Video of wild seas on Jewel Transatlantic

bhughey

Hi there, slider -- we're neighbors! We live in Dilworth!

It's been awhile since I've posted on CC... we've been focusing on "land" vacations lately, but just today, we were saying how we want to do another Transatlatic, maybe May '08. Please do not allow the video to dissuade you... Transatlantic cruises are the best mix of relaxation and ports!

I believe someone asked if we were in the North Sea when we hit rough water -- we were actually about two more sailing days from Lisbon, Portugal. I think we were nearing the Azores. I have to admit -- it was great fun!

Hi there, slider -- we're neighbors! We live in Dilworth!

It's been awhile since I've posted on CC... we've been focusing on "land" vacations lately, but just today, we were saying how we want to do another Transatlatic, maybe May '08. Please do not allow the video to dissuade you... Transatlantic cruises are the best mix of relaxation and ports!

I believe someone asked if we were in the North Sea when we hit rough water -- we were actually about two more sailing days from Lisbon, Portugal. I think we were nearing the Azores. I have to admit -- it was great fun!

We're booked on the Voyager out of Galveston on April 20, 2008. This is Voyager's last round trip from Galveston for the season so on April 27, 2008 she will be heading for the Med.. We have two couples on our roll call who will be staying on for the crossing. If you're looking for a crossing in 2008 and enjoyed Voyager why not make it a B2B.

• 1 month later...

Enjoyed your rough sea vid as well as all of your pic albums. Had a night and day of similar seas a few years ago off Cape Hatteras.

I like to tell people that it was the only night in bed where I could roll over without doing it myself. It was our last night so our dressers were empty and the drawers kept opening and closing. Couldn't do much except hang on and giggle.

For a vid of another ship seen from a chopper having a real struggle moving along, click this link..

The name of that ship escapes me at the moment, but I researched it some time ago after seeing this vid. It was designed/built/advertised as having a very high cruise speed due to its military design and lightweight aluminum hull...which is all fine and good if you're on a battleship.

It turns out that all the added superstructure weight of cabins, swimming pools etc made this ship inherently unstable even in flat calm waters. First hand reports from its first transatlantic cruise showed the design to be seriously flawed because the ship heaved about constantly even when waves were absent. About a third of all the passengers got the heck off the ship at the first opportunity. By the time the ship got to the final port there were only a couple hundred passengers remaining.

This vid was shot from a rescue chopper that was standing by during a typhoon.

Aside from the obvious struggles with wind and waves, I suspect that one or more of the engines might have shut down as the ship's props cavitated near the surface of the water. When the props catch a bit of air the engines rev higher and if the revs jumpt too high too fast the computers automatically go into failsafe and shut them down to try and protect them from further damage. This isn't a good thing in a typhoon...

Happy Cruising,

Alan

PS...may your cruise be smoother than that one (!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
You know, old age is something. I just realized that you were talking about the Jewel and I posted a picture concerning the Pearl. Sorry about that.

I do wonder if there's something about NCL's TA crossings that invites hurricanes.

We'll see when the Gem does on its TA this December to Boston.

Pete

So funny you should mention that! :p I found this post while searching for weather for my - YOU GOT IT! - NCL Gem TA. Flying out this Saturday.

WISH US LUCK!!

Nancy

P.S. I'm one of those that thinks it looks "fun" :D

• 1 month later...

:D

Seriously...Thanks for sharing...I am a bit naseous as well

Makes me wonder...Any idea what the wave height was.? We were on Rhapsody,during Ivan.Passed it in the Yucatan 150 miles from center,110 winds...40ft waves..We were so hunkered down by that point...No idea what the waves looked like...I can only imagine .

We have some stills that look about like yours,and that was at 15-20 ft

Archived