panama canal on brilliance of the seas

Regarding the post about the bugs and keeping your balcony doors closed - is this just going through the canal? Where does the most severe heat/bugs begin? I really am affected by heat, and don't want to spend most of the cruise indoors. Any help, please? We are going on the March 5th sailing.:cool:

I think the two formal nights were on Day 2 and Day 8. Both were sea days. Just an FYI, there were lots of tuxedos on this cruise. Glad my DH took his. I think the longer cruises tend to see more *formal* attire on those designated nights. Hope this helps!

Thanks Karen, I lost track of this thread for a while and just found it again.

We know some people on the 1/22 sailing - that is an 11 day trip, so we will get some feedback on the excursions they are doing in Aruba and C. R. and post it here. I think they are staying on the ship at the Canal.

41 days to go for us!!

Ed and I are joining the group for a fun-filled cruise again! We are on the 2/12 cruise. This is our first time thru the Panama Canal. Any hints would greatly be appreciated. What about Costa Rica? Have been to Aruba in the past, so we are okay there.

Looking forward to meet everyone soon!

Pat and Ed

Regarding the post about the bugs and keeping your balcony doors closed - is this just going through the canal? Where does the most severe heat/bugs begin? I really am affected by heat, and don't want to spend most of the cruise indoors. Any help, please? We are going on the March 5th sailing.:cool:

My dh and myself will be on this sailing also. I am very prone to mesquito bites and will be using repellant as a precaution. Something containg deet. Have you signed up for the meet and mingle party if not please do so we can all get to meet you.

Just back from Brilliance to Panama...

I've read different opinions about excursions in Panama, but I would HIGHLY recommend the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute. Note that it's NOT available to book on board, you can ONLY book it online up to 10 days before departure.

If you inquire about it once aboard, expect to get conflicting answer. I was finally told that they don't offer it on board because they've consistently had problems with older passengers who felt they could handle the trip, but I don't know if that's the case because we were also told the excursion had been cancelled and that it wasn't going to be offered.

It's a 2-hour drive (with traffic and very, very bad roads) from the port to the dock, then about 20 minutes by boat across the canal to Barros Colorado, the Smithsonian's research station. We hiked across the island (dense rain forest) for about 90 minutes.

In spite what you'll be told on board, this excursion DID include lunch. In total, we were gone for about 8 hours.

This excursion is not available to anyone using walkers or assistive devices, and you should be in good shape because the hike is difficult and the weather is exceptionally hot and humid. If you can, go with the guide named Wendy. She's an air traffic controller at her real job!!!

P.S. bring bug repellent!

Just back from Brilliance to Panama...

I've read different opinions about excursions in Panama, but I would HIGHLY recommend the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute. Note that it's NOT available to book on board, you can ONLY book it online up to 10 days before departure.

If you inquire about it once aboard, expect to get conflicting answer. I was finally told that they don't offer it on board because they've consistently had problems with older passengers who felt they could handle the trip, but I don't know if that's the case because we were also told the excursion had been cancelled and that it wasn't going to be offered.

It's a 2-hour drive (with traffic and very, very bad roads) from the port to the dock, then about 20 minutes by boat across the canal to Barros Colorado, the Smithsonian's research station. We hiked across the island (dense rain forest) for about 90 minutes.

In spite what you'll be told on board, this excursion DID include lunch. In total, we were gone for about 8 hours.

This excursion is not available to anyone using walkers or assistive devices, and you should be in good shape because the hike is difficult and the weather is exceptionally hot and humid. If you can, go with the guide named Wendy. She's an air traffic controller at her real job!!!

P.S. bring bug repellent!

We were thinking of doing this tour, but I have so-so knees, do you think I could do it? Was the ground you were walking on uneven? path? Did you have time to shop at the pier when you got back?

Sue

I am on the 11 day version so we are going to different ports but I can tell you, you must have a ship's excursion (RCCL) booked in order to get off in Lake Gatun. We are doing the Emberra Indian Village which has gotten great reviews on these boards.

We did that Indian Village tour with Princess - it was great. The people were so warm and friendly. They invited us to climb the ladder up into their treehouse. It was awesome. Then they cooked fresh caught fish on an outdoor fire and served it in wrapped in a large leaf. They put out a very nice buffet for us and entertained us with native dancing.

Very very interesting experience. They make baskets that are a work of art - search them on google. You can buy one at the village - but beware they are expensive. Bring cash there are some beautiful crafts.

Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Ed and I are joining the group for a fun-filled cruise again! We are on the 2/12 cruise. This is our first time thru the Panama Canal. Any hints would greatly be appreciated. What about Costa Rica? Have been to Aruba in the past, so we are okay there.

Pat and Ed

Hello Pat and Ed.

Have you checked out the Roll Call boards? We have a fairly active group on the 12 February sailing. Some have received their cruise docs and the count down has begun. We also have enough people for a Meet & Mingle on the ship. This is our first cruise thru the canal, but we have some folks on our Roll Call that have been on this trip and glad offer hints. Come join the roll call and register for the Meet & Mingle. We would love to meet you.

Cindy

I am on the 11 day version so we are going to different ports but I can tell you, you must have a ship's excursion (RCCL) booked in order to get off in Lake Gatun. We are doing the Emberra Indian Village which has gotten great reviews on these boards.

We did that Indian Village tour with Princess - it was great. The people were so warm and friendly. They invited us to climb the ladder up into their treehouse. It was awesome. Then they cooked fresh caught fish on an outdoor fire and served it in wrapped in a large leaf. They put out a very nice buffet for us and entertained us with native dancing.

Very very interesting experience. They make baskets that are a work of art - search them on google. You can buy one at the village - but beware they are expensive. Bring cash there are some beautiful crafts.

Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Thanks for the info, I am trying to figure something out though, I talked on the boards to someone who had taken the RCCL tour and they said they left the ship by tender (20min) then went to a hotel where the canoes left from and had about a 20 min canoe ride to a "recreated village". Was this your experience or did you have about and hour and a half ride to the village? (real one). She was not happy with the tour and after your review I am trying to figure out if you two went to the "same" village.

Hi Sue,

I talked to you the other day about the indian excursion. All I can tell you for sure is that the village I went to looked nothing like the pictures from the other cruisers who have taken independent tours, and during the RCCL tour they did not cook for us which I would have loved. After talking to quite a few people, both on and off these boards, it's seems to me that there are 2 different villages and due to time constraints, RCCL goes to the closer village.

My good friend and a fellow CC member sent me her pictures from the Gamboa Tram excursion, and if you want to see some of the beautiful parts of Panama, this might be something you'd be interested in. She has pictures of capuchin monkeys in the tress, some coatis, a few poisonous snakes, and some beautiful pictures of Panama taken from an observation tower at the end of the tram ride. After the tram, they went to the butterfly sanctuary, and then an orchid farm, and the last stop was at an old military base that had been converted into a luxury resort. Her pictures are fabulous and she said the excursion was well worth the money.

The Smithsonian excursion seems so interesting to me, if your knees can handle it, I might try that one.

Try the Jungle Breezes Zip-Lining in Costa Rica for a pure adrenaline rush!!! I am terrified of heights and never in a million years did I think I could do this, and now I'm hooked. Cruising to Jamaica in Oct. and am definitely gonna' do it there.

Or ir your a little more laid back, the Tortuguero Canal Tour. Many people I know took the tour and loved it.

We were told to keep the balcony doors closed especially if it rained while we were in Panama. They tend to come out very heavy after the rain. We were lucky and had no rain that day. We were up on deck all morning and never noticed one bug and the heat did not get really bothersome until afternoon. My husband had our door open once we were back on ship and we didn't get any bugs. I thought Costa Rica was hotter. We went right back to the ship after our excursion because it very humid and sticky, but still very few bugs and again no rain for us. You shoud be alright most morningsand early afternoons. It's in the midday 2pm and on that it can get a little stiffling in Panama and Costa Rica.

Hi: I have cruised to Costa Rica before and will also be on your cruise. When there we took the Canal cruise and it was really nice. saw sloths, birds and other animals. My over 80 mother didn't think much of it though.

Pat and Ed

Thanks for the info, I am trying to figure something out though, I talked on the boards to someone who had taken the RCCL tour and they said they left the ship by tender (20min) then went to a hotel where the canoes left from and had about a 20 min canoe ride to a "recreated village". Was this your experience or did you have about and hour and a half ride to the village? (real one). She was not happy with the tour and after your review I am trying to figure out if you two went to the "same" village.

We took a bus ride - it was at least 45 minutes-- (maybe even longer) to a remote area and there we got into canoes. The village was located on an island. I believe it was the real thing.

