Tipping bar staff

snowman

I just did a search on this and the "search" decided not to work this morning. We were on a cruise on the Sun in Oct. and we are doing it again next month. The question I have is when we signed the tab I always wrote in a $ 1 to $2 tip. Does anyone know if the server actually gets this or does it go to a tip pool deal. The reason I ask is at the end of the cruise I tipped an additional $10.00 to each of the staff that served us. One of the bar servers looked at the tip and frowned like it was not enough. I want to do the right thing, so how about some help with this. Thank You

snowman , he most likely was bewildered. Alot of people dont tip extra due to the fact of the 15% already added on as mentioned above( with the exception of outstanding service). The next time you put a 10 spot in someones hand and they frown , Take it back.

mpk

Agree with the bewildermment answer. As said before, there is a 15% gratuity added to your drink bill each time you order drinks.

We have, on some cruises, handed a cash tip to a bartender or server at the end of our cruise is we have frequented that bar often during the cruise. Example, we enjoy piano bars and often tip the drink waiters and/or bartenders in the piano bar as well as the piano player.

It's your money and by all means tip as you see fit, but do not feel obligated to tip more than the automatic gratuity already added to your drink bill.

Dianne

Does anyone know if the server actually gets this or does it go to a tip pool deal.

Snowman .... Yes, all written tips go into the tip pool. If you want your bartender to get the $$, give him cash. Just like on land, if I plan of sitting at a bar for an extended time (or coming back often on a ship), I will give the bartender $10 or $20 right off the bat! I tended bar in college and saw this often years ago. It really makes an impression and gets you great service and stiffer drinks!:)

Steve

Snowman .... Yes, all written tips go into the tip pool. If you want your bartender to get the $$, give him cash. Just like on land, if I plan of sitting at a bar for an extended time (or coming back often on a ship), I will give the bartender $10 or $20 right off the bat! I tended bar in college and saw this often years ago. It really makes an impression and gets you great service and stiffer drinks!:)

Steve

dolfandude is right, cash is king! I tend to go to the pool bar often and I give my bartender 1 - 2 dollars extra for each drink. No frowns!! The benefits are the cash goes directly to the intended person, drinks are stiffer, quick service, and they tend to remember your name! Oh, and I forgot, an occasional free one. If you are going to tip extra, ( and you don't have to )that's the way to go!!

A little carification - most of what has been almost correct for NCL not NCLA

NCLA - no automatic 15% you must add a tip to the check or provide cash (the king). If the OP drank all week and the only tip on NCLA was $10. I could see why there might be some disappointment. Far better then no tip. Totally different story on NCL.

NCL - Why is cash is king - It is not exactly the tip pool issue. Bar staff are paid on a draw against the tips on the checks. Last time I checked it was $1000 per month. If you add addition tip on the check and they do not reach the minimum they will not see it as it goes against the shortfall on the draw. If they exceed the draw they will see the additional share.

Cash is the only way to be certain the money will be seen by the server. :)

Archived