Freestyle? Was it good for you? NCL Sun

ajbumpers

I have cruised NCL 7 times dating back to 12/86. My most recent, last month, will be my last. Freestyle cruising is an inferior product. It takes the face and personality off the ship. It allows the staff to cut corners and be impersonal. In short it is a ruse to charge more and staff less to increase profit, and make you believe you're getting more by being free to choose. I have never been on a cruise (13 to date) where you couldn't eat or dress the way you wanted. Freestyle cruising is neither free nor stylish. Don't get me wrong, I am not angry. I just don't want this to be the trend in mainstream cruising.

We cruised with 9 couples and all had a memorable and enjoyable time. You can dwell on the bad or determine to not sweat the small stuff and just have yourself a ball. We did! but its RCCL or Celebrity from now on.

Hot tips on the Sun.

Made to order pizza in the sports bar.

appetizers in Las Ramblas

ChiChi and Patrick (wait staff in 7 Seas)

"Go with Gus" in Guatemala

Zipline tour in Belize

and i live in dread of NOT having freestyle on every cruise/vacation.
I agree, Toyz711. We've tried other lines and haven't seen any one of them that I'd trade for NCL's product. We have found the NCL staff to be superior to what we've found on RCL, especially in the dining rooms. We have never felt the service to be too hurried or too slow, and we have always had the staff take time to talk to us (at length), unlike RCI where they were way too busy to do so.

We are already planning our 2008 cruise--naturally, it will be on NCL.

I'm a bit confused over some of the comments you made. Did you feel that you couldn't wear what you wanted on your cruise? We were on the Dawn and with the one exception of no jeans in the main dining rooms for dinner, we saw everything from formal to resort casual. Style can be subjective...I work in Manhattan and see all sorts of styles everyday - some I like and others are simply not for me.

Free style to me means I can go eat when I want to eat and that I can forego getting dressed up for dinner...resort casual is perfect for us. I never expected "free" items. On the Carnival Legend they had one specialty restaurant, and you could eat in the main dining room early or late seating only. That I didn't like...I hate having to be at the dining room at a specific time (unless I chose to as we do when reserving in the specialty restaurants). And having several specialty restaurants was just fine with us - the surcharge was minimal (and less than that charged on the Legend).

Regarding the ship's face and personality - the staff on our cruise was wonderful. I felt like a special guest in their home. And I include everyone - housekeeping, wait staff, maintenance, officers - everyone!

But I also understand that what I might like, you might not. At least now you know what you don't want in a cruise and can take your cruise dollars elsewhere.

I would like to hear, however, some specifics if you care to share them.

Ciao,

W A W W

I have cruised NCL 7 times dating back to 12/86. My most recent, last month, will be my last. Freestyle cruising is an inferior product. It takes the face and personality off the ship. It allows the staff to cut corners and be impersonal. In short it is a ruse to charge more and staff less to increase profit, and make you believe you're getting more by being free to choose. I have never been on a cruise (13 to date) where you couldn't eat or dress the way you wanted. Freestyle cruising is neither free nor stylish. Don't get me wrong, I am not angry. I just don't want this to be the trend in mainstream cruising.

We cruised with 9 couples and all had a memorable and enjoyable time. You can dwell on the bad or determine to not sweat the small stuff and just have yourself a ball. We did! but its RCCL or Celebrity from now on.

Hot tips on the Sun.

Made to order pizza in the sports bar.

appetizers in Las Ramblas

ChiChi and Patrick (wait staff in 7 Seas)

"Go with Gus" in Guatemala

Zipline tour in Belize

To each his own and I am glad that you enjoyed yourself anyway even if NCL is not for you.

Not everyone likes Freestyle but I personally I love it (and I was on 3 "traditional" cruises before I tried NCL.)

I don't like eating at the same time every night and I don't like dressing up and I don't like dining with strangers. And I have found the NCL staff to be the most genuinely helpful and friendly cruiseship staff I have encountered.

