Drinks in Cabin - Hawaii

Cruise Junky

Hi there, what are my options? I understand you can't get a bar set up in Hawaii? are there anyways around this? Corkage is $15 to bring on bottles of wine right? Can you order a bottle of vodka from the bar at inflated prices? Really wish I'd have known about no bar set up before we booked, I wouldn't have done it. I think I hate NCL before even cruising them.

I know this will sound terribly negative, but if you truly "hate" NCL before you even cruise with them because the state of Hawaii will not allow bar set ups or other hard liquor options for your cabin, then it might be better to reconsider this cruise. I'm not saying you shouldn't cruise with NCLA, but it sounds like no matter how good any other aspects of the cruise are that you will not enjoy your cruise because it has been colored by this issue. And it is not NCLA's rule; it is the state of Hawaii's, so I guess that's who you really should "hate" instead.

I'm pretty sure you can't buy a bottle of hard liquor at one of the bars and take it back to your cabin, but I'm not positive.

beachchick

I should have explained better, I've had nothing but trouble with this reservation and it's not going to be me that flips over this news,it's the couple that we're cruising with and as we are tied to another couple that has air, there's no cancelling it.

If having Vodka in you cabin is that important just fill a couple of small water bottles and carry them on. Better then 50/50 you will get them to your cabin. Worse case you are are where you are now.

I'd like to think they are past the age of smuggling. I wish NCL would have a legitimate way of having a drink in your cabin. They can just drive room service nuts every half hour.

I'd like to think they are past the age of smuggling. I wish NCL would have a legitimate way of having a drink in your cabin. They can just drive room service nuts every half hour.

If price is not the issue I am sure if you talk to the F&B director they will sell you a bottle at the per drink price like a hotel.

My USA Travel Agent has just e-mailed me.

She spoke to NCL about this and they have told her that I should email the ship co-oordinator ar NCL direct and something can be done.

This may take some days I am told

Will report how I progress.

Thanks for posting this, I look forward to your report.

I don't quite get this Hawaii law! I can buy a bottle of liquor in Waikiki and bring it to my hotel room, so why can't I do the same on the ship??:confused:

NCL had to work with the Hawaiian and U.S. Governments to put these American flagged ships in place even thought they don't meet all of the requirements of U.S. flagged ships. This could perhaps fall under some of that give and take thing.

If Electricron stops by, he may have some insight. He seems to know an awful lot about these rules.

I just returned from the 1/6/2007 sailing on the POA. During the week,(I'm not sure which day), as I was looking at the cruise calander they leave in your room nightly, I came across a list of liquors and prices for sale and consumption in your cabin. I wish I had seen it on the first night. It would have been convienient(sp) and cost effective for those pre- dinner and sunset cocktails. I also wish I had saved it to print and post on these boards.

Archived