Which MIA car rental best for port?

ParrotRob

We're arriving in Miami 2 days before our cruise (Carnival Triumph). We'll be getting a rental car at the airport and driving down to the Keys for 2 days before coming back up to Miami for our cruise.

From what I can tell, it doesn't look like any of the car rental agencies have returns actually AT the port. Do any of them have return locations CLOSE to the port that might offer a shuttle to the port? If not a shuttle, are there any return locations that are closer or more convenient to the port than returning the car to the MIA airport?

Thanks in advance.

Avis has an office under 5 minutes from the port. ;)

AVIS Downtown Miami - M6I

99 Southeast 2nd Street,

(at Southeast 1st Avenue),

Miami, FL 33131

305-379-1317

Sun 08:00AM-04:00PM;

Mon-Fri 08:00AM-06:00PM;

Sat 08:00AM-04:00PM

//////

Avis has an office under 5 minutes from the port. ;)

AVIS Downtown Miami - M6I

99 Southeast 2nd Street,

(at Southeast 1st Avenue),

Miami, FL 33131

305-379-1317

Sun 08:00AM-04:00PM;

Mon-Fri 08:00AM-06:00PM;

Sat 08:00AM-04:00PM

//////

Bequia,

Thank you for the information. I have two follow on questions if you don't mind.

1) Do you know if they offer a shuttle to the port from there?

2) If not, is the convenience of returning that close to port overshadowed by the traditional hassle of returning a car at a "downtown" location (i.e. finding a place to park it, etc)?

Bequia,

Thank you for the information. I have two follow on questions if you don't mind.

Do you know if they offer a shuttle to the port from there?

They do not offer a shuttle. The 5 minute cab ride to the port is under $10.

If not, is the convenience of returning that close to port overshadowed by the traditional hassle of returning a car at a "downtown" location (i.e. finding a place to park it, etc)?

There is no "traditional" hassle so to speak at this downtown location. Your coming in on a weekend morning so traffic is at a minimum. The location itself is very accessible with good signage and plenty of parking.

The "free" shuttle shouldn't be the deal breaker after considering the amount of time you save being so close to the port, leaving when you want, not having to wait for a shuttle to load and unload at every terminal before you get to yours. Nothing worse then an overcrowded shuttle bus or having to wait for the next one if it fills up before you get on. The cab fare is money well spent. ;)

////

The "free" shuttle shouldn't be the deal breaker after considering the amount of time you save being so close to the port, leaving when you want, not having to wait for a shuttle to load and unload at every terminal before you get to yours. Nothing worse then an overcrowded shuttle bus or having to wait for the next one if it fills up before you get on. The cab fare is money well spent. ;)

////

"Free" wasn't the concern, really :cool: What I was more interested in was whether there was a "hop on" type of transportation (shuttle, whatever) from the return point to the port or whether I would have to actively plan/arrange the transfer (in the form of a cab) - in other words, not trying to find the cheapest way to get there, but the one with the simplest logistics.

In any event, thank you for the information. Happy new year.

Archived