Current security line wait at FLL?

Baseball Lover

FLL now has a policy that you can't go through security until two hours before your flight. This likely keeps the huge swell of cruise passengers from queuing up for the security lines and clogging the terminal for hours and hours before their flights. When we got back from Enchantment in May, we were at the terminal three hours before our flight. We were able to check in for our flight but then had to wait an hour to go through security. We read the paper, shopped a little and had a bte. Once we joined the security line two hours before our flight, we were through security in about ten minutes.

We flew to FLL three or four times this past summer, and had no long waits at all. It seems like it was maybe 15 minutes from the minute we entered the airport, until when we were sitting at our gate.

The last time we flew, I made the mistake of having a water globe in my carry on and it wasn't in the quart baggie. Everyone had to come over and look at it, but they me through (without having it in the baggie). Next time, I'll pack them in my checked luggage, but I just forgot that time. And even this little snag only added a minute or two to the check-in process.

A couple years ago I stood in line three hours at FLL. How does the Sunday morning wait seem to be these days? Does anyone know how many cruise ships return to Ft Lauderdale on Sunday?

Thanks for your help!

Molly

Three hours ??? :eek: :confused: Something else must have been going on. If it was, I would think they would have advised everyone. We were delayed for maybe twenty minutes in SF, but that was because they were have problems with the equipment.

You sure you are not exaggerating just a little here ? What time of the day was this ?? I have never seen a line take that long at any airport (national or international).

Usually we find the choke point to be the picture taking before boarding. ;)

You sure you are not exaggerating just a little here ? What time of the day was this ?? I have never seen a line take that long at any airport (national or international).

Usually we find the choke point to be the picture taking before boarding. ;)

I believe the OP is referring to the airport and not the cruise port.

I am returning on the Westerdam on a Sunday morning next year. Three are 3 other large ships in port also. They are the 3,000+/- passenger Caribbean Princess, Coral Princess (1,900 Passengers) and the Carnival Liberty. (3,000+/ passengers.)

If we take a taxi and get to the airport at 9:00AM, can we make an 11:00AM flight? I am flying first class.

The cruise ship calendar web site indicates that there will be "TEN" ships in Ft. Lauderdale on Jan 14. We will be driving back to our home in FL but have friends with us that will catch a 12:30 flight to ATL -- hope they can get off the ship in the first group!!

Our ship, the Amsterdam, does not board anyone on the 14th because they start the World Cruise on the 15th and are allowing extra cleaning. The ship will be full from our cruise so will still make the airport crowded with our disembarking passengers.

This past Sunday there were six ships in port. We got off the Volendam at about 9:55 AM and were in the airport by about 10:15. We went through secuirty about 5 minutes after getting to the airport. At that time, there was zero wait getting through secuirty. I didn't see any long line or hang ups the several times I walked by while waiting for our out bound flight. We were on Delta, so there may be a difference at other terminals. :)

I am returning on the Westerdam on a Sunday morning next year. Three are 3 other large ships in port also. They are the 3,000+/- passenger Caribbean Princess, Coral Princess (1,900 Passengers) and the Carnival Liberty. (3,000+/ passengers.)

If we take a taxi and get to the airport at 9:00AM, can we make an 11:00AM flight? I am flying first class.

Based on our experience, you will easily make this flight. First class pax wait in shorter lines for check in.

The worst time we've had a FLL was 3 years ago, we bought cruise air which will never happen again. We had the worst flight plans you can imagine. We were not leaving FLL until 6:00pm. This was on a Sat, not Sunday, but I'd imagine it was just as bad on Sun. HAL set up tables in the basement of the airport for the cruise passengers and they made us line up outside and they let you check your bags according to the time of your flight. It was 150 degrees outside. That was the absolute worst it has ever been. But, I would say 3 hours in FLL would probably be the norm. Once before, and I'm not sure exactly what year it was, we got to the airport around 9 for a 12:30 flight and finally, they let us check in so we could catch the plane. That was on a Sunday. I thought the problem that day was a lack of agents and not security. AA had two lines for all those people. It was a really bad scene. After we got checked in, the security line was not that bad.

Archived