12/30/2006 Majesty cancelled

cavou

New Year's cruise is obviously a very special event. It's never good timing when a vacation gets canceled, but even more terrible timing when it's for New Year's.

When my Celebrity Infinity 10-day cruise to Alaska was canceled this year w/ one full month notice before the cruise, Celebrity's compensation was full-refund plus a free cruise up to 14-days in length - yes, 14-days! - anywhere in N. America. I ended up going on an amazing 14-day Panama Canal cruise from LA to Ft. Lauderdale.

Compared to what Celebrity offers, NCL's comp seems very light. New Year's cruise and only a few days notice is a lot worse than my cruise canceled w/ one month of notice.

Heelfan,

Why did you suspect something was wrong with the Majesty?

We are sailing on her on the 13th.

Shay

Take my suspicions with a grain of salt, but it was two things. First was the constant working of maintenance crews across the hall from my cabin. I know, they constantly work during the whole week but they were working on something feverishly. The second thing was being late for ports. We were not even an hour late leaving from Cozumel, but three hours late getting to Key West. I don't believe the reasons given were always the complete truth. I'm not sure I blame anyone because passengers are less likely to be upset if the reason is that an NCL excursion was late getting back, and not mechanical problems.

Like I said, this was just a hunch that I had. I have no real proof. I hope they're working hard to get things fixed so the next sailings are perfect. :)

Take my suspicions with a grain of salt, but it was two things. First was the constant working of maintenance crews across the hall from my cabin. I know, they constantly work during the whole week but they were working on something feverishly. The second thing was being late for ports. We were not even an hour late leaving from Cozumel, but three hours late getting to Key West. I don't believe the reasons given were always the complete truth. I'm not sure I blame anyone because passengers are less likely to be upset if the reason is that an NCL excursion was late getting back, and not mechanical problems.

Like I said, this was just a hunch that I had. I have no real proof. I hope they're working hard to get things fixed so the next sailings are perfect. :)

sounds like a pretty good hunch to me. NMNita

As long as I'm putting my ideas out there, I believe the Majesty has more than one problem which could be why they had to cancel the whole 12/30 cruise. I know there were water problems. I mentioned in my review that the water system was completely shut down for four hours early Wednesday morning on my cruise. And I also believe there are ongoing engine problems that seem to have plagued the ship for a few weeks at least before the New Year's cruise was to take place. It's just my theory but I believe that a combination of problems finally forced NCL to really try and fix the problems. I think they had worked around them as long as they possibly could, with revised itineraries and later than normal arrivals. If I'm right, the good news would be that the issues could really be resolved this week and maybe things will be back to normal when she sails again. I really hope things work out for the next week. :)

As long as I'm putting my ideas out there, I believe the Majesty has more than one problem which could be why they had to cancel the whole 12/30 cruise. I know there were water problems. I mentioned in my review that the water system was completely shut down for four hours early Wednesday morning on my cruise. And I also believe there are ongoing engine problems that seem to have plagued the ship for a few weeks at least before the New Year's cruise was to take place. It's just my theory but I believe that a combination of problems finally forced NCL to really try and fix the problems. I think they had worked around them as long as they possibly could, with revised itineraries and later than normal arrivals. If I'm right, the good news would be that the issues could really be resolved this week and maybe things will be back to normal when she sails again. I really hope things work out for the next week. :)

i also think that there were more problems with the ship. i was on the Majesty 12/23. The cruise before us had mechanical problems, but they couldnt fix them because they had another group coming in the next week and didnt want to lose money. Now because of what happen to the ship on the 12/23 cruise they have to fix it. I enjoyed the Majesty very much and had alot of fun. The last night though was not a good way to end the trip. We came off the boat, tired and not relaxed. I feel sorry for the crew too because they had to sleep in the heat in their cabins. Some were feeling sick. Thank goodness it will be fix soon.

I was happy with the Majesty and its staff. The mechanical troubles were as inconvenient as they would have been at home, but did not ruin the trip for my family. My sons, wife and I slept in our warm, but not hot, deck 4 cabins, while our daughters slept in one of the public spaces, and made a good time of it. In general it was, for us, more of an adventure than a problem.

I'm so sorry about your last night being so uncomfortable. Was everything okay up until that point? I'm only asking to try and clarify when the Majesty started having problems. I had suspected something was wrong when I was on board the week before you.

The cruise was GREAT overall. We hit some nasty weather crossing the Gulf and coundn't call on Grand Cayman, but neither could the other ships in port like Enchantment of the Seas, Star Princess or Queen Mary 2 (7 ships scrubbed when we pulled away). Missing Grand Cayman isn't huge news on winter cruises - it happens not infrequently due to the tenders and it doesn't matter which ship you are on - if the tenders can't sail then nobody gets in to shore. NCL let the free rum punch flow as a consolation and I think most people made the best of it. Cozumel and Key West were great, and the ship crew and staff were super through all the mechanical problems that last day. I especially admired the performers who put on a great show in the Palace Theater under HOT lights, in full constumes with no AC ... and the cruise director Mike Witte thanked US for coming to the show and being good sports. Some people were grumpy with the heat and all, but I also saw lots who made the best of it - like a spontaneous fraternity slumber party with mattresses, pillows and blankets everywhere, playing games and plenty of good humor to go around. I might add, our family and friends were mostly among the latter group. :p

Janet LeBlanc

ALBE Travel

Janet,

I am glad to hear the cruise was great other than the last day. We are cruising out on the Majesty on the 13th. I am curious, were any of the pax on board during the break down offered any reimbursement or obc for your inconvenience or hardship?