It's too bad you were not a little more specific about what you did not like (I think that actually helps others to determine if Freestyle cruising is for them.)

BTW - great, useful tips!

You can dwell on the bad or determine to not sweat the small stuff and just have yourself a ball.

Well, I can agree with this part of your post. I'm sure you were stating how you feel (and that's OK), but I have a different perspective. Doesn't make either of us right or wrong, just different

enjoy your future cruises

-Monte

I agree with you

FreeStyle eating whenever you want did not work well for my cruise

When you have 200 passengers going to eat at the same time (or near the same) and the dining room only hold 100 their is a wait. That means that although you want to eat at 7pm you may not get into the dining room until 8pm or later. This is far from anytime eating.

It was suggested that we make a reservation, well if I have to make a reservation at the begining of the week (as suggested by crew) then its NOT freeStyle anymore I am eating at my fixed time ever nihjt.

The other suggestion is to go to one of the specialty restuarant which is a extra cost item as you said another profit center for NCL.

Princess tried to follow suit with a good modification, they have three restuarants, one fixed eating and two anytime Funny how the fixed dining had a BIG waiting list and matre'd has complaints from passengers in the anytime restuarants

I've cruised on several different cruise lines and have found I like certain elements of each one. The 10 day cruise on the Sun over the New Year holiday this year was up there with the best. The only disappointment was having to drive to Houston because I lilve in the New Orleans area.

There are pros and cons to each cruise line and I find it interesting to "sample" the differences.

Freestyle cruising is an inferior product. It takes the face and personality off the ship. It allows the staff to cut corners and be impersonal. In short it is a ruse to charge more and staff less to increase profit, and make you believe you're getting more by being free to choose.

This is an utterly uninformed posting. It takes about 100 to 110 additional crew to permit freestyle dining rather than the traditional, inflexible alternative where you eat where you're told.

i saw staff EVERYWHERE, faces and smiles greeted me at every corner.

crew standing at the stanitizers..greeting, smiling. the buffet..everywhere, people cleaning tables, putting out new stuff..always smiling, always asking about MY cruise. even the workers polishing the railings..always looked up and smiled. officers of the ship, in the elevator, asking if they could do anything for me, was my cruise to me expectations. i don't think i could have hid from them if i tried...they were EVERYWHERE.

compare freestyle with traditional cruising..same numbers of rooms to cleaning, same or more tables to serve..crew needed to work the ship would be the same.

i really love the fact that i didn't have to wait until dinner time, a run to blue lagoon for a drink and snack was perfect. on days i didn't want a full course meal....guess what, i didn't have to sit down with a table full of strangers and eat a full course meal.

you see what you want to see, i look for smiling faces and found a ship full:)

Freestyle cruising is an inferior product. It takes the face and personality off the ship. .
I'm not sure why Freestyle makes it an inferior product. I have found the staff to be very personable and there never seems to be a shortage of them (except on the NCL-A ships)

It allows the staff to cut corners and be impersonal. In short it is a ruse to charge more and staff less to increase profit, and make you believe you're getting more by being free to choose..

Let's see, I can choose when I want to eat, where I want to eat, with who I want to eat and dress how I want to eat, yeah I can see where I am getting less....not! Since they have to staff up to 10 restaurants and almost as many bars every night, I'm not sure where the cutting corners part comes in.

I have never been on a cruise (13 to date) where you couldn't eat or dress the way you wanted.
Ok, this is from left field....On the other lines like RCCL, Princess, Celebrity, Carnival, you HAVE to dress the way you are told. On NCL you do not have to dress up any more than resort casual on any night. I have never worn more than a polo shirt and sneakers to ANY dinner on any NCL cruise I have been on. As far as eating the way you want, what other line offers as many choices for restaurants???

Would you please explain you comments about not being able to dress the way you want....that comment is completly opposite of Freestyle. Unless you mean other people do not have to dress the way YOU want them to. (dressed up)

Freestyle cruising is neither free nor stylish.

