Need help re: Princess shore excursion on "Pacific Panama Canal" cruise

Sandy R

I posted on the Panama Canal section but there are so many cruise lines that do the Panama Canal, I couldn't get my specific question answered...

We have settled on Island Princess' "Panama Canal Experience by Boat" but one couple of our party of 6 is hesitant to book the excursion because her DH has difficulty climbing stairs. I've done some research and unless I'm wrong, the "boat" refers to a ferry that holds about 100 passengers... am I right about that? Also, for those that have taken the "boat" how many steps are there to climb (or is a ramp used for embarkation) and is there an elevator onboard?

They are aware there is a tender and a tour bus involved in the excursion but seem confident they will be able to get help with those.

Thanks in advance for any input about the boat/ferry... Sandy

I was on that excursion and it holds about 200 passengers. If this is the excursion that goes from Gatun Lake to the pacific ocean, yes it is very easy to board the ferry. It was a ramp. The ferry has a bottom level and a top; I went up on the top but it was too darn hot; no covering so stayed on first level. You will be fine as long as you stay on the first level.

Marilyn

I am going on a Princess Panama Canal Cruise and heard about this excursion and am wondering why people would get off of the ship to do a tour when the ship itself goes through the canal. I think I'm missing something and not understanding why I should do a canal tour. Help!!!!

I am going on a Princess Panama Canal Cruise and heard about this excursion and am wondering why people would get off of the ship to do a tour when the ship itself goes through the canal. I think I'm missing something and not understanding why I should do a canal tour. Help!!!!

Because there are partial transits and full transits. The Coral is r/t out of Ft. Lauderdale and only goes through the Gatun Locks on the Atlantic side; then it stays on the Gatun lake and then comes back through the lock and then goes to stops in the Caribbean. The full transit there is no excursions available as onbviously you are going through the whole length of the canal. I have done both. The full transits on the Coral are repo cruises in end of April and Sept.

Marilyn

There are several other advantages to this excursion:

1. You take a lengthy bus ride and get to see a lot of Panama. If you do not take a ship's excursion, you must stay on board all day until you get to Cristobal, where there is only a short stop for shopping at the peir.

2. Going thru the Pacific locks in a smaller boat is a much different experience than going thru the ATlantic locks in a large ship. You can actually see and feel the operation of the locks in the smaller boat.

Thanks for the info. We are going on the Island Princess in FEb. 2008 from LA to Miami so I'm assuming that this is a full transit but will watch for the excursions now that I know that they will show you different things.

If your are doing the full transit (you are) then you will not need to 200 passenger ferry tour discussed above. You will be all day on the Island to transit all the locks. ;)

Thanks so much to all of you for the first-hand experience information. it really helped! We will be doing a partial canal transit (Los Angeles to Los Angeles 19 days) so I'm fairly certain the boat/ferry excursion will be offered for our cruise. We thought briefly about the train but I love photography so seeing the canal through a window, would be a major disappointment. I'm really looking forward to seeing the canal up close and personal! What did we ever do before cruisecritics!!!

Sandy

Archived