a $400 pp shipboard credit. How many people spend that much in the spa? And there isn't much of a gift shop. I wouldn't be pleased with that compensation.

Add me to the list of folks who got the same message (for Jan 2008) and agree that the discount should come off the price of the trip. The ship credit, by the way, could be used for other shore excursions, laundry, etc. as well as spa services. I am surprised by this since when we had problems on the SeaDream 2 last month they were significantly more generous. Maxine

Ah yes, excursions. Forgot about using shipboard credit for those. But still . . . we booked the Rio-BA itinerary for Jan 7 ('07) just for the Falls trip. I wonder why they are canceling it for 2008??

The more I think about this the more I am convinced we pre-booked SeaDreamers should make a significant complaint as to the cavalier way they are handling this major change in the itinerary and excursion. Appparently they are considering putting together an excursion to the falls from Buenas Aires. However, we will have to bear the added expense of a stay in B.A. and the $400 WILL NOT BE APPLICABLE to the charge for the trip. What say you out there??? Maxine

I have inquired and learned that the included Iguacu Falls excursion remains unaffected for this current (2006/2007) season but will not be included as part of the voyage offering next (2007/2008) season. The company is currently working on plans to include a trip to the Falls as an optional add on next season. As has been already reported here, guests booked on 2007/2008 voyages that originally included excursions to the Falls will be compensated.

I don't know the reason for the change. It could be a number of things. Perhaps the company concluded that some passengers weren't interested in the excursion (had already been there, not interested in the long day of travel, etc.) and they decided it wasn't fair to spread the expense among all passengers when only a certain percentage was going to participate?

At least the decision was made and announced far enough in advance to allow passengers plenty of time to decide for themselves how it impacts their travel plans.

Ours was a cruise for late '07 and the excursion is cancelled and we are offered the shipboard credit but for what excursions? It seems to me that there are not many offered on this itinerary. Our Virtuoso Agent tells me that the excursion was cancelled because they could not find a tour operator to offer it. My hunch is that it has something to do with the recent crash of a charter flight out of Manaus Brazil but I could be wrong. She also suggested that I call SeaDream myself to talk with them. Perhaps we should all call/email this person:

Susanne Bernroth [mailto:sbernroth@seadream.com].

I personally will phone her tomorrow to register our displeasure with this development. We have previously cruised with Windstar, Silversea and Regent and we were strongly encouraged to try SeaDream by our agent. This is very disappointing!!!!

Yogagal47: I'm with you on the disappointment regarding the change and the kind of reimbursement being offered. We too, have done numerous cruises on Regent, Silverseas and Seabourn and just returned from the Barcelona to Tenerife trip on the SeaDream. We were really taken by the great service, the wonderful staff, and the small size of the ship. As you know, we had an engine fire and interuption with the itinerary. I hate to thiink that it was having the owner on the ship that made me feel that this was a company that really had its cruisers' interests at heart. Can it be the front office that is making these decisions "sans owner"???? Maxine

I tend to agree with ctrjr1309. It may be offered as a a separate excursion that is worth the $400 credit. IT IS a very long day, and some make not want to make the journey. On the other hand, it is so far in advance, it would make more sense just to lower the fare, with a full explanation to those laready booked. There's nothing worse than when board like this plays the guesing game. I'm afraid the customer relations people goofed on this one.

I had a nice chat with Susanne yesterday. One problem was that some travelers were not going to take the excursion and wanted compensation. She did say that she watches this board and is passing on the comments/concerns to the owners for review. Julie in Denver...

I have neglected to mention the following: One of the great things about the way SeaDream handled the engine fire problem was their immediate candid, honest, and open informing of the passengers. The flow of information continued throughout the emergency. That, I think, is the real problem with this change. Should SeaDream choose to be honest about their REAL reason for changing the itinerary and trip to Iguazu Falls, we might all be disappointed but far more understanding of the problem. Maxine

Archived