12/30/2006 Majesty cancelled

cavou

Oh my, I'm keeping an eye on this. We are sailing the Majesty on the 13th.

The 13th. Hope that's not an unlucky date!!

All joking aside, I know what a bummer this is, because something very similar happened to us exactly two years ago on a Carnival cruise. But we didn't find out until we had registered at the dock, and were fixing to board. However, we did get to cruise the gulf right off the shoreline of Mobile for five wonderful, cloudy, cold days. There was no refund offered, or any future discounts.

I will certainly be watching for any news on Majesty. I am so sorry this happened to everyone booked for that cruise.

Shay

I don't think I would be livid as much as totally disappointed. What a way to end the year and start a new one. I remember back a few years ago when people were arriving in Europe, planning on sailing one of Celebrity's M class ships (it was a relatively new ship to boot) and the same thing happened. Like Shoreguy said, there you are, stuck in another country. I can't remember what the line offered, but I do know many were out the airfare unless they booked through Celebrity. If nothing else, you do have the 50% off another cruise. Right now that may not seem like much, but after things settle down it will be a big bonus.

To those of you sailing in a week or so, good luck. Let's hope the problems are fixed. I am glad NCL is unloading their older equiptment and building so many wonderful new ships. NMnita

for me it s just not the 50% off another cruise which will be what about $300 pp. big deal. This is THE only time that I was able to take off of work all year. It is not like I can call my boss and tell her the cruise has been cancelled and she will give the hours back so I can take another week off during the year. I am a full time student and work full time and right now this is it. I am on the phone as we speak with my TA and NCL working out a backup plan in case it does not sail on the 6th

for me it s just not the 50% off another cruise which will be what about $300 pp. big deal. This is THE only time that I was able to take off of work all year. It is not like I can call my boss and tell her the cruise has been cancelled and she will give the hours back so I can take another week off during the year. I am a full time student and work full time and right now this is it. I am on the phone as we speak with my TA and NCL working out a backup plan in case it does not sail on the 6th

Is the 50% off good for any NCL cruise, and will it be offered next week also? I hope your cruise isn't canceled. NCL thinks it will still sail on schedule. I really do feel for everyone affected by this bad luck. It could have been any of us. :(

Yes, I feel sorry too. I had similar things happen to me in the past, planning a trip and having floods ruin my plans. But the good travelers come up with long laid plans of doing something else while we have scheduled our time off from work, I highly recommend planning another cruise in the future with the compensation NCL has provided and doing something else just as wonderful this week.

Sorry to hear this and you are missing your cruise.

50 per cent of a future cruise. Is that any NCL cruise? And 50 per cent off what price. NCL booklet price or the cheapest online price you can find.

Be careful. NCL people don't all say the same thing. We did the rewards program 2 weeks ago on the Dawn and was told 250 dep. would hold our future cruise. Got home and found a cruise to book. And they wanted more of a dep. I love their ships and cruises. But hate every NCL employee has a different story.

so sorry to hear this news. what a disappoint to all. not the big last hoo-rah for the year thats for sure.

50% credit could be a big deal if one paid full fare. the news release stated 50% off the price paid!!!! heck if that had happened on our last cruise, the 50% would have equaled less than $250. We got a heck of a deal on the Dream for Thanksgiving, pp was like $469, GG gty, which was obstructed oceanview, ended up getting upgraded to EE, totally unobstructed,7209.

Although this is a big $$ for NCL to absorb, I feel in cases like this a total of50% off NCL's posted price should be given.

Again sorry to hear the sad news.

If you saw more mechanical difficulties cancelling cruises, you would probably see fewer curise bookings. They can not afford those kind of problems. I have 2 experiences with itinerary changes on NCL due to mechanical problems before leaving the home port, and have switched my loyalty. Not saying I won't cruise them, but I have others that come first.

I'm sorry you have had such bad luck. But all cruise lines cancel cruises to repair mechanical problems. Here's a listing for just 2006.

On February 14, Cunard announced two cruises for the Queen Mary 2 would be cancelled to repair a propeller pod problem. A twelve day Mediterranean cruise in May will be replaced with a six day Norwegian fjords voyage, and a seven night Caribbean cruise in November has been cancelled.

On May 13, Celebrity announced the May 20 cruise for the Summit will be cancelled to replace the starboard thrust bearing.

On May 15, NCL announced the May 17 Trans Pacific cruise for the Pride of Aloha to Hawaii will be cancelled. The ship will be delayed in drydock for repairs on a damaged bearing in the starboard propeller shaft.

On August 10, Celebrity announced the 13 September cruise for the Infinity will be cancelled to replace one of the ship's two propulsion pods.

Carnival announced the August 21 cruise for the Celebration will be canceled so the ship could repair the damage it received on August 15.