Who cares about being stylish? Its a vacation for crying out loud! Vacation is about enjoying oneself and doing what you want to do. It is not about doing what everyone else wants you to do or wants you to dress!

I just don't want this to be the trend in mainstream cruising.
Sorry, I hope this does become the trend in cruising. You won't see me on the other lines until they get rid of those snobby people dress codes.

but its RCCL or Celebrity from now on.
Funny about you liking RCCL. My parents hated it for one of the reasons you dislike NCL. They thought the staff on RCCL (they have been on 3 RCCL cruises) was terrible and always looking for a handout (aka tip). If you didn't tip them, you got lousy service. That is not "free" to me. Wait, that is "stylish" though.

Okay, here goes. I will try not to nit pick. Remember I have only had 1 freestyle experience and 12 traditional cruises.

First nearly all cruises are resort casual dress, so this is not an issue. I do love to see my bride in heels and a cocktail dress though.

If you dine in the pay per view restaurants, room service or buffets you can eat any time, so this is only a partial issue. (The Sun's buffet was some of the worst slop I have seen on any ship, but the main dining room food was much better than RCCL)

I believe the built in tip policy diminishes service. I know you can opt to adjust your tip, but I'd wager 95% of people are like me, and tip extra for good service and wouldn't go throught the hassle of reducing a steward's tip.

The first day greeted by half gone cough drop stuck to the headboard of my bed.

Glass shards in the carpet.

finger prints on the mirrors.

unknown substance on bed spread.

I purposely left a gum wrapper sticking out of the drain grate under the bathroom, it never left me.

I never met my room steward so I took care of most of this myself.

Friends in other parts of the ship reported similar issues.

Dining rooms understaffed.

No somolier, no after dinner cocktails, little interaction with matre'd, and not much time to visit with wait staff. Miss having my drinks and water waiting for me and the busboy parade.

This is the first cruise I have ever had to look for a cocktail person on deck.

This is nitpicky, but weird. Ordered a glass of Jordan Chard. Finished 3/4 of it and the rest was too full of sediment to drink. Not uncommon, but no offer of replacement, he just threw it out. Well at $17.50 per glass, youl'd think.....

I got more, but that's enough for now. Andy

I'm not sure why Freestyle makes it an inferior product. I have found the staff to be very personable and there never seems to be a shortage of them (except on the NCL-A ships)

Let's see, I can choose when I want to eat, where I want to eat, with who I want to eat and dress how I want to eat, yeah I can see where I am getting less....not! Since they have to staff up to 10 restaurants and almost as many bars every night, I'm not sure where the cutting corners part comes in.

Ok, this is from left field....On the other lines like RCCL, Princess, Celebrity, Carnival, you HAVE to dress the way you are told. On NCL you do not have to dress up any more than resort casual on any night. I have never worn more than a polo shirt and sneakers to ANY dinner on any NCL cruise I have been on. As far as eating the way you want, what other line offers as many choices for restaurants???

Would you please explain you comments about not being able to dress the way you want....that comment is completly opposite of Freestyle. Unless you mean other people do not have to dress the way YOU want them to. (dressed up)

Who cares about being stylish? Its a vacation for crying out loud! Vacation is about enjoying oneself and doing what you want to do. It is not about doing what everyone else wants you to do or wants you to dress!

Sorry, I hope this does become the trend in cruising. You won't see me on the other lines until they get rid of those snobby people dress codes.

Funny about you liking RCCL. My parents hated it for one of the reasons you dislike NCL. They thought the staff on RCCL (they have been on 3 RCCL cruises) was terrible and always looking for a handout (aka tip). If you didn't tip them, you got lousy service. That is not "free" to me. Wait, that is "stylish" though.

Dude, It's called Cruise Critic. We're supposed to critique, not argue.