If we have to miss a port, I'd rather it be Cozumel, but we cannot control the weather. I just want to make it to Key West. I have a necklace to buy!

Shay

Oh my gawd! A deceptive pattern that seems to occur every nine years :eek: . Thanks for the link. I now know better than to take a cruise with NCL about Christmas/New Years time in 2015 ;) . That's frequent enough that I'm sure it's a plot hatched in some NCL boardroom!

-Monte

I returned this afternoon after quite possibly the most uncomfortable night of my life. Yes this ship lost power on Friday afternoon and we were without a lot of things for about an hour. They blamed it on a generator problem. The lack of AC in the evening was just unbearable! We slept in our cabin on the 4th floor deck with the door open, as a lot of people. They opened the door to the crew rooms on our floor too, so they could get some air. Their rooms are right by the engine room! I felt sorry for them, lots slept on the floor.

There were people camped out in the disco, on the stairwells, as well as the pool deck. They also called out a Code Alpha - which I think means a heartache, last night.

They didn't offer us any credit due to this problem, but hey, at least we got back $14 after we couldn't stop in Grand Cayman due to the swells.

:confused:

We have also just returned from the Majesty Christmas cruise. We were up on deck 11 by the smokestacks on Friday morning when the problems started. We heard a loud bang, and thick black smoke came out of the stack for a few minutes. We lost power and heard that all power was out on the ship; people had to be pulled from elevators. We did sleep in our room on deck 4 aft with the doors propped open; it was hot but bearable. My dad was in a deck 4 midship cabin and said it wasn't too bad. My two sisters were on deck 3; one slept on deck 5 by the gameroom and the other slept in a lounge on deck 7.

We were in line for dinner in the Seven Seas when code alpha was called. A man had fainted and fallen down the stairs right by the restaurant. Some people had said that he had looked "very high" prior to this.

Sorry to all of you who had your cruise cancelled. We did have a great time despite uncomfortable conditions Friday night. The crew did the best they could, but some compensation seemed appropriate, other than free beverages

Notacruiseline,

I am trying to understand your post. I do understand you are mad, and I would be too. So you drove from Indiana, your children flew from NY and VA for a family vacation. You found out when you arrived that the cruise was canceled. Are you back home, or have you gone elsewhere?

I know that NCL allowed some pax onboard that first night. It sounds like you were not allowed on for room and food. Is that correct?

I read the review you referenced to. I do not understand the email address of the attorney, unless he is filing a class action law suit for this lost cruise.

Like I said, I am just trying to understand your post. We are to sail on the Majesty on the 13th, and I am gathering all of the info I can to be prepared. I believe the ship will surely be repaired by then.

Shay

You really don't expect this OPW to return and answer questions. There is absolutely nothing new in this thread. It seems to be a compilation of previously posted complaints. If this person did drive in from Indiana, that would make two families that dove in from Indiana. What do you think the odds are.

My guess is this person is somehow tied to said law firm and is trolling for clients. Or, as some wise man stated earlier, kids are on break from school now.

Please remember, this is all just my opinion.:cool:

PE

Well, I was wondering where in the world that post went. You took it, PE!
Sorry I had to remove the post you guys are talking about. Members can't use this board to solicit other members to join law suits. It's just not allowed on the board. :o You quoted that post so I had to remove that one too but thankfully PE quoted just you and your comments are fine. Does all that make sense? ;)

Sorry I had to remove the post you guys are talking about. Members can't use this board to solicit other members to join law suits. It's just not allowed on the board.

Thanks for explaining to everyone Cecilia. IT'S A GOOD RULE :)

BTW-hope you don't have any future probs getting to Vegas!

-Monte

BTW-hope you don't have any future probs getting to Vegas!
We rescheduled for 1/12 but we're expecting more snow later this week. :eek: Somehow we're going to make. We have to.
Yes it makes sense and not a problem. I don't see how you monitor these boards all the time.
I work from home and have my laptop nearby at all times. Plus we're supposed to keep a closer eye when there's an event like a canceled cruise, norovirus outbreak, etc. ;) Those types of things bring out all kinds of people. :eek:

Anyone have info on how one goes about getting the 20% future discount that is reported in several Main Stream News stories throughout the Carolina's.

Do a Google News Search for NCL MAJESTY and you will get at least 7 hits for news story's today that report the discount

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Anyone have info on how one goes about getting the 20% future discount that is reported in several Main Stream News stories throughout the Carolina's.

Do a Google News Search for NCL MAJESTY and you will get at least 7 hits for news story's today that report the discount

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I would call NCL directly and find out how to proceed.

I would call NCL directly and find out how to proceed.

Also, remember nice will get you more and better service than mad will. And, if you don't get it resolved on the phone sit down and write a really nice, concise letter stating what you paid for the cruise and what options would make you happy. All they can do is say no or counteroffer something else. Good luck!

Archived