Fly/Cruise Hawaii

howsthis

No. Have pondered it a few times in fact. There are some great deals to Hawaii, patricularly the 10 night Norwegian Sun cruise. I saw that for $2300 including airfares the other week

You can pick up some great last minute deals for $1500 incl airfares plus tax.

NCL would be the pick for Hawaii cruises, with Pride of Hawaii, Pride of Aloha and Norwegian Sun.

Yes, I am thinking about a holiday in late 2008, need the time to save, but I have noticed they seem pretty good bargains. Just wondered if they are as good as they sound or are there hidden costs. Was hoping someone may have done this sort of holiday.

I get those 'cheap' fly/cruise bargains for my cruises. I have never had a problem. The only 'hidden' charges are taxes. They sometimes mean both air and port taxes, but sometimes just air taxes need to be added.

Also some of the packages include the tips, which can be around $120.

The starting price is usually gone (how convenient), but for our last trip it was only $60 difference between three categories of balconies.:eek:

Some also include one or two nights accomodation at a hotel due to flights. Sure they're not 5* Hotels, but they're decent.

Just make sure you read what is included and what isn't.

Good luck!!

You can't go wrong with Hawaii just make sure your quote and costings are sold and drive the hardest possible bargain and shop hard.

Hawaii is well worth a Fly Cruise Package. Both ships whilst not perfect offer outstanding value for money compared to some local offerings dollar for dollar flights excluded. Subscribe to Cruise Critics Newsletter to crash some really hot American prices and or shop hard locally for the very best deal. Shop Hard Save Big that’s my motto!!!

Jetstar as some reasonable fares, If flying from Sydney check out Hawaiian Airlines, ( I like these guys one of the better little Airlines flying they try hard with what they’ve got, sure there not Singapore or Cathay and some of the Hosties did get beaten with an ugly stick but the service is homely and they have the best in flight magazines ( Frommiers Budget Traveler and Showboats International ) If all else fails fly Qantas.

Cruising is probably the best way to do Hawaii all in one trip and see most of what worth seeing across all the islands. Both companies are fine tuning cruise intinarys from March onwards to include some additional scenic cruising and adjusting overnight port calls. If you think the Pacific Islands are the greatest gift to cruising since balconies, then Hawaii will really rock you.

Do allow a few days on Oahu though, Shop hard for your hotels as there are always good deals going, Why not splurge and go to the Halekulani! ( Its divine ). If staying at the Hyatt Regency get a Renovated Room.

Be sure to do a Round Island Tour ( Its a full day but you see everything you could possibly really want to see on the island, plenty of movie locations are pointed out ( 50 first dates etc ), North Shore Surfing Beaches ( Prey the waves are running ), Hawaiian Fish Farm and Cultural Centre, Dole Plantation, Japanese Temple and Mountain Top Lookout. Lots of tours stop at a Golf Club for Buffet Lunch ( Extra $20 or so ) There is one guy at the Golf Club they all use who looks like Higgins from Magnum PI, Don’t tell him he looks like that though, he had a sense of humor bypass at birth. Be sure to go to Pearl Harbour.

Hawaii offers quite good shopping, The Alamoana Mall is also worth a trip there are plenty of upscale shops and a couple of department stores. Nearby there is Nordstrom Rack Clearance Outlet, Cheap and Good Stuff. Hilo Hattie’s is good for a laugh but I though was expensive for most things. There is lots of Asian stuff on sale in Hawaii as well which is cool. There is also a Big Department Store downtown and tons of shops in the Aloha Mall near the Wharf. Walmart is also nearby if so desired.

Hawaii offers a rewarding vacation experience!!!

Happy Cruising

Novemberbravo1974

Thanks NB'74, Hawaii is the ultimate for my hubby. His one 'must see' place is the North Shore. He is a surf nut so would probably have to go Dec to Feb. Whatever else we do we would probably spend a few days there before we cruise. Thanks for the tips, I am making a folder for all the info I can get. Want to do it right as we will probably only go there once in this life. Unless we get a share of this Sat night big Lotto.

The best choice for cruising from Hawaii is as the others have said is NCL, the other major lines RCI, Princess, HAL etc etc all depart from the west coast of the States. That means further to fly and more days at sea getting to Hawaii. NCL offer great ships with lot's of facilities and there are quite a few cheap deals coming out at the moment for Hawaii.

I would love to do one of the Hawaii cruises but I'm not sure I would like a trip on the Pride of Aloha or Pride of America. 95% of passenger reviews I have read are just terrible and say they would never cruise on NCL again.

The reviewers did say is was certainly lovely cruising through and visiting the islands though.

I would love to do one of the Hawaii cruises but I'm not sure I would like a trip on the Pride of Aloha or Pride of America. 95% of passenger reviews I have read are just terrible and say they would never cruise on NCL again.

The reviewers did say is was certainly lovely cruising through and visiting the islands though.

Yeah, it is a shame that the coffee didn't taste right, or the favourite food wasn't on the menu or that someone wore jeans in the dining room!!:rolleyes:

Most Americans seem to have a favourite cruise line, whether it be Princess, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean etc, and just because it isn't what they're used to, they pick faults with everything.:(

As kate and chris said, there isn't much choice in the Hawaii market, except NCL.

Hi Hows this and Happy New Year to you all.

My DH and I had an excellent cruise on NCL Norwegian Star in 2002. We flew from Sydney to Hawaii and did a 7 night cruise around the Hawaiian Islands and the day after that cruise finished flew to Vancouver and boarded the NCL Norwegian Wind for a 7 night cruise in Alaska inside passage. Both cruises were excellent. The NCL ships were first class as was the service and the food. Would recommend NCL to anyone.

Also NCL recognised the previous 2 cruises we had done on the Norwegian Capricorn Line cruises we had done on the Norwegian Star that had been based in Australia in 1999 and 2000. This meant we could bypass the queue and go straight to the express check in counter. Plus they had other past passengers benefits.

Hope this is helpful to your decision on whether or not to go.

PS Thank you to all the "cruise critic family" who contribute their information, experiences and reviews.

Regards

Cruising Along :)

Archived