Freestyle? Was it good for you? NCL Sun

ajbumpers

Latest Stats I could find on ships of similar sizes.

Celebrity: 1 crew per 2.01 passengers

NCL 1 per 2.57

Princess 1 per 2.56

Carnival 1 per 2.50

RCCL 1 per 2.48

Utterly similar

If you would read with more care, you'd have seen that I wrote about the staffing required for dining, not for the entire ship. Your statistics above are not relevant. And please don't tell us you are more "informed" about this subject than the Jewel's hotel director.

Your comment about poorer service because of the so-called "automatic tipping" is also nonsense, in my opinion. Service on NCL is as good as, more friendly than, and with less of the annoying bowing, scraping, fawning and pretentiousness that characterize Celebrity, where the crew has to grovel for tips, and HAL, those supposedly "premium" cruise lines.

If you would read with more care, you'd have seen that I wrote about the staffing required for dining, not for the entire ship. Your statistics above are not relevant. And please don't tell us you are more "informed" about this subject than the Jewel's hotel director.

Your comment about poorer service because of the so-called "automatic tipping" is also nonsense, in my opinion. Service on NCL is as good as, more friendly than, and with less of the annoying bowing, scraping, fawning and pretentiousness that characterize Celebrity, where the crew has to grovel for tips, and HAL, those supposedly "premium" cruise lines.

Zoiks! Me thinks I've hit a nerve. Sorry I thought the Jewel was freestyle from the gate. Didn't know they had taken 100 people from somewhere and transferred them to dining in order to go freestyle. Or are you saying they staff other areas less in order to facilitate freestyle? Scuse my ignorance.

aj, I do not agree with your statement regarding NCL being an inferior product. I was on the Jewel last Christmas, with my extended family. We had a very good time. There were 21 of us onboard, and I believe that you were with a large group also. Due to the size of our group we were only able to make reservations at a specialty restaurant one evening. I believe that Freestyle may work better with smaller parties. I am glad that NCL offers Freestyle dinning, I like having options. Freestyle does not work for me and my family at this time, but it may be something that would work for me in the future. However, I was dissappointed with the quality of the lunch and dinners served in the main dinning rooms.

This is an utterly uninformed posting. It takes about 100 to 110 additional crew to permit freestyle dining rather than the traditional, inflexible alternative where you eat where you're told.

Hotspur

Where did you get this from???

From everything I have read and heard their was no increase or decrease in the dining room staff due to FreeStyle.

I think it stands to reason that when a waiter knows he will be getting the full tip regardless of his service he has no incentive to give good service. This would aply to any service job where tips are expected.

You cannot compare Celebrity with NCL Celebrity is a premium market ship while NCL is mass market. It might interest you to know that according to readers of Conte Naste Celebrity was rated number 1 in food and service and number 1 in seven of the ten categories

But like i said you cannot conmpare the two cruise lines

It might interest you to know that according to readers of Conte Naste Celebrity was rated number 1 in food and service and number 1 in seven of the ten categories

All that does is lower my opinion of Conde Naste readers! ;) (as a group not individually that is)

-Monte

My fiance and I will sail NCLA for our honeymoon for the reason being that it IS freestyle cruising. We were willing to spend whatever necessary to have a wonderful trip and we still turned to NCLA - reason being the freestyle, the same reason we have chosen NCL time and time again! I don't think in any way is anyone cutting corners by having freestyle dining. I wish more ships did this! Looking forward to eating when, where, and in what we want to wear on our upcoming cruise!

You cannot compare Celebrity with NCL Celebrity is a premium market ship while NCL is mass market. It might interest you to know that according to readers of Conte Naste Celebrity was rated number 1 in food and service and number 1 in seven of the ten categories

But like i said you cannot conmpare the two cruise lines

I'll agree. The one comparison that really matters to me is fare price.

Let's compare a Celebrity fare with NCL fares on ships sailing the same itinerary from the same port. Here's just one example:

14 - 12 day Baltic cruises from Dover in May 2007.

Constellation

One of Celebrity's newest and largest ships.

Inside $2229

Oceanview $2619

Balcony $3949

Suite $5449

Dream

Yes, I know it's a much older and smaller ship

Inside $1779

Oceanview $1799

Balcony $2799

Suite $3499

Never-the-less, the Dream's fares are significantly lower. A couple booking an Inside cabin on a Baltic cruise on the Dream is spending $1,000 less on fares. I don't think passengers aboard the Constellation are getting, for at least $500 more each, that much better food. With that $1,000 savings on the Dream, a couple could eat at LeBristo every night ($40 for 12 night) and still save over $500.

If fare price is everything then you should be looking at Carnival. Not worth it to me but it is cheaper

Really? I'm sailing on the Dream this weekend, fares for an Oceanview were approximately $329, Carnival Conquest fares were $799 for an Oceanview on the same week. Both were 7 day cruises.

Therefore, I assume it's safe to state that Carnival doesn't always have the cheapest fares.

I love the freestyle it's been a few years but after going on 2 very disapponting Royal Carribean cruises I think I may be back w/NCL for good. Price yes, its much better and I don't think theres much difference. Also what's worse than going on a cruise and getting seated with people you can't stand? It might have been the smaller size ship but we meet so many great people on the NCL cruise.

As for carnival being the cheapest I don't know......I got my 5 day cruise on 1/23/07 for about the same as Carnival.

I love the freestyle it's been a few years but after going on 2 very disapponting Royal Carribean cruises I think I may be back w/NCL for good. Price yes, its much better and I don't think theres much difference. Also what's worse than going on a cruise and getting seated with people you can't stand? It might have been the smaller size ship but we meet so many great people on the NCL cruise.

As for carnival being the cheapest I don't know......I got my 5 day cruise on 1/23/07 for about the same as Carnival.

I am going on my 2nd NCL cruise as a gift from my mother, othewise I would not be doing it.

I agree that Freestyle is inferior. I had the worst service EVER on the Dawn a few years ago.

I agree that it is an excuse to make more money with the a la carte restaurants and the additional fee restaurants. And the food isn't great IMO.

Overall I think Norwegian charges too much for a mediocre (sp?) product.

Inferior? I don't think so. Royal Carribean has gotten fat & greddy too. NCL isn't the only one that has specialty restaurants for an additional charge. And doesn't really depend on what you want??? If I had children I would probably love royal carribean. Every line has something for everyone. For me & my husband who are middle class in our late 20's early 30's I think NCL is a great buy for the money. Our crusie started at $250pp for 5 day out of New Orleans. I don't think that is too much to pay!!

• 2 months later...
What NCL ship were you on? We are going on the Dream this summer. I hope that we aren't met with any of the same issues as you.

You won't I'm sure you'll have a great time freestyle is the future for all cruise lines eventually no matter what they call it some people are just impossible to please. enjoy:rolleyes:

NCL sun was the best ship we were ever on. They would not let hubby into dining room without a tie, but other than that, best ship yet.:D

That must have been a while ago! (tie thing). We have been on 2 cruises on the Sun and my husband certainly never wore a tie and neither did the majority of the other men. Glad you liked the ship - it is one of my favorites!

Archived