Check on the princess website and see if it sounds like RCL's excursion.

We were gone all day.

Pat and Ed

Hi Pat & Ed,

We are also on this sailing and also extend our invitation for you to meet some great folks who are posting on the 2/12/07 Brilliance Meet & Mingle Board. Just click on RCCL Roll Call Forums and come join us.

Not the same excursion. RCCL's is only 3 1/2 hours long and does not go to the Chagres National Park.

Thanks Micki Dee and Threeofus,

I appreciate all the info, now to figure out exactly what we want to do, because we do want to get off the ship and see some of the country.

Sue

We just returned from the BOS 10-night Panama Canal cruise 2 days ago.

As far as excursions...in Aruba, we booked the Sail, Snorkel, Swim and Swing trip through RCCL, which was the Jolly Pirates snorkeling trip. The snorkeling wasn't the best we've had. The second stop was at the sunken ship Antilla. It was our first experience snorkeling in deep, open water. Also, our first time to wear a snorkeling vest, but glad we did. Neither my husband nor I cared for this type snorkeling. It was kind of creepy. The 3rd stop was where all the passengers had a chance to swing from boat on a rope swing into the water. Afterward, their staff put on a show for us. The highlight of the excursion was the ride on the Banana Bus back to the port. We had a blast!!!!

In Curacao, we bought an independent tour of the island from the pier for $20 each. It was ok. At least they dropped us off downtown to do shopping before returning to the ship.

We did not do an excursion at the Panama Canal. The reason we picked this itinerary was because my husband really wanted to see how the canal operates, and if we took an excursion, we would only go through the canal one way, and he wanted to see it both times. We entered the canal just after dawn, and exited shortly after lunch. We did a little shopping at the pier afterward. It was very hot. We did not notice a lot of insects. However, I did notice I had 2 insect bites on my shin.

In Costa Rica, we did the Original Canopy Tour zip-line. It was a lot of fun. We had about a 45 minute ride up into the mountains. We both wore insect repellent (they had it available for everyone to use as we geared up). We only saw a toucan and some spiders, ants, butterflies at the zip line location, but on the way back to ship, we were taken to a spot where we saw a howler monkey and a sloth in the trees. We were expecting a video to be made of the zip-line, but there was no one filming. I'm glad I took my camera to take some shots.

I'd be happy to answer any questions...

Lisa

We just returned from the BOS 10-night Panama Canal cruise 2 days ago.

As far as excursions...in Aruba, we booked the Sail, Snorkel, Swim and Swing trip through RCCL, which was the Jolly Pirates snorkeling trip. The snorkeling wasn't the best we've had. The second stop was at the sunken ship Antilla. It was our first experience snorkeling in deep, open water. Also, our first time to wear a snorkeling vest, but glad we did. Neither my husband nor I cared for this type snorkeling. It was kind of creepy. The 3rd stop was where all the passengers had a chance to swing from boat on a rope swing into the water. Afterward, their staff put on a show for us. The highlight of the excursion was the ride on the Banana Bus back to the port. We had a blast!!!!

In Curacao, we bought an independent tour of the island from the pier for $20 each. It was ok. At least they dropped us off downtown to do shopping before returning to the ship.

We did not do an excursion at the Panama Canal. The reason we picked this itinerary was because my husband really wanted to see how the canal operates, and if we took an excursion, we would only go through the canal one way, and he wanted to see it both times. We entered the canal just after dawn, and exited shortly after lunch. We did a little shopping at the pier afterward. It was very hot. We did not notice a lot of insects. However, I did notice I had 2 insect bites on my shin.

In Costa Rica, we did the Original Canopy Tour zip-line. It was a lot of fun. We had about a 45 minute ride up into the mountains. We both wore insect repellent (they had it available for everyone to use as we geared up). We only saw a toucan and some spiders, ants, butterflies at the zip line location, but on the way back to ship, we were taken to a spot where we saw a howler monkey and a sloth in the trees. We were expecting a video to be made of the zip-line, but there was no one filming. I'm glad I took my camera to take some shots.

I'd be happy to answer any questions...

Lisa

How long was the zipplining al together? was it 45 min up and 45 min down?

Lisad63 -- thanks for the heads-up on the tours; guess we'll skip those (LOL). Any copies of Compass that you can post will be helpful; specifically to know which are the formal nights? and do they offer the "murder mystery" dinner @Portofino's (which day)?

Archived