How to tell which side of the ship to be on?

I cant figure it out. Explorer has gone in forward to ports and backwards. I think one thing in play here is how many ships and when you arrive. I can say there is advantages to both. Maybe A nice view of the harbor or you may enjoy the views of the city, port.

"Port" means left! Starboard is right. Either side of the ship is fine--it makes no difference. The ships don't dock in the same position everytime, so there's no way of knowing which side will face the dock. (Sometimes the "dock facing" side isn't that attractive!

ie: it's a total crapshoot!

I would also like to know this.. Is the Port Side of the ship "really" the side that will dock port side..? Thanks.

Carla

No, the "port side" has no relation as to which side will dock facing the port.

I think there are many factors as to which side docks where.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_%28nautical%29

"Port" means left! Starboard is right. Either side of the ship is fine--it makes no difference. The ships don't dock in the same position everytime, so there's no way of knowing which side will face the dock. (Sometimes the "dock facing" side isn't that attractive!

ie: it's a total crapshoot!

I agree with cb at sea. Ships are ambidextrous and can dock right or left, bow or stern first:) . Most likely if you are like me, you will love the view from the ship regardless of whether or not you are at the front, back, left or right side. Have a good time!

Which side the ship is docked isn't always a factor for selecting side of ship. On my South Caribbean Serenade cruise, I selected the starboard side so I'd have view of the islands on the northbound sea day from my balcony. I did the same on my upcoming Voyager cruise, which will be travelling south along the coast of Mexico. I'd probably take the route into consideration if I were doing a Hawaiian cruise.

I would also like to know this.. Is the Port Side of the ship "really" the side that will dock port side..? Thanks.

Carla

Portside is the left side of the ship if you are looking forward. The right side is Starboard. It has nothing to do with which side faces the port when the ship docks. As most cruisers will tell you, this can vary from port to port and even from sailing to sailing. In some ports you will be much happier if you are facing the harbor, while in others it can be nice to be able to view the port. Don't expend much effort trying to choose which side of the ship you want your stateroom located. On some itineraries such as one-way Alaska cruises, it can make a difference, but on most it won't.

Archived