On November 17, Celebrity announced the December 10 cruise for the Millenium will be cancelled to replace a port thrust bearing,

On November 27, Seven Seas announced two cruises for the Voyager will be cancelled to extend the drydock 11 days to repair the ship's diesel electric motors. The November 30 cruise and the December 4 cruise have been canceled.

December 30, NCL announced the December 30 cruise for the Majesty has been cancelled to repair two auxiliary engines.

This list only included cancelled cruises. A list of cancelled ports and delayed sailings caused by machinery problems would have been much larger.

Unfotunately, cruise lines don't have an extra ship to substitute, and even if they did, they most likely won't be nearby.

yet another reason why I think more ships should homeport at Charleston... grrr...

Hey, it should be kinda rainy the next few days (Today & Sunday), but we've had 70s all week, and the city is great.

There's great restaurants right along East Bay Street. The Have Nots!, a local improv group performs tonight right on Meeting Street (soo funny!)

Then of course there's all the historical sites: The Provost Dungeon on East Bay & Broad (my ancestor, the pirate Stede Bonnet haunts it! :eek: ), The Yorktown just over the Cooper River Bridge in Mt. Pleasant, Fort Johnson on James Island is where the civil war started! There's also Fort Sumter & Fort Moultrie (can't remember exactly where those are, :o but anyone else here can tell ya).

I know you're dissappointed, but I hope you do stay and try to make the most out of a week here (or at least a few days). Happy New Year!!!!

I'm so sorry they cancelled your upcoming cruise. But a full fare refund and 50% off the price for this cruise on your next cruise next year is great compensation. With two bad auxiliary power engines broken down, you might be happy they cancelled the cruise, surely you didn't want to suffer with restricted electricty use while on a cruise.

Once I had a train cancelled while I was waitng at the station and the train never arrived. Amtrak's compensation was just my fares back. So the 50% offer on your next cruise isn't chump change.

Electricon:

We once had a similar problem with Amtrak. When I emailed them afterward to tell them the inconvenience and extra expense we incurred, they were very nice and did give us extra compensation for another train trip

so sorry to hear this news. what a disappoint to all. not the big last hoo-rah for the year thats for sure.

50% credit could be a big deal if one paid full fare. the news release stated 50% off the price paid!!!! heck if that had happened on our last cruise, the 50% would have equaled less than $250. We got a heck of a deal on the Dream for Thanksgiving, pp was like $469, GG gty, which was obstructed oceanview, ended up getting upgraded to EE, totally unobstructed,7209.

Although this is a big $$ for NCL to absorb, I feel in cases like this a total of50% off NCL's posted price should be given.

Again sorry to hear the sad news.

I don't know what the OP paid, but 50% off the fare paid for any New Years cruise should be quite a savings on a future cruise. Laura, I certainly hope yu get to take your cruise next week. We will all keep our fingers crossed for you. NMnita

Just back from a wonderful Christmas Cruise will post details later. Ship had a problem on way back to Charleston from Key West Friday. We sailed back with limited electrical power. There was No Air Conditioning through out the ship. Very hot evening may people sleeping all over the ship as the cabins were very hot. Word from the crew is that the ship will not sail today and will be in Charleston for at least one week maybe more awaiting repairs. So those expecting a New Years eve cruise will be disappointed.

Overall it was a great trip with several adventures.

Thanks

Bob

Just back from a wonderful Christmas Cruise will post details later. Ship had a problem on way back to Charleston from Key West Friday. We sailed back with limited electrical power. There was No Air Conditioning through out the ship. Very hot evening may people sleeping all over the ship as the cabins were very hot. Word from the crew is that the ship will not sail today and will be in Charleston for at least one week maybe more awaiting repairs. So those expecting a New Years eve cruise will be disappointed.

Overall it was a great trip with several adventures.

Thanks

Bob

Wow, I love that you said it was a wonderful cruise despite the obvious problems. I look forward to reading about your week. Welcome back. :)

I just got off the phone re-accomodating my clients who were supposed to be on her. They said the people getting off the ship had quite a few horror stories: Apparently the ship was totally without power including AC. Many of the passengers were taking their mattresses up to the pool deck to sleep because of the darkness/heat etc.

The Mariner of the Seas was still available leaving tomorrow as of an hour ago.

Good luck to all, I am so sorry this happened.

Jodi

So sorry to hear about your cruise. I hope you can reschedule (take off work again, change plans, etc).

This is a huge loss for NCL. Not only all the money they are paying back 150% but New Years Eve alcohol purchases, the costs to fix the ship, etc. What about all the crew? Do they have to put them up in hotels or they just stay on board during repairs? Are they able to do other work during that week? If the crew stays on board, the ship should be very clean & tidy for the next cruise. Plus NCL has those salaries to pay. The crew misses out on tips. I wonder if they save on the food costs or the food will be wasted? I also wonder what the total $ lost will be, in the millions, over 1 week.