"somolier" there's an old world word. doubt that most people even remember those. i have been to 2 elegant steakhouses this last week, none had anything more then a wine list, served by the waiter.

last time we saw one was over 25 years ago when DH was a maitre 'd at a 5 star hyatt restaurants. on the stella solaris we were part of a large group that included some TAs...no official somolier, even with the european style service.

Okay, here goes. I will try not to nit pick. Remember I have only had 1 freestyle experience and 12 traditional cruises.

Not nit picky at all - it's good to know specifics

First nearly all cruises are resort casual dress, so this is not an issue.

Now this does confuse me - since the "traditional" cruises I have been on had mandatory dress codes - on formal night resort casual was NOT accepted in the dining rooms. Are you saying that RCCL and HAL and Carnival now accept resort casual wear on formal night?

If you dine in the pay per view restaurants, room service or buffets you can eat any time, so this is only a partial issue. (The Sun's buffet was some of the worst slop I have seen on any ship, but the main dining room food was much better than RCCL)

Glad to hear that you liked the dining room food. Not sure I understand your other point - were you not able to eat in the dining rooms when you wanted? We hae been on the Sun twice and ate most of our dinners in the dining room whenever we wanted (during opening hours of course). We just turned up when we wanted and were seated quite promptly (our longest wait to be seated was less than 10 minutes).

I believe the built in tip policy diminishes service. I know you can opt to adjust your tip, but I'd wager 95% of people are like me, and tip extra for good service and wouldn't go throught the hassle of reducing a steward's tip.

I disagree - but we have always had excellent service - especially from our stewards. The last one we had was so very good and could not do enough for us - we tipped him extra (on top of the service charge).

The first day greeted by half gone cough drop stuck to the headboard of my bed.

Glass shards in the carpet.

finger prints on the mirrors.

unknown substance on bed spread.

I purposely left a gum wrapper sticking out of the drain grate under the bathroom, it never left me.

I never met my room steward so I took care of most of this myself.

Friends in other parts of the ship reported similar issues.

Now I understand a bit where you are coming from - you really did not have a good steward. I hope you contacted the Housekeeping department to complain. As I said I have had excellent stewards on my 3 NCL cruises - NEVER any cleanliness issues and always ready to do any little thing I requested (and promptly! - our last steward was terribly apologetic the one time he could not bring me something I wanted immediately (an extra mattress pad - there were none left in our immediatelarea and he had to hunt one down)

Dining rooms understaffed.

No somolier, no after dinner cocktails, little interaction with matre'd, and not much time to visit with wait staff. Miss having my drinks and water waiting for me and the busboy parade.

This is probably one of the reasons why Freestyle is not for you. I prefer

dining room service that is like service at a "land restaurant". I am not interested in interacting with the maitre d' or the wait staff - I just want to spend time with my dining companions. And I actually did NOT like it when my drink was waiting for me on traditional cruises (I don't drink the same thing every night) And I hate parades in the dining room (I feel the wait staff is there to serve me food not provide entertainment).

This is the first cruise I have ever had to look for a cocktail person on deck.

Never had that experience but I don't drink a lot.

This is nitpicky, but weird. Ordered a glass of Jordan Chard. Finished 3/4 of it and the rest was too full of sediment to drink. Not uncommon, but no offer of replacement, he just threw it out. Well at $17.50 per glass, youl'd think.....

I don't think this is nitpicky at all - 1/4 glass of sediment - yuck - I think he should have offered you another glass or a bar bill reduction.

I think it was very good of you to respond to our queries for more detail.

Personally after reading your post I am of the opinion that your basic problems are two-fold

1. Some absolutely legitimate complaints - the cabin steward was clearly not doing his job well and I really hope for the sake of future NCL cruisers that you complained about him.

2. I just don't think you liked the non "traditional" dining room style - which is fine - Freestyle dining is clearly not for you.

I hope your next cruise is more satisfactory.

