Cape Liberty parking for EOS

ariel865

Hello. Just curious how the parking is here? Considering driving in but if it is anything like the Manhatten pier I will pass. Heard that you drop luggage and passengers off and then park. Is it far? Thanks in advance for any help and Happy New Year to all!

As long as you bring a car cover for your car you should have no problem. It's nothing like the pier in Manhattan. Cape Liberty is a very well run operation compared with most other ports I've sailed out of. You can drop your luggage off and then park or vice versa. We've done it both ways depending on the amount of luggage we have. They also have courtesy busses in the parking lot so you won't need to walk to the terminal entrance.

It's no where as bad as Manhattan so you should be fine. You do drive in, there is an unloading area you will park in and you may have to wait for a space but there are staff from the port directing traffic for you, you park and unload, porters are waiting right there to take your luggage, and then staff help you back out again you just go park the car and walk back to terminal. It's not far to walk. Once in the terminal they have it down to a science and whisk you right thru and onto the bus that takes you to the ship. It took about 10 minutes from the time we entered the terminal until we were on the bus heading to the ship. It is a working port meaning that they do work on and repair ships there and the Intrepid is there now. It is very windy and occasionally if they are spray painting a ship, the overspray can be blown onto some cars. I have read of this happening to others but I've never read that it is permanent damage and will wash off and if you complain to the port they do reimburse you for a car wash. We left there on 10/29 in a coastal storm and the wind was howling. We had nothing on our car when we returned home and we did not bother to cover it as many had said their car covers had blown off by the time they had returned. Manhattan is a nightmare, Bayonne is doable! I think it's 15.00 per day to park, also cheaper than Manhattan. Enjoy your cruise! :) Ps. there are shuttle's to get you from parking lot to terminal but much faster to walk especially if you've already dropped off your lugguge. Just have your tip ready to hand porters when they take your bags. 2.00-3.00 a bag works well.

We sailed in October and arrived at the pier around 10am. The passengers were disembarking when we arrived at the terminal. I thought for sure it would be total mayhem..but I was pleasantly surprised. It was very organized and plenty of staff to help with the traffic flow.

Enjoy your cruise....watching the NYC skyline and the Statue of Liberty pass you by is breathtaking :)

I put a cover on my v ehicle but when I returned from my cruise it had blown off (still attached to the vehicle though). I have a radar detector in my vehicle and forgot to disconnect it while on the cruise. Voila!! Dead battery when I returned from the cruise. Had the hood up and a vehicle came along and wanted to know if I wanted to jump start the battery. Sure. It was a RCCL rep and he got my car started and would not take any money. Apparently he cruises the parking lot looking for folks who have car trouble. He was a welcome sight to me cause I had visions of big dollars from a local tow company. Another plus for RCCL.

I'm a bit confused...has this paint overspray problem finally been resolved? I know that I have been reading about this for at least a year now. You would think that this would have become a "non-issue" by now. I certainly don't want to park my car in a lot where there is even the slightest risk of finding paint on the car upon our return from our cruise. I remember reading about RCL having to give out vouchers for a body-shop in Staten Island to remove the paint. Hopefully the paint issue is no longer a problem.

Rick.

I'm a bit confused...has this paint overspray problem finally been resolved? I know that I have been reading about this for at least a year now. You would think that this would have become a "non-issue" by now. I certainly don't want to park my car in a lot where there is even the slightest risk of finding paint on the car upon our return from our cruise. I remember reading about RCL having to give out vouchers for a body-shop in Staten Island to remove the paint. Hopefully the paint issue is no longer a problem.

Rick.

Hi,

I would suggest doing a search(on this message board) on this as there were quite a few issues the spring-fall 2006 as well as spring/fall 2005.

We never park our car at this pier due to the issues. We fortunately are within driving range where taking round trip car service just about equals the fare to park on the lot for the entirety of the cruise. However, I have read of people that drove in and were able to park at a hotel reasonably or drove in and utilized a $20 car cover and that worked.

In my opinion, I don't know how the issue can be resolved. :( Car damage is due to overspray and wind effects. I don't think those variables can be controlled.

From reading this board it's a gamble as to who gets the overspray and when it is a problem. What I have read is the substance on the car is not so easily resolved. It does NOT wash off and compensation takes time and patience.

So if you really want to make an informed decision, I would do a search. People are continually posting the problem is solved and I am continually reading that it is NOT.

Other than this problem, embarkation and disembarkation have always been a smooth, easy process and one I would easily repeat!! :)

Archived