Aurora Weekender report

libra-sue

Weekender Cruise on Aurora 2n to Zeebrugge for Bruges

16-18 Dec, 2006

When we arrived at Southampton at 12.30pm we were marshalled into the CPS car park, and we wheeled our own cases to the Mayflower Entrance, the porters then put them in the ship, no problems as it really isn’t that far to walk. As we were with our two friends and one was one on crutches due to a sports injury we were all waved into the priority desk line which only had 2 sets of cruisers in the queue – the main desk queue had a long snaking queue of over a hundred or so, so were very pleased to be onboard by 1.15pm!!

A good start, to a wonderful weekend! The weather was blue skies and sunshine with a December chill in the air, but we had a cocktail and lunch out on deck in the Pennant Bar. The sail away was in darkness, but still great fun, with a few steamers, the band playing Christmas Carols and champagne. We were on first sitting, not by choice, (we were 2nd sitting wait-listed), much too early for us, and I would only cruise now if I had 2nd sitting confirmed, but each to their own! The menu on the first night included Roast turkey and all the trimmings and ‘plum pudding and brandy sauce, so a Christmas dinner for me – as I will be cooking over Christmas, and its never the same when you have to cook it yourself! After our dinner we went to see a comedian Micky Zany in the Curzon Theatre, which seems much smaller than Arcadias 2-tier theatre, and the show was held in Carmen’s which was ‘Blues Brothers’ it was ‘OK’ , but because there were two performances and the 2nd was at 11.45pm, sadly our CC (Cruise Connections)meet failed, as there was no way we could chat with a show in progress. Met quite a few CC’ers and WLC’ers (Welovecruising.co.uk)throughout the cruise though, and it was lovely to see them. We finished our evening in the Crows Nest which was quite quiet and when I was asked for a liquor coffee was told it would take a while as they don’t usually serve it in the evening, which seemed strange to me, as it seemed the ideal time to have one??

The inside cabin was immaculate and quite roomy, but no bath, which was ok for a short cruise, but I would miss it if on a 2 week one. I was unprepared for just how dark the room is at night – obvious really with no window!! But at night you are in total darkness with no idea of the time, and I suppose the day you would have no idea of where you are unless you tune into the TV channel. Again not for me, next time an outside cabin minimum! Each to their own again, and if it means 2 cruises in a inside instead of one in a balcony then I can the see the argument for a inside.

The sea was quite calm there and back, force 4 or so, and we had no problems docking in Zeebrugge. We chose to go to Bruges on an afternoon coach trip (£22pp) but some took Taxis and others went by train. But I did hear some had problems with the Sunday.-Service trains, and found it a bit of a trial. The weather again was perfect – dry and sunny. The day before it had rained all day, and I believe QE2 was in?

Bruges was fabulous. All the shops were open; there were lots of chocolate shops and Christmas decoration shops. We had a lovely Belgian Waffle with Belgian Chocolate hot sauce and cream in a very nice café. Bought lots of pressies!

We attended the Gala Party in Carmen’s for pre-dinner drinks and canapés and were offered plenty of both, then we went to Café Bordeaux for a later table of 8.30pm, we found the food superb although surprised not to be offered side vegetables with our main course, I had lamb fillet on a small bed of risotto and there was just two finger sized carrots and potato decorating the dish? But everything we had was lovely.

All in all, am pleased to report that YES the ship was decorated for us, and she looked lovely, with plenty of Christmas trees with twinkling lights, and thick lush garlands in the atrium. We saw one small hen party – a group of 6 or 7 young ladies with pink fluffy antlers on their heads, no groups of boozed up chaps , it was all very dignified really, and I felt the ambiance was no different on those 2 days than on a longer cruise. There were a few well-behaved children onboard, and they were lovely and having great fun with their friends

No problems at all!

A good chance to see a ship that you have never been on, and have a fun Christmas break at the same time.

But I still prefer Arcadia!

Sue

We've never done a weekender as I have heard varied reports about them being a bit of a booze up for male/female hen parties. However, your one seems not to have been one.

Good report and nice to hear you enjoyed it.

Jimmy

Interesting report Sue. I love Aurora and pretty much hated Arcadia by comparison. Strangely I found that I could not have a coffee in the Arcadia Crow's Nest, liquor or otherwise, they didn't have the coffee machines to do it !! Same was true for quite a few other bars in Arcadia.

On Aurora it's different. You can get a coffee almost anywhere and you can certainly get the coffee of the day and cocktail of the day anywhere. On Arcadia I kept being told that I could only have those drinks in certain specific bars. Even Arcadia's own special Coffee Cafe wouldn't serve me a coffee of the day but instead wanted to flog me their own Cafe Special of the day. Very Odd. Felt like the bars and cafe's were all working ot their own agendas and not at all in communication with the ships newsletter and overall programme.

I've always been able to get coffees in the Aurora Crow's Nest and regularly look forward to a coffee of the day (esp if it's Amaretto and Baileys !) which I can get anywhere else on the ship too.

BTW. How was the sea in general on your trip ? More swell than normal or same as usual ?

Hi Sue,

I am sure you will agree that a two night cruise is far too short, you hardly get turned around and then you are back in Southampton. The short cruises we have been on have always been back to back with a long one and we kept the same table and waiters and perhaps that helped as we have had the same wonderful service one both of them.

Your experience of the cruise is like ours i.e. no rowdy behaviour and a great party atmosphere.

Although as you know we had a great time on Arcadia, Aurora is our favourite as it was our first ship in August 2001.

I am replying here because I a still having problems with my Internet.

I agree, much too short a time to make a decision really on a favourite ship, she was lovely and I would certainly cruise on her again, but out of the school holidays! The sea conditions were very good force 3/4, no problems atall. And as I said, no booze ups, as someone else said somewhere, the only fight they saw was two small children fighting over a ice cream!

A few photos can be viewed on this link:

http://uk.ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/welovecruising/photos/browse/ddcd?c=

COPY AND PASTE IN YOUR BROWSER,

Sue

- a great way to see another ship and have some christmas fun!

• 3 weeks later...

Sue,

thanks for your review, we are about to book this trip to celebrate my mum's 70th birthday next December. Although we've done several cruises we've never tried P&O so it will be something different for us.

I have one question I can think of at the moment (I'm sure I'll think of others later),is the second night of the cruise a formal night and if so how formal was formal (DH normally wears black tie, would that be too much)?

Thanks

Julie

• 3 weeks later...

My husband wore a tux, and about 60% of the men did, with the others in a suit. I suppose quite a few were newbies trying a cruise for the 1st time, and not wanting to invest in a tux until they knew if they liked it or not! Tell hubbie he won't be out of place in his tux, and to take it!

Sue

Archived