"somolier" there's an old world word. doubt that most people even remember those. i have been to 2 elegant steakhouses this last week, none had anything more then a wine list, served by the waiter.

last time we saw one was over 25 years ago when DH was a maitre 'd at a 5 star hyatt restaurants. on the stella solaris we were part of a large group that included some TAs...no official somolier, even with the european style service.

I'm not even sure if that's how you spell it. On Grandeur of the

Seas, the bar manager hosted wine tastings, and served as the "somolier" at dinner every night, complete with the silver tasting cup around his neck. For some pretentious, for me stylish. Andy

ajbumpers

Most of what you are compalining about has nothing to do with freeStyle. But with this said I add to your major complaint

On my last NCL cruise someone suggested I mark the sheet with a pen and see if they change the sheets.

I did that, marked a little X on the uderside of the sheet and guess what the sheets were not changed for 5 days. They may not have been changed from the previous week I cannot be sure, discussting when you think about it.

am i dating myself when i say i remember when they had the big key (to the wine room) around their neck? back in the really ole day, DH was so happy when he came home one day to say that they had given him the key.

i like an elegant dining room, i like dressing up to go out to a nice dinner..i do not like packing the stuff to go on a cruise. dinner at one of the casinos, last week, was excellent..the lobster bisque was perfect, the steak diane was to die for. wine served by our waiter.

i just think to say the whole "freestyle" system is wrong is wrong.

bad service is not to be tolerated on any cruise or service related industry. give bad service/get a complaint in your file. but that can happen on any cruise at any time.

i was on one of the last cruise of a very old ship, i have great memories on that trip..great service, wonderful room attendents..others complain how old the ship was.

on the stella solaris, 3 weeks after our cruise i heard people complaining about the ship. they had been on the cruise right before us. everything we loved they hated. they hated the staff, said they were rude..the same staff that ran down the hall to push the elevator's buttons for me.

sorry you didn't have the greatest experience, but could it have been that ship, at that time, with a few of that ship's crew and not the WHOLE freestyle thing on all of NCL?

Not nit picky at all - it's good to know specifics

Now this does confuse me - since the "traditional" cruises I have been on had mandatory dress codes - on formal night resort casual was NOT accepted in the dining rooms. Are you saying that RCCL and HAL and Carnival now accept resort casual wear on formal night?

Glad to hear that you liked the dining room food. Not sure I understand your other point - were you not able to eat in the dining rooms when you wanted? We hae been on the Sun twice and ate most of our dinners in the dining room whenever we wanted (during opening hours of course). We just turned up when we wanted and were seated quite promptly (our longest wait to be seated was less than 10 minutes).

I disagree - but we have always had excellent service - especially from our stewards. The last one we had was so very good and could not do enough for us - we tipped him extra (on top of the service charge).

Now I understand a bit where you are coming from - you really did not have a good steward. I hope you contacted the Housekeeping department to complain. As I said I have had excellent stewards on my 3 NCL cruises - NEVER any cleanliness issues and always ready to do any little thing I requested (and promptly! - our last steward was terribly apologetic the one time he could not bring me something I wanted immediately (an extra mattress pad - there were none left in our immediatelarea and he had to hunt one down)

This is probably one of the reasons why Freestyle is not for you. I prefer

dining room service that is like service at a "land restaurant". I am not interested in interacting with the maitre d' or the wait staff - I just want to spend time with my dining companions. And I actually did NOT like it when my drink was waiting for me on traditional cruises (I don't drink the same thing every night) And I hate parades in the dining room (I feel the wait staff is there to serve me food not provide entertainment).

Never had that experience but I don't drink a lot.

I don't think this is nitpicky at all - 1/4 glass of sediment - yuck - I think he should have offered you another glass or a bar bill reduction.

I think it was very good of you to respond to our queries for more detail.

Personally after reading your post I am of the opinion that your basic problems are two-fold

1. Some absolutely legitimate complaints - the cabin steward was clearly not doing his job well and I really hope for the sake of future NCL cruisers that you complained about him.

