Burning CDs, flash memory sticks, photo storage????

IMNEPIPHANY

Here goes again! Can anyone tell me what can be done at the Internet Cafe? Can I burn a cd? Do the rentable laptops burn CDs? Can I upload photos to an internet storage site? Save to a memory stick? Is there any way to save photos and clear my camera memory card? We have a great digital camera, but it is over 6 years old and I cannot find any new memory cards for it. Any help is appreciated! Thanks--Kaye

Sailing on the SUN 2/04/07

Here goes again! Can anyone tell me what can be done at the Internet Cafe? Can I burn a cd? Do the rentable laptops burn CDs? Can I upload photos to an internet storage site? Save to a memory stick? Is there any way to save photos and clear my camera memory card? We have a great digital camera, but it is over 6 years old and I cannot find any new memory cards for it. Any help is appreciated! Thanks--Kaye

Sailing on the SUN 2/04/07

Kaye,

I've sailed the Sun 6 times, most recently in December 2006. The new Internet Manager just started the cruise I was on, and she seemed quite helpful.

Assuming you have to use a cable to transfer photos out of your camera, you may be fine. She should be able to help you.

I'm not sure any of the computers on the Sun will have a slot that would handle your specific flash memory requirements.

Once you have the photos on the computer, you shouldn't have any trouble transferring your photos via the web to your photo album in the sky.

However, instead of using the internet cafe on the ship to do this, I recommend the following internet cafe's in your ports of call:

Costa Maya - There is an internet cafe right in the port mall area. Should be able to move your pictures from there.

Santo Tomas - Internet Cafe in the port building. If you can speak spanish, you'll be fine. You can connect almost anything to their computers, but their english speaking skills are negligble. Friendly folk, but "No habla ingles..."

Belize City - There is an internet cafe within walking distince of the place where you tender in. I forget it's name, but ask a person on the street, and they'll point you to it. It's behind the free pirate museum mall area. Of all the stops, this is your best bet for off loading photos as the staff here is very talented and helpful.

Cozumel - I used the free internet at the Palmayra cafe on the old town square, but I had my own laptop. Haven't used an internet cafe here.

If you have a laptop, you'll have great success in all of these ports.

Enjoy the rebuild Sun. It is my favorite ship.

Tom

We have a great digital camera, but it is over 6 years old and I cannot find any new memory cards for it. Any help is appreciated!

What kind of memory card does it take that you can't find one? Just a guess, but SmartMedia maybe? You can get them, but they're quite expensive. If it's MMC you're in better shape.

Thank you for all the info! Can you tell me if any of the internet cafe's have USB ports? I want to buy a flash memory stick, but have found that there are different types. USB2.0 and U3 USB2.0. (Sorry about my lack of education on the subject.) I guess the type depends on the operating system of the computer and whether or not it has accessible USB ports, and probably other stuff I don't know about. Are you familiar with these sticks and do you know of one that will work at any of the internet cafe's? Thanks again for all your help!:D --Kaye

Thank you for all the info! Can you tell me if any of the internet cafe's have USB ports? I want to buy a flash memory stick, but have found that there are different types. USB2.0 and U3 USB2.0. (Sorry about my lack of education on the subject.) I guess the type depends on the operating system of the computer and whether or not it has accessible USB ports, and probably other stuff I don't know about. Are you familiar with these sticks and do you know of one that will work at any of the internet cafe's? Thanks again for all your help!:D --Kaye

USB ports on public computers are disabled for obvious reasons.

Generally speaking, computers in a cruise ship's internet cafe will not provide access to the drives or ports. You will only be able to access the keyboard, monitor and printer. The computers are set up this way in order to protect them from the introduction of viruses and/or someone tampering with the system. This means that you will not be allowed to copy your memory card's files to the computer's hard drive, which means you won't be able to transfer them to a flash memory stick (e.g., thumb drive) since you won't have access to any of the USB ports.

My advice is to either purchase more SmartMedia cards or buy a portable photo storage device. I just checked eBay and you can get a 64MB SmartMedia card there for about $60 (definitely expensive considering what other memory cards are going for nowadays). Or you can check out the following device that I bought from Dell a few months ago. It's a portable storage device that has a 40GB capacity and can copy a variety of memory cards onto its hard drive.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=A0650364

Yup! SmartMedia. I want to buy a USB flash memory stick, but don't know if these can be used at any of the internet cafe's. Let me know if you know. thanks--Kaye

SmartMedia ... ouch. Adorama has a 128MB card for ~$70 with shipping. I've never ordered from them but they have 5 stars on pricegrabber with 2,000+ reviews. http://www.adorama.com/IOM128MBSC.html

How many Megapixel is this old camera?

