12/30/2006 Majesty cancelled

cavou

So after driving 11 hours to South Carolina for a New Years Cruise on the Majesty we receive a call. We call the number back and its NCL and they tell us the Majesty is inoperable at this time. A full refund plus 50% off a future cruise...I can't begin to state how livid I am....Happy New Year!

So after driving 11 hours to South Carolina for a New Years Cruise on the Majesty we receive a call. We call the number back and its NCL and they tell us the Majesty is inoperable at this time. A full refund plus 50% off a future cruise...I can't begin to state how livid I am....Happy New Year!

Are you serious? I'm so sorry for you. :(

Four of my good friends and neighbors were on this cruise and just got a call about an hour ago. They were told it was mechanical problems. At least we live in South Carolina, I am so sorry that you had such a long drive only to found out the cruise was cancelled. Take some time to visit Charleston while you are there, it is a great city.

What a disappointment. At least you had not flown to Barcelona to find your Norway cruise was canceled as we did.

Miami - December 30, 2006 --- During her return to Charleston Friday morning, Norwegian Majesty experienced technical difficulties with two of the ship's auxiliary power engines. This issue had no impact whatsoever on the safe operation of the vessel. The ship arrived in Charleston as scheduled.

However, due to necessary repairs which will take place in Charleston, Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) has cancelled the ship's December 30 sailing.

NCL is offering all guests on the December 30 cruise a full refund and a 50 percent future cruise credit of the amount paid for this cruise, valid for any NCL ship from now until December 2007.

At this time, NCL expects the repairs to be completed within the next few days and anticipates the ship's January 6 sailing will commence as scheduled.

The company sincerely apologizes for any inconvenience and would like to thank its guests for their patience and understanding. Guests with questions can call 800-327-7030.

OMG !!!! I am scheduled to go on the Majesty on the 6th !! I am sooo sorry for you guys you wait for so long to go and the day before you find somthing like this out. I am on hold with ncl right now to find out what our options are in case it is not back up and running by next week.

We will arrive promptly....whenever. ;)

I know, this isn't funny to those who had their plans disrupted. Good luck to the future cruisers. We're hoping for good things. :)

I'm scheduled for the 27th. I hope they fix it permanently, and not just put a band-aid on it.

The NCL press release:

During her return to Charleston Friday morning, Norwegian Majesty experienced technical difficulties with two of the ship's auxiliary power engines. This issue had no impact whatsoever on the safe operation of the vessel. The ship arrived in Charleston as scheduled.

However, due to necessary repairs which will take place in Charleston, Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) has cancelled the ship's December 30 sailing.

NCL is offering all guests on the December 30 cruise a full refund and a 50 percent future cruise credit of the amount paid for this cruise, valid for any NCL ship from now until December 2007.

At this time, NCL expects the repairs to be completed within the next few days and anticipates the ship's January 6 sailing will commence as scheduled.

The company sincerely apologizes for any inconvenience and would like to thank its guests for their patience and understanding. Guests with questions can call 800-327-7030.

It appears the next sailing is still on, depending upon repairs. Since none of the main engines are involved, she should return on time. But she'll need her auxiliary engines for electicity and for her side thrusters. They have probably already cut off their air conditioning, they consume a lot of electricity as we all know in Texas where half our power use is for air conditioning.

I'm so sorry they cancelled your upcoming cruise. But a full fare refund and 50% off the price for this cruise on your next cruise next year is great compensation. With two bad auxiliary power engines broken down, you might be happy they cancelled the cruise, surely you didn't want to suffer with restricted electricty use while on a cruise.

Once I had a train cancelled while I was waitng at the station and the train never arrived. Amtrak's compensation was just my fares back. So the 50% offer on your next cruise isn't chump change.

Is this the same mechanical problem as last time? We are planning to book on the Majesty in March, but if this is a re-occuring problem I am getting worried to have the same thing happen again.

And to those of you that were booked on this cruise, I am so sorry. I know you looked forward to this cruise for a long time.

The Carnival Glory out of Port Canaveral leaving tomorrow evening still seems to have some rooms left. Not sure if this is a last minute option for any of you.

Is this the same mechanical problem as last time? We are planning to book on the Majesty in March, but if this is a re-occuring problem I am getting worried to have the same thing happen again.

And to those of you that were booked on this cruise, I am so sorry. I know you looked forward to this cruise for a long time.

The Carnival Glory out of Port Canaveral leaving tomorrow evening still seems to have some rooms left. Not sure if this is a last minute option for any of you.

No, as I recall it was a crankshaft on one of the main engines the last time several months ago. Yes, the Majesty is one of the older ships in NCL's fleet, around 15 years in age. In the cruising world she is just entering her prime.

Even the new ships are having mechanical difficulties, many with their azipods. Frankly, I'm amazed how strong these ships are built and wonder why we don't see more mechanical difficulties cancelling cruises.

Unfotunately, cruise lines don't have an extra ship to substitute, and even if they did, they most likely won't be nearby.

No, as I recall it was a crankshaft on one of the main engines the last time several months ago. Yes, the Majesty is one of the older ships in NCL's fleet, around 15 years in age. In the cruising world she is just entering her prime.

Even the new ships are having mechanical difficulties, many with their azipods. Frankly, I'm amazed how strong these ships are built and wonder why we don't see more mechanical difficulties cancelling cruises.

Unfotunately, cruise lines don't have an extra ship to substitute, and even if they did, they most likely won't be nearby.

If you saw more mechanical difficulties cancelling cruises, you would probably see fewer curise bookings. They can not afford those kind of problems. I have 2 experiences with itinerary changes on NCL due to mechanical problems before leaving the home port, and have switched my loyalty. Not saying I won't cruise them, but I have others that come first.

Archived