Do many cruise ships . . . .

kimberlys

actually dock in Cancun??? Do the majority of tourists actually stay in Cancun as opposed to Cozumel where a lot of the cruise ships dock.

It doesn't seem like this board is too active . . . I was looking for some fun things to do. We might try the Jeep Jungle Adventure.

i'm not exactly sure what you are asking, so my reply here might not be what you were looking for.

Do more tourist stay in Cancun over Cozumel? Well, most likely. Cozumel draws more of the folks that like to Dive & snorkel, where Cancun seems to draw everyone else including those that never set foot outside their resort. :cool:

Are you looking for things to do while you are staying in Cancun or while you've got a few hours in port?

sorry, if i wasn't too clear in my original post. I have been to Cozumel before on a cruise and now i'm going to Cancun for 5 days with my daughter in February. It doesn't seem like as many people visit the Cancun message boards. I usually come here for some great vacation tips before any of my trips because the Cruise Critic Message boards are the best! I was looking for some fun and interesting ideas for Cancun.

I think we are going to do the "Jeep Jungle Adventure."

if you mean Joes Jeep Adventure, I've head mostly good reviews about it, though we've not taken it ourselves (poured the day we were going to). Occasionally I read a mixed review about it and it seems to be best if you book directly though their website rather than through tour companies.

some other things you might like: a day trip to isla mujeres rent a golf cart to see the island & go snorkeling at El Garrafon, a trip to Chichen Itza or Coba, Pirate Cruise, an evening at Coco Bongos (depends on how old your daughter is!), a trip to isla contoy.

We have been going to Cancun for 8 years, sometimes 2 times a year, and I can think of no cruise ships that have ever docked in Cancun.

If you have any specific Cancun questions, ask. I will be glad to help.

Michelle

You can get to Isla Mujeres by ferry boat -- it's not far, 1/2 hour or so away. Beautiful island with very narrow streets, just right for a golf cart venture, but walking the streets is the best way to take in all the area has to offer in the shopping district.

Have always said if DH & I ever decide to take an all inclusive it will be to that island.

Have a great time on your vacation.

By the way, one of the reasons the Cancun board has not been as active as a couple of years ago is probably because of the hurricane damage there. Cancun did not get up and going to accept ships again as quickly as Cozumel.

Dianne

Thanks for all the great tips!:) I think my daughter and I will take a ferry over to Isla Mujeres and check that out. . . . it sounds like fun! Does anyone have a good recommendation for a nice place to eat in Cancun for dinner? My daughter likes steak (nothing too exotic for her)!

several good places to get a steak in Cancun. Two of our favorites at different ends of the price spectrum are Puerto Madero and Viva la Vacca. PM has a lovely lagoon view while VLV has open table seating on a sidewalk and is very casual. Puerto madero is across from le Meridian and Viva la Vacca is near TGI Fridays in the "party zone" across from a store called La Fiesta.

there's also Rio Churrascaria, a brazilian steakhouse or Cambalache an argentinian steakhouse. There's also a Ruth's Chris ... but we try not to go to places we can go to at home. :)

To be honest, we haven't had a bad meal yet in Cancun ... we tend to just walk around and let our noses be our guides.

• 4 weeks later...

"You can get to Isla Mujeres by ferry boat -- it's not far, 1/2 hour or so away. Beautiful island with very narrow streets, just right for a golf cart venture, but walking the streets is the best way to take in all the area has to offer in the shopping district."

Where is the ferry boat located to get to Isla Mujeres?:)

Where is the ferry boat located to get to Isla Mujeres?:)

There are a couple different options for getting to Isla Mujeres. In the hotel zone I believe there are three piers that have ferry boats going over the island. (Near fat Tuesday, near the convention center, and the embarcadero). So …

Hotel Zone Option

This is our most recent experience, and I’ll start by saying I went for total ease vs. saving a few pesos. We caught a ferry at the Embarcadero, there’s a folk art shot and museum there that I wanted to check out when we got back. They have two morning departures and two evening returns. Cost is about $9 one way, or $15 round trip per person. While on the ferry we booked a golf cart for the day ($45 and be sure you have your driver’s license). When we docked, we were placed in a taxi and off to pick up our golf cart. 5 minutes later we were touring the island. The return trips are at 3:30 and 5:30pm. If you want to stay later, then use the Puerto Juarez option.

Puerto Juarez Option:

Hop on the bus labeled R-1 Pto Juarez (6.5 pesos). The pier is the last stop, but you can also tell your driver where you are going. There’s two different ferry services there, cost is about $3.50 (35 pesos), frequency every half hour and these run late into the evening (11pm I think). When you dock on the island, there are usually some folks hanging out by the pier offering to rent you a golf cart. Price is pretty much the same, at about $40.

We found the Isla Mujeres map from cancunmap.com VERY informational. Lots of good information on getting there, navigating the island, places to eat, relax, etc.

The ferry at Fat Tuesday's is no longer running. As a matter of fact, Fat Tuesday's looks like a war zone; completely destroyed from the hurricane. Puerta Juarez is the one we used. Isla WELL woth a trip. Go early and stay late. Allow several hours to rent a golf cart, explore, eat a nice lunch, etc.

• 1 year later...
Thank you BSQ for the great tips~ We leave tomorrow!:)

Was wondering how your adventure in Cancun went ?

We are going there in a few weeks too

spending 7 days .

Getting excited now .

I had been there in 2002

but my kids have never been there yet

this will be there first time :)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived