Just back from the Sensation, our first cruise!

taylor1293

So glad to hear that you enjoyed your first cruise! :D Hope your second is just as wonderful.

About cabin size...I have to say that I'm a claustrophobe, and too many people in a room will freak me out. On the first cruise I ever took in 1988, I was in a standard outside cabin with three other adult women. Never again. :) One of the main reasons why I like Carnival is because the cabins on their ships are relatively large, but for me even Carnival's cabins are too small for more than three adult-sized people. And in some cases, even three is pushing it for my comfort. :)

In my experience, though, balcony cabins aren't much bigger than a standard ouside. In fact, often they're smaller than a standard outside, some of the square footage being taken for the balcony although they include the balcony in the cabin's square footage calculation. I was on Destiny in a balcony cabin twice, once in a cabin that accommodated four (with one pulldown bunk and one sofa that converted to a twin bed) and one that was designed for three (No pulldown, but with the sofa). They were the same size I believe and were too small, IMO, for four adult-sized people. But, like I said, I'm a claustrophobe and require more space or else I feel crowded and freak out. It might be OK if your kids are still small in size. We've got early bloomers, unfortunately. *sigh*

So, if you can afford it (It'll be more expensive) and if you think your kids can handle it, I'd definitely suggest the two-cabin route if you can't get a suite... We're on the Elation in February with two adult-sized kids (11- and 13-year old boys. 13-year-old is taller than me at 5'8" and the 11-year-old isn't far behind), and it was cheaper to put four in a suite than it was to book two cabins for four people. But, like truecruiser said, the suites go quickly...

My kids will not have their own cabin. They are 5, 8 and 9. So, i will stay with 2, and DH will stay w/ 1, but that'll only be for overnight. We'll all stay together at all other times. I couldn't even imagine my kids staying in a separate room. I still have trouble w/ my 8 yo staying in his own room at home. His imagination runs wild, and he is afraid of everything! He'd never stay in another room (yet). He's too chicken!:p (But, in all honesty, at these ages, i wouldn't be able to sleep a wink if they were separated from us. I'd probably be the most worried of all;) )

That sounds like a great set up for night. Your 8 year old sounds like our 13 year old DD, lol! Her imagination runs wild too and she's afraid of everything. There were a few times during the cruise (in the middle of the night) that she sat straight up in bed because some noise scared her.

• 2 weeks later...
I've read that before about the size of the cabin, but that didn't make me feel any more comfortable while in the cabin. It would have been nice to have just a small sitting area other than the bed. I don't need a large room, just slightly more space. It was very cramped with 4 people.

You may enjoy the Destiny, Triumph, Conquest class ships as well then. The standard oceanview cabins are larger, and have a sitting area with a sofa. :)

-Mike

Just back from our first cruise and I have to say that it was WONDERFUL! We enjoyed the show, loved the food, and the service was fantastic. The 6-8 year old Camp Carnival was great! However, the 12-14 group wasn’t the best, a little more structure would have been nice, IMO. Nevertheless, my 13 year old still had a great time! My only complaint was the piano bar, or should I say the singer. He had a horrible attitude. Hated his job, hated Carnival, hated being in a room with smokers, hated the customers, and hated being asked to sing the same songs over and over again (yes, he said all of this). It was a huge disappointment as DH and I love piano bars.

Thanks to everyone on this board who provided such a great source of pre-cruise information. I learned so much before I boarded that I felt like I was an experienced cruiser before I even left!

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask!

Teresa

When we were on the Sensation this past fall there was a woman playing in the Piano Bar that was just terrible !!! Every time we walked by the room was empty !

When we were on the Sensation this past fall there was a woman playing in the Piano Bar that was just terrible !!! Every time we walked by the room was empty !

We sailed Sensation on 1/7/07. Had cat 11 Balcony room. Sofa made out into a double bed. Plenty of room for 4 ppl, if Carnival would allow it. Lots bigger than standard rooms.

We were in the piano bar only during High Tea and it was a woman playing the piano then, and she didn't sing.

No rock climbing wall, but there was miniature golf. Also, Kareoke(?) was a hit with the young adults (and very funny after the booze cruise group got back). Lido deck is always teeming with activity.

Food was great, as always. We resist looking at the menu ahead of time, as we like the "surprise" at dinner. Must try: Chocolate Melting Cake. No Grand Buffet this cruise though, and the Captain's party (free drinks) was held 7:00 - 8:00 p.m., so those dining at 6:15 (us) missed the party. :mad:

Service was AWESOME! Malcolm & Velizar waited on our table. Delia was room steward and Htun is an awesome bartender.

Enjoy your trip on Sensation, everyone!

We sailed Sensation on 1/7/07. Had cat 11 Balcony room. Sofa made out into a double bed. Plenty of room for 4 ppl, if Carnival would allow it. Lots bigger than standard rooms.

We were in the piano bar only during High Tea and it was a woman playing the piano then, and she didn't sing.

No rock climbing wall, but there was miniature golf. Also, Kareoke(?) was a hit with the young adults (and very funny after the booze cruise group got back). Lido deck is always teeming with activity.

Food was great, as always. We resist looking at the menu ahead of time, as we like the "surprise" at dinner. Must try: Chocolate Melting Cake. No Grand Buffet this cruise though, and the Captain's party (free drinks) was held 7:00 - 8:00 p.m., so those dining at 6:15 (us) missed the party. :mad:

Service was AWESOME! Malcolm & Velizar waited on our table. Delia was room steward and Htun is an awesome bartender.

We sailed Sensation on 1/7/07. Had cat 11 Balcony room. Sofa made out into a double bed. Plenty of room for 4 ppl' date=' if Carnival would allow it. Lots bigger than standard rooms.

Enjoy your trip on Sensation, everyone![/quote']

Maximum capacity for a Cat 11 on any Fantasy class ship is 3.

-Mike

Teresa, do you happen to have a copy of the menu for the week? Or do you know which 4 days they serve from the 7 day menu?

TIA

Sorry, no copies of menus or capers! I know they served lobster the first night we were on ship, otherwise, I don't remember what was on the menu.

All this talk about the Sensation is making the anticipation worse!:p

Hope they have the piano bar problem ironed out before we get there, that was one of the things on my "must do list". :D

I hope they have him removed before your trip too! It was something we were also really looking forward to!

Glad you had a good time! The chocolate melting cake is awesome!

We sailed Sensation on 1/7/07. Had cat 11 Balcony room. Sofa made out into a double bed. Plenty of room for 4 ppl' date=' if Carnival would allow it. Lots bigger than standard rooms.

Enjoy your trip on Sensation, everyone![/quote']

"My only complaint was the piano bar, or should I say the singer. He had a horrible attitude. Hated his job, hated Carnival, hated being in a room with smokers, hated the customers, and hated being asked to sing the same songs over and over again (yes, he said all of this). It was a huge disappointment as DH and I love piano bars."

I hope he left the ship as we are in the 1/21 sailing and love piano bars!!!

"My only complaint was the piano bar, or should I say the singer. He had a horrible attitude. Hated his job, hated Carnival, hated being in a room with smokers, hated the customers, and hated being asked to sing the same songs over and over again (yes, he said all of this). It was a huge disappointment as DH and I love piano bars."

I hope he left the ship as we are in the 1/21 sailing and love piano bars!!!

Archived