Personally, for the prices they're charging for cards for your old camera, I'd venture an opinion that it's time to upgrade to something that takes a secure digital (SD) card. SD cards are cheap (2GB for like $15) and 5 Megapixel point and shoot cameras are very reasonable these days.

The Finepix4700 is only 2.4 megapixel, it's technology is a few years out of date, and as you have found out it's memory cards are essentially obsolete.

I would definately recommend getting a new camera that accepts SD cards.

I'm not sure what your budget would be but here is a good 6 megapixel camera at dell for $341.95 (-10% if you get a dell coupon in the mail or buy one on ebay), I like this one as it has a 12x optical zoom with image stabilization:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A0620511

If that is too much there is the 5 megapixel version for $255:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A0479486

If you want a really small camera you can carry anywhere look at the SD600 for $210 (or any of the more expensive Canon SD cameras):

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A0620516

A 4700? Wow ... you don't know what you're missing. No offense since I'm the type to drive a car until it's wheels fall off, but I think your camera has lived it's life. You've gotten your money's worth.

There's a few 5MP point and shoots under $200. The Canon A530 is 5MP with 4x optical zoom for $140 including shipping.

Check out http://www.imaging-resource.com and http://www.steves-digicams.com for some independent reviews and recommendations. imaging-resource.com even has a check prices option ... look for Dave's Picks on the left side menu ... and remember, SD cards are the least expensive probably followed by CompactFlash. Stay away from a camera that uses xD cards (fuji maybe?) or memory stick (sony), they are the most expensive types of memory cards.

We seem to be pretty good at spending your money, but I think we all pretty much agree that you probably won't be able to burn a CD or insert a jump-drive into the USB on an internet cafe or rental laptop.

The USB ports are enabled on the Internet Cafe Manager's machine, and usually, they can help you move them, if they are decent. The lady running it in December on the Sun seemed nice, and would probably do it. Otherwise, find a nerd like me, and buy minutes from them and transfer them using their laptop. I've helped plenty of people over the years on the ships, and never charged them anything.

As far as the onshore internet cafe's, I have yet to find one that won't let you use a USB flash drive.

Hope this helps.

Tom

All the onshore internet cafe's will let you use USB. I have yet to have one limit me. However, there is a first time for everything.

The Internet Cafe Manager's computer on the ship can access USB flash drives, and if they are cooperative, they'll help you move stuff. I've seen people have limited success with this.

Otherwise, find a geek with a laptop, and pay for his / her minutes. I've done this before for people.

However, unless you pay my way, I won't be on the Sun with you so good luck spotting a nerd.

Have fun.

Tom

:) You have made me very happy!! Thank you so much! My son is a software engineer for Texas Instruments, but he left for college at 16 and I never learned much about computers before or since, AND he lives in Dallas, Texas, while I'm still in Michigan. He's never been on a cruise, so he couldn't help me much beyond recommending a flash memory stick. Google Zbiciak and you will find him. Who knows, you may have common interests.:) Thanks again!!--Kaye

Memory cards are getting really cheap now. I bought a 1gb on sale the other day at Officexxx for $29 A GIG!

Not sure if moving from the camera to a USB flashcard make alot of sense. Just buy cheap memory cards.

If you do not have your laptop with you, just wait until you get home.

As far as uploading your pics to your internet space, you surely will NOT be doing that on the ship. It would cost major money between the air time and slow connection. And I doubt you want to drag a notebook ashore.

As to 2.4pixel being old. Not really. Okay, it is old with 5-6 and more megaixel out there. I have a 5mp camera but do not always shoot with that due to the file size. Not sure? Take your camera and shoot at each resolution level, then display and print them. Can you really tell the difference?

Can anyone tell me if there are hotspots in the cabins on the Sun?

I read it on their site, but don't want to reply on it.

I'm sailing on 2-4, and planning to bring my laptop.

On two occasions, on the Sun, I have had wireless in my room, IF I blocked the room door open. In both cases, my room was near the Atrium. I remember one room number was 7305, as the cruise was an 18 day cruise. I don't remember the other room number, as it was a 7 day.

My room steward gave me a door jam, and I would just block my room open ever day when I wanted to use the internet.

I always check this when I get on a ship, if my room is close to the atrium, library or internet cafe.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Hello

I've dealt with the same issues...saving images on vacation without lugging the laptop around. There is other options for storing pictures that you may have not thought of such as using an ipod. Here is a link to a page discussing some other options.

http://cameras.about.com/od/printing/tp/photostorage.htm

Hope this helps...

In case you decide to use the onboard photoshop to burn your photos to DVD or CD from the camera card, be very careful. I just returned from the Star to open my DVD and find a virus (worm) burned on the DVD with the photos...

Any more details? What scanner was used to pick this up?

Any folders on the DVD with the word "shared" in them?

Archived