NCL and the Under 2 Crowd

katyf

Hi,

I've reviewed the 'cruising w/ your family' boards and have read most of the non-cruiseline specific tips for traveling w/ the little ones. But, I'm wondering if anybody has had any experience doing so on NCL specifically.

My husband, myself, and daughter (12 months) will be sailing on the Spirit in March. My husband spoke w/ an NCL rep and was told we could bring my daughter to play in the kids area as long as we didn't leave her. Has anybody had experience doing this? How did it go? The rep also said that we could 'probably' bring her to some of the activities for the 2-5 year olds...again, as long as we didn't leave her (which is fine...my husband and i have been on lots of cruises, this is more about having some family time together).

Anyway, just curious if anybody had any experience with this on an NCL ship?

TIA!

We will be on the Spirit March 18 with our son who will be 13 months at the time.

I got basically the same information as you did about the kids area and activities. Remember, swim diapers are a no-no but from what I understand, you can take them in the kids pool with a regular swimsuit.

If you are going after us, I'll be sure to give you a full report!

We will be on the Spirit March 18 with our son who will be 13 months at the time.

I got basically the same information as you did about the kids area and activities. Remember, swim diapers are a no-no but from what I understand, you can take them in the kids pool with a regular swimsuit.

Unfortunately, if your child isn't potty trained, he/she can't use any of the pools. It's a huge safety risk to others. I ran into this same dilemma when we cruised with my son earlier this year when he was 6 1/2 months old. The best advice we were given on this board was to bring a small ring pool, you can find them at Target, etc. and they're about 3 feet across. We decided to not do that but it was good advice for those that are interested. Now we're booking our cruise for next year when our son will be 26 months and we'll have the same problem...unless I can potty train him by then. I don't even know if 2 year olds can be potty trained. :p Anyway...about the pool...if your child gets fecal matter in the pool, the pool will have to close, be drained and sanitized which could take several hours or a day. It effects anyone wanting to use the kiddie pool.

We took our 12 month old on the Spirit back in September. There is a time each day (usually 1:30 - 2:00 and 5:30 - 6:00, I think) that you can take your under 2 year old to the kids' center (you have to stay with them). My son had a blast! There was a big "jungle gym" that the parents could go in with their kids, with a ball pit and slides. This was his favorite time of day the whole cruise. On port days, it was only once per day that they offered it.

Also, next to the kids' pool is a large area with a few toys, like a car to ride, a baseket ball hoop, a riding horse. It was a pretty open area so he liked to run around there when the kids center wasn't open. There's also a little wading pool that we stuck his feet in so he could cool off.

As far as I know, they are pretty strict with the 2-5 year old group and won't let you join in.

I hope that helps. Have a great cruise!

Both my sister in laws have taken under 2 year olds on NCL cruises. While we have never experienced the "play time" in the kids club area, I think that would be a great idea.

They are very strict about both the age groups and the pools.

1.) No children under 2 are allowed in the pools or hot tubs at anytime. Swim Diaper, regular diaper, no diaper, it doesn't matter. Start to (or look like you are) put a kid who looks under 2 or is in diapers in a pool and watch how fast the NCL staff pounces on you! (again, it is a sanitary issue and is standard on most cruise lines.) This applies to the main pool, kids pool, hot tubs and wading pool.

2.) They will not take children under 2 in the Kids Club program, period! They use the ships manifest to check kids ages at the time of sailing.

Also, for those who are over 2, they must be potty trained to attend kids club or the parents will be given a beeper and paged each time a diaper change is needed. The Kids Club staff does not change diapers. In addition, the pagers only work on board, so parents with kids who aren't potty trained cannot use the Group Babysitting in port to go off the ship without thier child.

Hope this helps.

Unfortunately, if your child isn't potty trained, he/she can't use any of the pools. It's a huge safety risk to others. I ran into this same dilemma when we cruised with my son earlier this year when he was 6 1/2 months old. The best advice we were given on this board was to bring a small ring pool, you can find them at Target, etc. and they're about 3 feet across. We decided to not do that but it was good advice for those that are interested. Now we're booking our cruise for next year when our son will be 26 months and we'll have the same problem...unless I can potty train him by then. I don't even know if 2 year olds can be potty trained. :p Anyway...about the pool...if your child gets fecal matter in the pool, the pool will have to close, be drained and sanitized which could take several hours or a day. It effects anyone wanting to use the kiddie pool.