I returned this afternoon after quite possibly the most uncomfortable night of my life. Yes this ship lost power on Friday afternoon and we were without a lot of things for about an hour. They blamed it on a generator problem. The lack of AC in the evening was just unbearable! We slept in our cabin on the 4th floor deck with the door open, as a lot of people. They opened the door to the crew rooms on our floor too, so they could get some air. Their rooms are right by the engine room! I felt sorry for them, lots slept on the floor.

There were people camped out in the disco, on the stairwells, as well as the pool deck. They also called out a Code Alpha - which I think means a heartache, last night.

They didn't offer us any credit due to this problem, but hey, at least we got back $14 after we couldn't stop in Grand Cayman due to the swells.

:confused:

I returned this afternoon after quite possibly the most uncomfortable night of my life. Yes this ship lost power on Friday afternoon and we were without a lot of things for about an hour. They blamed it on a generator problem. The lack of AC in the evening was just unbearable! We slept in our cabin on the 4th floor deck with the door open, as a lot of people. They opened the door to the crew rooms on our floor too, so they could get some air. Their rooms are right by the engine room! I felt sorry for them, lots slept on the floor.

There were people camped out in the disco, on the stairwells, as well as the pool deck. They also called out a Code Alpha - which I think means a heartache, last night.

They didn't offer us any credit due to this problem, but hey, at least we got back $14 after we couldn't stop in Grand Cayman due to the swells.

:confused:

I'm so sorry about your last night being so uncomfortable. Was everything okay up until that point? I'm only asking to try and clarify when the Majesty started having problems. I had suspected something was wrong when I was on board the week before you.

Horror stories? Come on, surely weather has knocked out your electrictity at home many times. Maybe everyone should pack a flashlight for their next cruise. One wonders how people lived before Edision?

Anything mechanical can break down. Surely something has broken down at your home.

Yes, without electricity the ship was dark and the air conditioner was turned off. At least the ship returned, and was able to keep sailing the last day. You got your cruise, I feel for those who won't this week.

Horror stories. I rather think of it as an adventure!

I just got off the phone re-accomodating my clients who were supposed to be on her. They said the people getting off the ship had quite a few horror stories: Apparently the ship was totally without power including AC. Many of the passengers were taking their mattresses up to the pool deck to sleep because of the darkness/heat etc.

The Mariner of the Seas was still available leaving tomorrow as of an hour ago.

Good luck to all, I am so sorry this happened.

Jodi

can you really book on another ship or another line with such short notice (1 Day) what about pre-registration having to be done in advance. If this were to happen to me, I would be more than willing to drive to another port if there was time to catch another ship the next day.

MAC

I just returned from the 12/23 cruise. It was unfortunate that it ended so very badly, because it had been a pleasant time overall. Around 10am on Friday one of the generators blew and all power was lost. We bobbed off the very sunny coast of Florida until noon when we began moving again. As mentioned before, the lack of air conditioning made things unbearable as the day wore on, and someone passed out around 7pm. It was quite an adventure as people began pulling their mattresses and bedding into the stairwells of the upper decks where the doors were open in order to get some sleep. We commiserated and helped each other and also expressed our sympathies to the service staff who still had to work with smiles on. The only concessions made by NCL were that they allowed us to have free soda, wine and beer with dinner, and they set up a water station on deck 7. I was camped out on deck 7 and saw that it took over an hour for them to set up said water station. It was just really unfortunate all around, and I feel badly for everyone who flew or drove in to Charleston only to find that they would not be cruising this week.

I just returned from the 12/23 cruise. It was unfortunate that it ended so very badly, because it had been a pleasant time overall. Around 10am on Friday one of the generators blew and all power was lost. We bobbed off the very sunny coast of Florida until noon when we began moving again. As mentioned before, the lack of air conditioning made things unbearable as the day wore on, and someone passed out around 7pm. It was quite an adventure as people began pulling their mattresses and bedding into the stairwells of the upper decks where the doors were open in order to get some sleep. We commiserated and helped each other and also expressed our sympathies to the service staff who still had to work with smiles on. The only concessions made by NCL were that they allowed us to have free soda, wine and beer with dinner, and they set up a water station on deck 7. I was camped out on deck 7 and saw that it took over an hour for them to set up said water station. It was just really unfortunate all around, and I feel badly for everyone who flew or drove in to Charleston only to find that they would not be cruising this week.

I'm sorry that your cruise ended on a low note, and I'm glad that it was pleasant up until Friday morning. Thanks for checking in with us and giving some details. I hope your next cruise is perfect. :)

Archived