Victor Bodden guide/driver recommendations? (MERGED THREADS)

RealDeal

We had Derrick last week. A good tour guide could make or break a trip and Derrick was great.

I second the recommendation for Derrick. We had a great tour with him. Roatan is gorgeous. Definitely someplace we would like to visit again.

We had Lionel last week. He was wonderful! We did the Best of Roatan tour -- tour of the island and a visit to Victor's home. There are several monkeys that you can take pictures with as well as some cool, colorful birds. I tried to read all of the reviews on Victor's tours that I could find...99.9% of them were positive. Lionel was informative, interesting and fun to hang out with. In addition, the island is absolutely beautiful. This was my 5 cruise with Carnival -- I've visited many islands and Roatan has got to be one of my favorites. Feel free to ask any questions. Have fun on your trip!

sdmike - just read your review on Roatan, very detailed and informative! I was already looking forward to this day, but now even more so (we're also booked with VB tours). Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences with others. Didn't see the pictures, will look again tomorrow.

We had Lionel (Leonell) 5 years ago for our driver so he will know his job very well. We (4 of us) rented a car w/driver at that time was $100 for the day. Lionel asked where we wanted to go or do. We told him to just show us the sights of the Island. We went to the Iguana farm, he described the different features like the ship wreck and the governors house. We then went to West End beach area and where most of the shops are. We don't swim or snorkel so DW checked out the shops. At lunch he asked where or what we would want to eat. We again told him to take us to HIS favorite food establishment and he sat with us and we paid for his lunch also. He was an excellent guide and showed us a great time. I would ask for him again.

We just got back yesterday from the Carnival Legend. We had Tex as our guide in Roatan. The island is beautiful, and the Victor Bodden employees we came in contact with were all professional and kind. Tex was wonderful. We felt we were in good hands with him, as he spoke perfect English, was informative, and listened to what we wanted to do. We had told Tex that we liked animals, were not into shopping much, and did want to see a beach but wouldn't spend much time there. We started the day at Victor's house seeing the monkeys. That was the highlight of our whole cruise. We are still chuckling about it. Tex then took us to see the dolphins, which was great, too. We went to a few spots to take photos, did a little shopping, and saw a beach at a beautiful resort. At that point, Tex talked to us about how much time we had left in our day and how we wanted to spend it. We decided to do the cameo factory and the iguana farm. (We had been hoping to see some iguanas in the wild, but that did not happen.) The cameos are beautiful, and the employees there are informative. Off to the iguana farm, which I would not recommend unless you really have your heart set on seeing iguanas. It is expensive to get in ($8 each), and very smelly. We were happy we went, but didn't think it was worth what we paid. When we got back to the van and Tex, he told us that he doesn't normally recommend the iguana farm to visitors, but he did hear us talk of really wanting to see iguanas. Tex then took us back to Mahogany Bay because we told him we wanted time to ride the chairlift and check out that area. It was a fantastic day, and I highly recommend Tex and Victor Bodden Tours.

I'm trying to decide what tour to book with Victor - Zip & Dip or The Best of Roatan. There are only 2 of us, both first time cruisers. We definitely want to do the zip lines, see Victor's monkeys, and visit a beach. The Zip & Dip tour includes a visit to West Bay Beach, which sounds great. But, will we be missing out by not visiting West End Village and Half Moon Bay?? Any advice?

I was thinking about that. I just don't want to cram too much into one day so I was looking for other peoples' feedback.

This is about how our schedule went with Zip n Dip and the Epic earlier this month.

Just after 8 - Off the Epic and over to check in with Victor. Then about half hour to wait / shop.

Just before 9 - Van loaded, driver Olen took us once around Coxen Hole on the way to Victor's house (Mayan Jungle Canopy zip line).

About 10 - Geared up and off to the zip lines. Spent close to hour on the zip lines. The guides left plenty of time between people to take photos. Visit to the animals followed.

Just after 11 - Back into the van and off to Infinity Bay Resort (West End Bay). We had just over 3 hours to enjoy the water / eat / lounge.

About 3 - Back to the van. Our guide wanted us at the ship 2 hours before last passengers on; which was 5:30.

If you go with a private guide you should get more time, because it appeared like the guides were ready when we got off the ship just after 8 and you might be able to continue sight seeing past 3:30.

This is about how our schedule went with Zip n Dip and the Epic earlier this month.

Just after 8 - Off the Epic and over to check in with Victor. Then about half hour to wait / shop.

Just before 9 - Van loaded, driver Olen took us once around Coxen Hole on the way to Victor's house (Mayan Jungle Canopy zip line).

About 10 - Geared up and off to the zip lines. Spent close to hour on the zip lines. The guides left plenty of time between people to take photos. Visit to the animals followed.

Just after 11 - Back into the van and off to Infinity Bay Resort (West End Bay). We had just over 3 hours to enjoy the water / eat / lounge.

About 3 - Back to the van. Our guide wanted us at the ship 2 hours before last passengers on; which was 5:30.

If you go with a private guide you should get more time, because it appeared like the guides were ready when we got off the ship just after 8 and you might be able to continue sight seeing past 3:30.

Thank you!

Our last trip to Roatan (Dec 2009) I wrote Victor and explained that after the zip line that we wanted to do lunch at Half Moon Bay. He said no problem. The driver dropped us off for lunch and then dropped the other folks off at the beach. He then came back for us and we still had well over an hour at the beach. We did have 5 in our group and that may have helped. The other option is to go to the roll call page for your cruise and see if anyone else wants to join your "group". Then you can do what ever your group wants.

Just wanted to put my "two cents" about booking with Victor. I booked for 3 of us. At the last minute my two friends totally dipped out, one even staying on the ship:(

I was devastated, as I was REALLY looking forward to the tour. I went to Victor's kiosk, explained my situation and was able to negotiate a reasonable price for going solo. I never once felt unsafe with my driver/guide..though for the life of me, I can't remember his name. He drove me all around the Island, stopping at Victors house to see the animals...I didn't care to zipline.

Then he drove me to a beach/shopping area and let me explore for a couple of hours. I really wished I had worn my bathing suit:(

I was able to eat lunch, drink a few local beers, and meet him at the designated spot...oh and I did plenty of shopping too:)

I am going back to Roatan again in April, and will book with him again!

Our last trip to Roatan (Dec 2009) I wrote Victor and explained that after the zip line that we wanted to do lunch at Half Moon Bay. He said no problem. The driver dropped us off for lunch and then dropped the other folks off at the beach. He then came back for us and we still had well over an hour at the beach. We did have 5 in our group and that may have helped. The other option is to go to the roll call page for your cruise and see if anyone else wants to join your "group". Then you can do what ever your group wants.

Thanks for the suggestions.

We just got back yesterday from the Carnival Legend. We had Tex as our guide in Roatan. The island is beautiful, and the Victor Bodden employees we came in contact with were all professional and kind. Tex was wonderful. We felt we were in good hands with him, as he spoke perfect English, was informative, and listened to what we wanted to do. We had told Tex that we liked animals, were not into shopping much, and did want to see a beach but wouldn't spend much time there. We started the day at Victor's house seeing the monkeys. That was the highlight of our whole cruise. We are still chuckling about it. Tex then took us to see the dolphins, which was great, too. We went to a few spots to take photos, did a little shopping, and saw a beach at a beautiful resort. At that point, Tex talked to us about how much time we had left in our day and how we wanted to spend it. We decided to do the cameo factory and the iguana farm. (We had been hoping to see some iguanas in the wild, but that did not happen.) The cameos are beautiful, and the employees there are informative. Off to the iguana farm, which I would not recommend unless you really have your heart set on seeing iguanas. It is expensive to get in ($8 each), and very smelly. We were happy we went, but didn't think it was worth what we paid. When we got back to the van and Tex, he told us that he doesn't normally recommend the iguana farm to visitors, but he did hear us talk of really wanting to see iguanas. Tex then took us back to Mahogany Bay because we told him we wanted time to ride the chairlift and check out that area. It was a fantastic day, and I highly recommend Tex and Victor Bodden Tours.

Aaah your comments brought back such wonderful memories of our day with Tex. He is great. We thought he had a little Irish lilt to his voice. He said others have told him that as well. He actually took us to his house and we met his dogs. He had to pick something up and we found it great to see the areas where locals live. It was such a wonderful day. Glad you enjoyed Tex as well

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I went on a tour in July with Channin Bodden. This was our favorite activity of the cruise. When we met Channin, we were greeted with an air-conditioned SUV. We hit it off right away. Channin is very friendly and knowledgeable about his country. He drove us around the island, stopping at scenic places for photos. Ask him to take you to the sugarcane juice stand. It is amazing.

Beautiful view

167-1.jpg

Next, we went to Carambola Botanic Gardens. Channin gave us a tour of the gardens and pointed out interesting vegetation. In Roatan, people use plants, fruits, and vegetables for medicinal purposes. Just about every plant we saw had some sort of healing power.

