Spirit & Kids/Teens

Jfeasel

We're looking at going on the Spirit in July with a group that includes kids/teens ages 10, 12, 14 and 16. The stops include Bermuda, Tortola & St. Thomas with 4 days at sea. We haven't done Tortola or Bermuda and wanted to sail out of NYC so this itenary looks good. While we enjoy sea days, I'm worried that the kids will be "bored" after 2 days on the ship because it has just 1 pool (I think the kids pool will be too small for them) and no bells and whistles like a miniature golf or surfing area. Has anyone sailed with teens/kids on this ship before? How was it?

The kiddie pool on the Spirit is one of the nicest in the industry. I am sure your kids will enjoy the pool aft. Overlooking the kiddie pool and watching your kids in the Ampitheater is a great location for resting, finding lounge chairs, and depending on its location with the sun either a great place for shade or sunning. This is also a great place to watch the ship's wake. A bar is just one deck up, in the Raffles Terrace.

Hi Don,

BTW I used to go to high school with someone named Don Haynes. It would be funny if you're the same guy... Nyack HS?

Anyway, we just returned from 12 days on the Spirit over the holidays. We left on Thursday at 5:30 and didn't get to St. Thomas until mid-day Sunday. We had several sea days at the end as well. Our 17 year old went to the Kids gathering the first night, made friends, and found plenty of things to do on the ship. He was in the arcade some of the time (not that much considering we didn't give him much spending money), hanging out, in the card room (playing cards and board games), in the hot tubs, etc. Often they hung out in the Blue Lagoon and ate wings/potato skins, etc. At other times I have no idea what nooks and crannies they found, but they managed to stay busy. He would tell you he had an awesome time. There's also a basketball court, table tennis, shuffleboard, the gym (for the 16 year old), and I'm probably forgetting half the stuff kids can do.

There are schedules with daily activities for different age groups (Teens 13-17) and the younger ones would be in the next group and from what I could tell, nice counselors. That would definitely keep the younger ones occupied and even my 17 year old went with the group from time to time when the activity appealed to him. Twice he ate in the Windows dining room with the group (anything to avoid Mom and Dad!). Anyway, I would think they will be fine. Enjoy the cruise!

Best regards,

Linda

last summer my 13 yr old went to the kids crew.

he did scavenger hunts,battle of the sexes and other things done in groups.

he was with 4 others most of the cruise.

he was able to hang out in the club and if he did not like what was going on he left. no big deal.

unlike my 10 yr old who needed to be signed in/out of the club.

he was basically stuck there if he did not like what was going on.

he did have a good time but rathered doing other things as he wanted to do.

we are doing the dawn this summer.

We will be a group of 18 on Spirit cruise leaving NYC 7/21/07. Ages of kids will be 18, 13, 11, 11, 5 and 3. We are planning on having a blast even if we have to make our own fun. We are all staying on deck 9. We will be celebrating a wedding (07/07/07) and a high school graduation (05/19/07). I've never been on a cruise and am so excited! Come join the fun.

Barbara

murrayhaven@comcast.net

We have an ll yr. old son and he loves to cruise. On his first cruise he was 6 and we signed him up for the kids club. He had a great time. The next time we sailed with him he was 9 and it was Spring Break. He hated the kids club and after the first night wouldn't go back. My husband took him to the video game arcade and within 5 mins. my son had made a new friend and spent the rest of the cruise hanging out with a group of about 4 boys. Last year at 10 yrs. old he would not go near the kids' club. We gave him the walky-talky and told him to check in with us every hour to let us know where he was. This is a great tool (if your kid is responsible and well-behaved - thank goodness ours is). Some of the things he did with his new friends was to play cards and games in the card room, hang out and eat, played ping pong, hit the hot tub, played bingo. Since your kids are older I think the teen club is a great idea because they keep them busy with all kinds of activities that younger kids can't do. They have dances, they can go to the disco, and just hang out. You guys will have a great time!:D

My 6, 8 and 10 year old sons loved the Spirit; it's their favorite ship of the Spirit, Dawn and Sun. But, theie age range is a little bit different than yours.

They found plenty to do.

Have fun. I'm sure they'll be fine.

Tom

Archived