West Coast??

madhouseinc

There are many ships, almost every line that sails out of LA weekly, sometimes more often. NCL has the Star, an 8 day cruise and the ship is only 5 years old; RCI and Princess also have relatively newer ships that sail out of LA from Oct to last May. The difference is, most lines only have 1 or maybe 2 ships doing the Mexican Riv while they may have 4 or more doing the Caribbean. Does this help explain why you don't see as much mention of the pacific sailings. NMnita

Also, there are a limited number of ports available for the West Coast at least for the 3 to 8 night sailings that most people can take. Most of the Mexican Riviera cruises for example, go to many of the same ports while in the Caribbean you have multiple options for ports even within the smaller areas of say the Western Caribbean, Eastern Caribbean or Southern Caribbean.

Plus most cruiselines do not have ships sailing the Mexican Riviera during the summer, while the Caribbean is a year round cruise destination.

There are many ships, almost every line that sails out of LA weekly, sometimes more often. NCL has the Star, an 8 day cruise and the ship is only 5 years old; RCI and Princess also have relatively newer ships that sail out of LA from Oct to last May. The difference is, most lines only have 1 or maybe 2 ships doing the Mexican Riv while they may have 4 or more doing the Caribbean. Does this help explain why you don't see as much mention of the pacific sailings. NMnita

Also thinking that many of the people who sail on the fun ships are not that much into writing reviews - I know I never did on my first 5, it was more of a short break rather than an experience. BTW - thank you so much for all your posts - have learned a lot from them - esp attitude.

The West coast cruises seem to be limited to winter cruises to Mexico and summer cruises to Alaska out of the standard ports with only a handful of reposition cruises in the spring and fall. The Caribbean sailings tend to go all year round and thus there is much more activity on the east coast. Plus Cunard still does the regularly scheduled Transatlantic service but there is no similar regularly scheduled Transpacific service.

That being said though the west coast is a wonderful destination. I did a repositioning cruise in 2005 and enjoyed the trip very much.

For those who don't know it, the Mercury will sail April 20th from San Francisco round trip to Seattle, Vancouver, Victoria and I think Oregan. Then on the 27th they will do a repo out of SF to Canada. I beleive that one will be a wine country cruise as well. this info just came from our headquarters a couple of days ago.

Sounds good to me.

NMNita

For the past couple months I have been following the forums and have found very few mentioning west coast sailings in comparrison to the east - any idea why?

Number one.... it is not time for Alaska right now.

Number two... what is there to write about PV, Mazatlan, and Cabo. If you have seen one Mexican city, seen them all. ;)

Archived