On Easter Sunday, this tree "bleeds" red sap

195-1.jpg

After that, we drove on West End Beach (yes, you do actually drive on the beach), past Channin's house, and on to the monkeys! There are so many animals here and Channin and another employee guided us through. The animals were all healthy and well cared for, with clean water and cages. The monkeys were very entertaining, but they will search your purses and pockets for whatever they can get their hands on!

Driving on West End Beach, which used to be a main highway on Roatan

201-1.jpg

A new friend!

232-1.jpg

We asked Channin for a lunch recommendation. He gave us an option of going to one of the restaurants on the beach, which would have faster service but American food, or to one of the restaurants on the island where the locals go. We chose the latter, and were so happy we did! Channin took us to Bertie's, and the owner, Bertie, is one of the best chefs on Roatan. The restaurant has an open-air style with no air conditioning, but it was nice and cool inside. Bertie came out to greet us, and the restaurant staff was very friendly. The garlic grouper was amazing. It was served with rice and beans and plantains. The portions are enormous, by the way. My husband was happy because they served sodas in glass bottles. Channin ate with us. His meal was free, so don't worry about having to pay for another meal if he joins you...although we gladly would have treated him to lunch. Channin was great company, and we talked about our families, interests, and life on the island. He was very easy to talk to and we had a relaxing lunch.

Best restaurant in Roatan!

252-1.jpg

We had planned to go to West Bay Beach, but had so much fun with Channin that we just didn't have time. So Channin took us to the Infinity Bay resort, just to see the beach. It was beautiful, nice and clean with soft white sand, but we were happy that we had chosen to get to know Roatan rather than spend time on the beach. We will just have to do that next time!

Channin drove us back to the ship through Coxen Hole, the island's capital. It is much more crowded here but still charming. We told Channin that the cruise director had warned constantly against the dangers in Roatan, and he said there really isn't much crime. Of course, there is crime everywhere, but we never felt unsafe or afraid. Kids were out walking home from school alone, which we would never do in Chicago where we live, but in Roatan, everyone knows everyone, so there is a sense of safety. So, use common sense when visiting another country, but please go out and explore! You will miss out on a lot if you don't.

Our awesome tour guide!

266-1.jpg

Channin got us back to the ship with time to spare. When he brings you back, he'll drop you off right next to the terminal, so there is no long walk on the way back. I was disappointed that the day was over, but I know we will be back someday. Roatan was a beautiful place, and I am happy that I got the chance to experience it. We left feeling like we had made a true friend in Channin. He is an amazing representative of Bodden Tours as well as Roatan. Thank you Channin!

My husband and I went on a tour in July with Channin Bodden. This was our favorite activity of the cruise. When we met Channin, we were greeted with an air-conditioned SUV. We hit it off right away. Channin is very friendly and knowledgeable about his country. He drove us around the island, stopping at scenic places for photos. Ask him to take you to the sugarcane juice stand. It is amazing.

Beautiful view

167-1.jpg

Next, we went to Carambola Botanic Gardens. Channin gave us a tour of the gardens and pointed out interesting vegetation. In Roatan, people use plants, fruits, and vegetables for medicinal purposes. Just about every plant we saw had some sort of healing power.

On Easter Sunday, this tree "bleeds" red sap

195-1.jpg

After that, we drove on West End Beach (yes, you do actually drive on the beach), past Channin's house, and on to the monkeys! There are so many animals here and Channin and another employee guided us through. The animals were all healthy and well cared for, with clean water and cages. The monkeys were very entertaining, but they will search your purses and pockets for whatever they can get their hands on!

Driving on West End Beach, which used to be a main highway on Roatan

201-1.jpg

A new friend!

232-1.jpg

We asked Channin for a lunch recommendation. He gave us an option of going to one of the restaurants on the beach, which would have faster service but American food, or to one of the restaurants on the island where the locals go. We chose the latter, and were so happy we did! Channin took us to Bertie's, and the owner, Bertie, is one of the best chefs on Roatan. The restaurant has an open-air style with no air conditioning, but it was nice and cool inside. Bertie came out to greet us, and the restaurant staff was very friendly. The garlic grouper was amazing. It was served with rice and beans and plantains. The portions are enormous, by the way. My husband was happy because they served sodas in glass bottles. Channin ate with us. His meal was free, so don't worry about having to pay for another meal if he joins you...although we gladly would have treated him to lunch. Channin was great company, and we talked about our families, interests, and life on the island. He was very easy to talk to and we had a relaxing lunch.

Best restaurant in Roatan!

252-1.jpg

We had planned to go to West Bay Beach, but had so much fun with Channin that we just didn't have time. So Channin took us to the Infinity Bay resort, just to see the beach. It was beautiful, nice and clean with soft white sand, but we were happy that we had chosen to get to know Roatan rather than spend time on the beach. We will just have to do that next time!

