Oosterdam Food

nabby

Well, the clock is ticking down, and in 9 days we will be on the O-dam. :D

Time for some fun stuff. I read in someone's review that they did not care for the prime rib. So, time for a poll. What dinners do you recommend? Is there anything that I should be sure not to miss? Is there anything I should avoid at all cost? ;)

Unless we get a gift from our TA I don't plan do dine in the Pinnacle. I have heard good things about the nacho bar and the Fiesta/BBQ night on the Lido on PV day. Anything else I should know about?

All of the dinners I had were very good, with the exception of a noodle dish on the last night. But that was the night DH & I ordered a couple of dinners apiece so we could try them all! If you ever have a meal you don't like, just ask for something else. They are more than accommodating.

In The Pinnacle I had a t-bone that was excellent. But I wouldn't eat there again, the service was bad. We walked out before dessert, we'd already been there an hour and a half! It was v-e-r-y slow.

I think the BBQ on PV night was good, but honestly I had quite a bit of tequila on the catamaran trip that day so don't remember too well!

Have a good time! I don't think you'll be hungry and all the food is good - except for that noodle dish.

Laura

We were on the O last April. I can't remember any meal that wasn't great. I really don't understand some posters who come to these boards and rant about how mediocre the food was. Perhaps I've just been lucky.

Anyway, I remember having a filet mignon in the dining room that ordinarily I would have said was the best I've ever had. I can't say that because a couple of nights previously, we had dinner in the Pinnacle and the filet I had there was to die for! It was the largest filet I've ever had. It must have been five inches across and two full inches thick. I like my beef cooked medium, which can be difficult on a piece of meat that large. It was cooked perfectly.

The lobster in the dining room was New England lobster. I've heard some people claim that they used a California lobster, which is smaller and tastes different. Not on our cruise. This was true New England lobster and IT WAS FRESH, NOT FROZEN. I can tell if lobster has been frozen. Others may disagree, but to me, freezing lobster radically alters the taste. IMHO, it becomes inedible. I was amazed that they had the space to keep that much lobster refrigerated without freezing it.

My favorite junk food is hot dogs. The hot dog/hamburger grill near the Lido pool makes a pretty good dog. I'd get a couple and then go to the nearby taco bar and load them up with chili and onions. Mmmm, mmmm, good.

I'll echo what others are saying - I really enjoyed the food on the Oosterdam. The prime rib and lobster were excellent. Also great were the crab legs and the lamb. If you enjoy ethnic dishes there was a fantastic dish the first night - can't remember the name but it was an Indonesian dish w/seafood and was to die for!

Archived