2. I just don't think you liked the non "traditional" dining room style - which is fine - Freestyle dining is clearly not for you.

I hope your next cruise is more satisfactory.

Thankyou, I can't imagine being on the ocean without feeling a huge sense of satisfaction. As I said before we stll had a grand time, because we are a pretty jolly crew. I struggled for 3 weeks about posting anything at all and sounding like an old curmudgeon. I mostly want people to understand that to me freestyle feels more like a resort experience than a cruise, and to me feels much more profit driven than my previous cruises. New cruisers, in particular should experience the difference.

am i dating myself when i say i remember when they had the big key (to the wine room) around their neck? back in the really ole day, DH was so happy when he came home one day to say that they had given him the key.

i like an elegant dining room, i like dressing up to go out to a nice dinner..i do not like packing the stuff to go on a cruise. dinner at one of the casinos, last week, was excellent..the lobster bisque was perfect, the steak diane was to die for. wine served by our waiter.

i just think to say the whole "freestyle" system is wrong is wrong.

bad service is not to be tolerated on any cruise or service related industry. give bad service/get a complaint in your file. but that can happen on any cruise at any time.

i was on one of the last cruise of a very old ship, i have great memories on that trip..great service, wonderful room attendents..others complain how old the ship was.

on the stella solaris, 3 weeks after our cruise i heard people complaining about the ship. they had been on the cruise right before us. everything we loved they hated. they hated the staff, said they were rude..the same staff that ran down the hall to push the elevator's buttons for me.

sorry you didn't have the greatest experience, but could it have been that ship, at that time, with a few of that ship's crew and not the WHOLE freestyle thing on all of NCL?

I have to admit I'm having fun with this now and spending way too much time on the board. I didn't say it was wrong, just inferior. Viva le difference. Your post brought back memories of our "Texarribean cruise on the NCL Seaward. Horrible ship, Wonderful cruise. Andy

i am watching a couple of my ebay auctions, watching the weather get cold..remembering my trips..any of them..is always a joy. the DH says it's me, i have waiters talk to me..even if they aren't at my table. it seems i "look" friendly. i would rather look "hot" but i will take what i can get.:eek:

too bad you weren't on our last cruise on the NCL star, it was great. room attendents were always around. alaska was great, but the ship was even better then i expected..and i always have high expectations.

beef wellington..outstanding

orange crepes ..divine

rack of lamb..perfect

all of this was in either of the main dining room. service was always paced well..time between each serving..never a long wait. never had a reason for the speciality dining, when we were in a hurry there was the buffet (family of 7 wanting to eat together at the last minute) otherwise we got all the elegant, personal service at the dining rooms.

room was kept spotless, amazing so considering the weather. i can vouch that it's not the fault of "freestyle" or NCL. they can do it right and for me, they did.

I have nothing to compare with as the first we sailed with was NCL and we stayed with them ever since. Admitted ; this year we tried to get on the transatlantic Princess but in the end we did the Jewel and loved it!!!.

But we wuold never go without some form of :freestyle: eatingarangemants

This is an utterly uninformed posting. It takes about 100 to 110 additional crew to permit freestyle dining rather than the traditional, inflexible alternative where you eat where you're told.

Latest Stats I could find on ships of similar sizes.

Celebrity: 1 crew per 2.01 passengers

NCL 1 per 2.57

Princess 1 per 2.56

Carnival 1 per 2.50

RCCL 1 per 2.48

Utterly similar

In short it is a ruse to charge more and staff less to increase profit, and make you believe you're getting more by being free to choose.

Interesting to me in post #1 (quoted) you say they staff less, and in post #23 you say they staff "utterly" the same.

-Monte

Interesting to me in post #1 (quoted) you say they staff less, and in post #23 you say they staff "utterly" the same.

-Monte

In post #1 I opined, was a "cruise critic" if you will. In post 23 I reported my findings in my effort to become less "utterly uninformed"Andy

Archived