If he is ready, yes---our son was 25 months when he was but he was more than ready. I think it depends upon their muturity age not so much physical age. Funny--he had his tonsils our then and we put a diaper on him(nurses said) and he refused to go potty in it--wanted his daddy to take him to potty. Dad did and we have never looked back at diapers for him since.:D

PS how's the snow:D

We just sailed on the Star in Nov with our daughter who was 16 monts at the time. We didn't take her to the kids club for 2-5 because we knew she was too young. However, they have a infant "play room" set up for childeren under 2 (with parent supervision of course) They had different toys in the room each day and there were a few times that there were other infants in there with thier parents and Ava was able to play with a few other children. She had a GREAT time!

If he is ready, yes---our son was 25 months when he was but he was more than ready. I think it depends upon their muturity age not so much physical age. Funny--he had his tonsils our then and we put a diaper on him(nurses said) and he refused to go potty in it--wanted his daddy to take him to potty. Dad did and we have never looked back at diapers for him since.:D

PS how's the snow:D

Kinds and potty training I think is a matter of, not only maturity but is mommy and daddy ready as well? My kids were all out of diapers during the day by 2 and night time by 2 plus a little: both of our older granddaughters were about 25 months old and trained in a matter of days. Our almost 3 year old grandson is still in diapers. His mom says she knows she can train him as he tells her when he needs changing, but she just isn't ready for the hassle. I just keep my mouth shut.I may not understand, nor do I understand the bottle, but I have confidence he will not start kindergarten in diapers or using a bottle. ......BTW I know Cecelia has had it with snow, we have here in NM and it can't compare with what has happened in Denver. NMnita

If he is ready, yes---our son was 25 months when he was but he was more than ready. I think it depends upon their muturity age not so much physical age.
I'm ready NOW. I think I need to put my 14 month old on the fast track. :D We're not cruising until next December so I've got time to get him on it.
PS how's the snow
Well, we got another 6 inches yesterday so it's piled high every where you go and the roads are icy. I'm crossing my fingers for a clear January because my canceled Christmas trip to Las Vegas is rescheduled for January 12. If snow derails me again I'm going to start to think Lady Luck is telling me to stay home. :eek:

Keystone...that's not funny. Really...not funny. LOL I don't want your snow. :p

I don't even know if 2 year olds can be potty trained. :p

They can, my oldest daughter was fully potty trained by 18 months, and my other daughter was more closer to 20 months. Some kids are just more ready than others, BUT I also believe it has alot to do with the parents too. It requires patience & time. And of course some kids just can't control their bladders until they are older...but it's recognizing when they may be ready & not giving up when you are trying. If it's not consistant, it doesnt help either :)

I just read the post & felt the need to share my experience...it's different for every kid, but it is possible:)

I never brought my kids on cruise before, but when they were babies, the resorts we stayed at never had issue with having them in the pool if they were wearing water diapers. It's good to know at least that the cruiseline is strict on this if it could be a safety issue for quality of water. I never gave it much thought before...but it's comforting to know that if they are so stringent on matters like this, then they probably carry that on with other safety measures on the ship too:)

just my 2 cents...have a great cruise!

Now we're booking our cruise for next year when our son will be 26 months and we'll have the same problem...unless I can potty train him by then. I don't even know if 2 year olds can be potty trained. :p

Cecilia- I've got five boys, ranging in age from 22 to 8. I've been around for several pendulum swings re: potty training. I've done all of my kids, except the last (I was too lazy), by exactly 25 months. I've heard that if you wait until 3, the training will be more "complete." I will say that all of my 25 monthers wore Pull-Ups (or a diaper) at night for at least 6 months afterwards. One wore one until he was FOUR, but he's left handed- so was my 3 year old potty-er. I swear left handed babies are harder to train! But the one who trained at 3 did not wear anything at night.

The thing to remember is this: bribery, plain and simple. Leave a canister of M&M Minis on a shelf in the bathroom and give him ONE each time. Leave the diaper OFF- when you decide to do it, just get the diapers out of the house so you won't be tempted. Do NOT use Pull-Ups during the day because obviously they feel like diapers. Give yourself four days- he will be done, I promise. Just remember: he will not tell you he has to "go" for months after that. Not consistently, anyway. You just have to put him on the potty on a regular basis and he won't have to go at other times. Some people get frustrated when the child does not tell them he has to "go" (the whole "why didn't you tell me???" mess), but as I said, that comes LATER.

I really believe in getting the job done before he will argue with the whole process. The bribery/reward thing is KEY. You can use Skittles, too, but give him ONE.

If it turns into a nightmare after a couple of days, completely and totally give up for a few months or you will have a really unpleasant situation on your hands. Try to do it during vacation because you do need those few days with the diaper OFF.

Archived