Bigger Deck...Aft BA or Mini AB?

Cruise Junky

We have just returned from 9 days on the Pacific Princess which is the sister to the Tahitian. We had a mini - 8041 - and loved it. The room was a great size and the verandah was very wide though not deep. It had 4 chairs and a table.

We have booked an aft cabin on the Tahitian Princess in June - 7116. I know the cabin will be a lot smaller (after the mini I am tempted to upgrade) but I have heard that the verandah is much deeper and therefore can take a couple of lounges.

I too would be interested in hearing how deep Deck 7 aft cabins are. I know that Deck 6 has the deepest verandahs due to the slope at the rear of the ship.

Jennie

We have just returned from 9 days on the Pacific Princess which is the sister to the Tahitian. We had a mini - 8041 - and loved it. The room was a great size and the verandah was very wide though not deep. It had 4 chairs and a table.

We have booked an aft cabin on the Tahitian Princess in June - 7116. I know the cabin will be a lot smaller (after the mini I am tempted to upgrade) but I have heard that the verandah is much deeper and therefore can take a couple of lounges.

I too would be interested in hearing how deep Deck 7 aft cabins are. I know that Deck 6 has the deepest verandahs due to the slope at the rear of the ship.

Jennie

You'll have to let me know about 7116, that's our cabin on Royal Princess in August. Thanks for the info.

We had 7116 on the TP in Aug 06 and the key word is slope. We didn't try 2 lounge chairs, but they probably would fit. Some of the "extra" space is a wedge shape about 2 ft up from the deck that extends past the railing. Maybe the lounge (and your toes) could fit in this space. The room is very small and storage is sparce. Black soot does fall on the balcony chairs, so take care to wipe them off. The view though is beautiful.

cruisenut,

Thanks for letting us know about 7116. I know that the cabin is quite small as we were in a normal verandah, I think it was 7021, back in 2004. It was very comfortable though and the verandah was a bonus. I had read that the aft verandahs are so much better so am hoping that this is so otherwise I will not be very popular with my DH as he couldn't see anything wrong with the normal verandah that we had in 2004.

Of course after being in a mini last week, we are tempted to see if there are any still available for our cruise in June. It was just so comfortable.

Jennie

From what I've read on CC, it will depend on which deck you're on. Because of the shape of the ship, deck 6 has the deepest balconies and they get smaller on deck 7 and smaller yet on deck 8.

Sounds like the secret is to make friends with the people in the adjacent OS and remove the partition between your balcony and theirs! :D

I was able to see the standard balcony on deck 7 and I'd say 7116 has at least twice the depth (door to end of area under railing). A tape is something I must remember to bring. For all the rough seas we had going to Rarotonga I thought this aft room was smoother than the midship rooms we had on our Mexico (DiP, rough seas out of Cabo) and Alaska (Sun, rough seas near College Fjords) cruises. BUT that is just my opinion.

cruisenut2001,

Thanks for that information. I actually emailed our TA earlier this week to see if we could upgrade to a mini on our Tahitian cruise but they are all booked and we have been put on a waitlist. I doubt if we will get one so am looking forward to our aft cabin.

I was wondering how much the aft cabins moved as the Pacific Princess certainly moved a lot a week ago and we were only in Force 6 winds. So many people were sick especially if they went forward to the show lounge for the Captain's Cocktail Party. Quite a lot had to leave in a hurry.

We had Force 11 gales when we were on the Regal Princess last year going to Antarctica. I felt that ship handled the rough seas extremely well unlike the Pacific Princess.

We fortunately do not feel the motion. Our cabin on the Pacific was midships, 8041, and in a great position though.

Jennie

Archived