Channin drove us back to the ship through Coxen Hole, the island's capital. It is much more crowded here but still charming. We told Channin that the cruise director had warned constantly against the dangers in Roatan, and he said there really isn't much crime. Of course, there is crime everywhere, but we never felt unsafe or afraid. Kids were out walking home from school alone, which we would never do in Chicago where we live, but in Roatan, everyone knows everyone, so there is a sense of safety. So, use common sense when visiting another country, but please go out and explore! You will miss out on a lot if you don't.

Our awesome tour guide!

266-1.jpg

Channin got us back to the ship with time to spare. When he brings you back, he'll drop you off right next to the terminal, so there is no long walk on the way back. I was disappointed that the day was over, but I know we will be back someday. Roatan was a beautiful place, and I am happy that I got the chance to experience it. We left feeling like we had made a true friend in Channin. He is an amazing representative of Bodden Tours as well as Roatan. Thank you Channin!

Good post. We're going to Roatan for 1st time on CCL Legend 11/14/2010.

We also want to zip-line. Do you think there is enough time for both?

Good post. We're going to Roatan for 1st time on CCL Legend 11/14/2010.

We also want to zip-line. Do you think there is enough time for both?

hmmm... i think this would work. you will have a good 6 hours in roatan, so combining the zip line with an island tour should not be a problem. i would email victor and tell him your interests. if he doesn't say no, it can be done! have fun, you will love this place!

Loved the pictures from the tour. I have booked them for a tour. They responded saying that we should get there soon after the boat docks. We will be on Soltice. Does anyone know about what time we will be able to get off the ship? I didn't think we would need to meet them that early. Do we really need that much time? We just booked monkeys, shopping, lunch, cameo factory and sightseeing.

Loved the pictures from the tour. I have booked them for a tour. They responded saying that we should get there soon after the boat docks. We will be on Soltice. Does anyone know about what time we will be able to get off the ship? I didn't think we would need to meet them that early. Do we really need that much time? We just booked monkeys, shopping, lunch, cameo factory and sightseeing.

We're on the Solstice 09/26---we've booked a mirror of your request---I'll post back to our experiences the week of 10/03. Wife is most interested in the Cameo factory. She's a good spender!:rolleyes:

We're on the Solstice 09/26---we've booked a mirror of your request---I'll post back to our experiences the week of 10/03. Wife is most interested in the Cameo factory. She's a good spender!:rolleyes:

Can't wait to hear about your experience. I'm very interested in the cameo factory also. I might have to treat myself to an early Christmas present. :D

I would imagine Celebrity docks in Coxen Hole. Victor likes you to get off the ship as soon as you can because, as you know, you don't pre-pay and they want to make sure that all the guides they line up actually have someone to take on a tour. As you can imagine, some don't show up and that's income lost. If you get off a little later as we did on our Princess cruise in November, just find Victor's booth and they will help you out. We just about missed going with the guide we had requested because we were off a little late and someone else was trying to get him. There are people that don't pre-book but walk up to Victor's booth to book a tour. Fortunately for us we still ended up with Tex and had a great time. If, for some reason, you are a bit late getting off the ship don't stress Go to his booth and the folks there will make sure you get on a tour. Victor runs an excellent operation and you will have a great time.

Also, they are very concerned to make sure you get back to the ship in time. We didn't do the monkeys or zipline so can't answer the timeframe question. We did alot of sightseeing around the whole island and enjoyed a very leisurely lunch and then a bit more sightseeing and last the Cameo Factory.

Edited by chloedmom

I would imagine Celebrity docks in Coxen Hole. Victor likes you to get off the ship as soon as you can because, as you know, you don't pre-pay and they want to make sure that all the guides they line up actually have someone to take on a tour. As you can imagine, some don't show up and that's income lost. If you get off a little later as we did on our Princess cruise in November, just find Victor's booth and they will help you out. We just about missed going with the guide we had requested because we were off a little late and someone else was trying to get him. There are people that don't pre-book but walk up to Victor's booth to book a tour. Fortunately for us we still ended up with Tex and had a great time. If, for some reason, you are a bit late getting off the ship don't stress Go to his booth and the folks there will make sure you get on a tour. Victor runs an excellent operation and you will have a great time.

Also, they are very concerned to make sure you get back to the ship in time. We didn't do the monkeys or zipline so can't answer the timeframe question. We did alot of sightseeing around the whole island and enjoyed a very leisurely lunch and then a bit more sightseeing and last the Cameo Factory.

How long did that take? Do you remember about what time they brought you back to the ship?