1 qt. milk

10 whole eggs

8 oz. sugar

1 oz. vanilla

4 oz. butter

1 tsp. cinnamon

4 oz. raisins

White loaf bread

Trim crust from bread, cut into squares.

Mix sugar and eggs

Add the milk, vanilla, and cinnamon

Put the bread into a baking dish, sprinkle w/ raisins

Pour the milk mixture over the bread

Soak for a few minutes

Add some butter pieces

Cover w/ aluminum foil

Bake in a warm water bath for about 30 minutes

Uncover and bake until pudding is 180 degrees and top

is golden brown

Once baked, sprinkle w/ some sugar and cinnamon mixture

Serve warm with hot vanilla sauce

VANILLA SAUCE

1 pint milk

1 pint heavy cream

1 Vanilla bean

4 oz. sugar

9 oz. of egg yolks

4 oz. sugar

Heat milk, heavy cream, vanilla bean, and half the sugar

until it boils

Remove the vanilla bean

Combine egg yolks and the rest of the sugar, temper w/

part of the boiling milk while stirring constantly, then

pour this into the remaining milk and return to heat

Stirring constantly, heat slowly till thick (180 degrees)

Remove from stove and strain

Yield: 3 pints

Sue's mom....It was very very cruel of you to post that link...my tounge is hanging out and I'm drooling....It is going up to 90f tomorrow, so I'm not turning the oven on.

dexter...I hope 'slap your granny' is a good thing!

Take care,

Pat......Can any of the UK people tell me why some people eat beans for breakfast?

Last month on the Maasdam you would have thought the bread pudding was the holy grail of the luncheon buffet. They had it sitting on it's own cart that looked like a showcase with lights shinning down it. Since it was sort of by itself on only one side and not labeled many missed it. I would see many go by and look at it like what the heck is this and walk away dumbfounded. That's fine there was more for me. Warm sauce is best but when you could get the bread pudding warm smothered in near hot sauce you were in heaven for a brief moment while at sea. The bread pudding is what makes those extra pounds you gain that week worth it.

Had an English grandfather but the bread pudding came from my southern grandmother. Grew up having it quite often and always, always at Christmas dinner. We use lots of cream, butter, bread, vanilla and nutmeg..raisins if wanted. Then over the top is served a warm, rum sauce. We use lots of rum and put nutmeg in it also. It is just wonderful, even better the next day.

The idea of rum raisin ice cream on it is great...as it seems a little bland on board since we are used to the rum. In fact, I was thinking of taking one of those little rum bottles from the refrigerator in the room up to lunch one day to add my own. We are on the Dec. 5th "O" sailing.

Pat - Baked beans (in tomato sauce) are almost part of the British staple diet and sometime part of a cooked breakfast, i.e. bacon, eggs, sausages, black pudding, mushrooms, tomatoes, and baked beans. I assume that Heinz have baked beans in the US also?

Sometimes also, a snack or small midday meal can be baked beans on buttered toast - good with a soft-boiled (shelled) egg on top.

Beans are also eaten (but not by us) with fish and chips (french fries), burgers, etc. etc.

Sorry about the "drooling"!

Jan

Sue's Mom...Thank-you for the reply, but what I wanted to know is why do you have them for BREAKFAST? Also - Thank-you for the link to the bread pudding, there is one with haddock that sounds interesting.

Take care,

Pat. could somebody hand me a napkin?

Baked beans for breakfast - well I suppose it's one of those "regional" things. Without wishing to offend anyone, I can't imagine eating sweet things with bacon and egg for breakfast, as I have seen on tourists plates in Ponderosa in Florida.

PS. I can't imagine eating haddock and bread pudding!!!

Jan,

Thanks for wording your answer the way you did. I understand 'regional things'.

We have a 'family thing' where we have the leftover cabbage fried for breakfast the next morning. What can I say, it's a family thing.

Take care,

Pat.

• 5 months later...
HAL'S BREAD AND BUTTER PUDDING

1 qt. milk

10 whole eggs

8 oz. sugar

1 oz. vanilla

4 oz. butter

1 tsp. cinnamon

4 oz. raisins

White loaf bread

Trim crust from bread, cut into squares.

Mix sugar and eggs

Add the milk, vanilla, and cinnamon

Put the bread into a baking dish, sprinkle w/ raisins

Pour the milk mixture over the bread

Soak for a few minutes

Add some butter pieces

Cover w/ aluminum foil

Bake in a warm water bath for about 30 minutes

Uncover and bake until pudding is 180 degrees and top

is golden brown

Once baked, sprinkle w/ some sugar and cinnamon mixture

Serve warm with hot vanilla sauce

VANILLA SAUCE

1 pint milk

1 pint heavy cream

1 Vanilla bean

4 oz. sugar

9 oz. of egg yolks

4 oz. sugar

Heat milk, heavy cream, vanilla bean, and half the sugar

until it boils

Remove the vanilla bean

Combine egg yolks and the rest of the sugar, temper w/

part of the boiling milk while stirring constantly, then

pour this into the remaining milk and return to heat

Stirring constantly, heat slowly till thick (180 degrees)

Remove from stove and strain

Yield: 3 pints

A dear and good friend who loves HALs Bread Pudding is coming for dinner this week and I thought it would please her if I made it. I did a search and have found this thread. I am a OK cook and can follow directions, but Peache's receipe confuses me. I cannot do ozs.

I would like to make it using cups and spoon fulls. I only want to make a small one to serve 4 people. If any is leftover, she can take it home. Can anyone help me?

Thanks Ken

A dear and good friend who loves HALs Bread Pudding is coming for dinner this week and I thought it would please her if I made it. I did a search and have found this thread. I am a OK cook and can follow directions, but Peache's receipe confuses me. I cannot do ozs.

I would like to make it using cups and spoon fulls. I only want to make a small one to serve 4 people. If any is leftover, she can take it home. Can anyone help me?

Thanks Ken

There are 8 oz. in a cup, so HAL's recipe is easy to translate from oz. to cups. 4 oz. = 1/2 cup and 4oz. also = 1 stick butter. I'd probably cut the recipe in half if I were you.

My DH Loves, Loves, Loves Bread Pudding :) , and I found myself really enjoying it too. However we had it on the Legend of the Seas on RCCI. We will be on the Oosterdam in Oct/Nov of 05 and it sounds like it is to die for there too. Has anyone had it on both Cruise lines that can offer a comparison for us? It would be even great if it is even better on the "O", but would sure be disappointed if it is not as good as RCCI's. Also love Haagen Daus Rum Raisin. Do they have rum raisin as one of the ice cream choices on HAL? Damn I hate to be starting my diet tomorrow! Maybe a can make some BP (tiny amount) for our "last eat anything you want meal" :D

There are 8 oz. in a cup, so HAL's recipe is easy to translate from oz. to cups. 4 oz. = 1/2 cup and 4oz. also = 1 stick butter. I'd probably cut the recipe in half if I were you.

Thanks I found an equivalent chart in the back of a cook book that agrees with you. I will cut the recipe in half and use less sugar. Not too sure about the sauce, it is very heavy duty.

Thanks I found an equivalent chart in the back of a cook book that agrees with you. I will cut the recipe in half and use less sugar. Not too sure about the sauce, it is very heavy duty.

I would think twice before changing the proportions of one ingredient to another. It will change the taste. If you are cutting the recipe in half, then cut each ingredient in half only. If you reduce one of the ingredients, i.e. sugar, more than you reduce the others you are changing the taste of the entire recipe.

If you are concerned about sugar, then I would substitute Splenda for some or all of the sugar. I'm sure it tells you on the box how to substitute how much Splenda for how much sugar. Substituting Splenda won't change the taste of the bread pudding like it will if you just put in less than 1/2 of the sugar.

Not sure what you mean about the sauce being 'very heavy duty'. The sauce is great and makes the bread pudding as good as it is. And you do want to be sure it thickens and is not too thin.

I LOVE bread pudding, but I think HAL needs to kick it up a knotch.

We returned from sailing the Zaandam on 12/18 and, of course, had to try the bread pudding. It was OK, but didn't dazzle me. It sits way too long in the warmer and dries out the bread.

They need to add some whiskey or rum to the vanilla sauce so that its . . . . well, . . . sauced!!!

Right?

They need to add some whiskey or rum to the vanilla sauce so that its . . . . well, . . . sauced!!!

Right?

Not unless there were 2 vanilla sauces, clearly marked alcoholic and non-alcoholic. Many pax do not care to have any alcohol, for taste and content reasons.

Maybe an easier solution is for those who think the sauce needs to be 'enhanced' to go to the ice cream bar and add one of the liqueurs to their vanilla sauce. HAL has a nice selection of liqueurs which many of us use to kick the ice cream up a notch. :D

We returned from sailing the Zaandam on 12/18 and, of course, had to try the bread pudding. It was OK, but didn't dazzle me. It sits way too long in the warmer and dries out the bread.

Right?

Melianne, noticed you were on the Rhapsody. Did you try the Bread Pudding? I had mentioned in an earlier post that I really liked the BP on the Legend of the Seas and had asked if anyone who has been on both RCCL and HAL and tried both, could tell me which one is the best. But it got ignored. :) or no one has tried them both.

I would think twice before changing the proportions of one ingredient to another. It will change the taste. If you are cutting the recipe in half, then cut each ingredient in half only. If you reduce one of the ingredients, i.e. sugar, more than you reduce the others you are changing the taste of the entire recipe.

Thank you Peaches for your good advice. My dinner party was last night, the guest of honor was very pleased with the pudding. I cut the receipe in half and did on stint on the sugar. However, I did sprinkle the bread with cocoa, instant coffee and cinnamon. That seemed to make it a little less sweet.

For those interested, the receipe given by Peaches if cut it half serves 4 people very generously. Of course, 5 eggs cannot be cut in half, I used 3 and the pudding came out very puffy.

Archived