Very odd communication from Guest Relations

judy&steve

We received a letter form Cunard Guest Relations today acknowledging a letter they received from us about our November 25 cruise. In it, they apologized profusely about a particular spa employee. They forwarded our letter to Canyon Ranch. Well, this would have been a spectacular response to our letter -- had we written one. I called Cunard and they told me they were in possession of a letter signed by us, dated on a certain day and mentioned our cabin and booking number. I am mortified because we never had anything other than a positive experience on this ship. I would remember if I had complained. I just went back to read the review I posted and saw that I had a slight breakout from a facial treatment. I never complained to Cunard about it. It is very perplexing. They are faxing me a copy of "our" letter.

The funny thing is if we had written a letter, I would have used our given names and not our nicknames. We both use nicknames and that's how the letter was addressed. Very strange.

--Judy

That sounds a bit ominous to me and also very weird.

You know there are some strange people out there, maybe someone sent a letter to Cunard "impersonating" you. Why they would want to do that, I have no idea, some crazy with a beef with Cunard and nothing better to do than complain? I really can't imagine. Obviously with your reviews and other posts here it wouldnt be hard to do if someone wanted to. I can't imaging why anyone would want to, but as I said there are some strange people out there!

I'd be interested to hear what you can glean when you see the letter.

I must say I would be extremely upset and angry, if not a bit perturbed, if someone did this to me!

Cheers

Timmi

Judy and Steve...who had your booking number? That's not something anyone could get just from postings on CC. Granted some of us mention cabin numbers, especially in ROll Calls, but to get the booking number requires some inside info...or a family member or friend you gave it to. COuld one of them have thought they were "helping" you out because of your problem with the breakout? Anyone you gave the onboard email address to as that contains the booking number? It would have to be someone who knew this kind of info, not just what they can get from our postings.

Cheers, Penny

That is downright scary!

Of course, juxtaposition that with how many people have mentioned complaining and not getting a response, or not getting a quick response or getting one which was less than adequate (in their opnion)

Still, the thought that someone might, for any reason, even a supposed "good" one, take what you have said on here and twist it into something you did not mean, not to mention, report this to Cunard with out your knowledge or permission is scary as all hell. I hope they kept the envelope with the postmark. Hmm, Wonder if it could have been another employee of the Spa company? Stranger things have happened. If they wanted to get back at someone, posting a letter to Cunard ostensibly from a passenger...

I always try to assume the best of people, and to try to assign good motives, but I admit, it is a bit hard to spin this one.

Karie,

who even when writing a letter including complaints, find some way to compliment and see their side of things.

It will be interesting to see if the complainer had your booking number. It is possible that Cunard gave it to you since they have it and might have used it to verify you were on the cruise. And they just repeated it to you. Strange. Do let us know how this mystery ends.

Susan

Steve and I both figured out the Cruise Critic connection. But -- nobody would have known our booking number. I suppose by knowing our cabin number and sailing date Cunard just looked up our booking. It is just so crazy. I believe there was an issue with a Canyon Ranch employee on our cruise. From the information I got from Cunard, it had something to do with this guy trying to push a "business opportunity" to passengers. It didn't happen to us. And, nobody on the ship knew our names, except the couple at our table.

Cunard gave us Canyon Ranch's phone and address,so I decided to call them. I was connected to Las Vegas rather than Arizona, but the person who answered the phone was aware of a problem on that sailing. This is just getting crazier. She asked us to fax them the letter that we allegedly sent Cunard when we get it tomorrow. (My home fax machine can't receive; it only sends so I have to use the office fax to receive)

I'm just wondering if this is some elaborate hoax. It's plenty scary.

--Judy

Judy and Steve...who had your booking number? That's not something anyone could get just from postings on CC.

Who knew your address? That they wrote to you is unusual only in that someone had your address - not that they wrote to you as you "wrote" to them.

Hi, The other thought I've had is that Cunard wrote you a letter (not an e-mail?) Did they look up your home address from your booking or was it included in the letter you supposedly wrote to them?

Hope you get this sorted quickly.

It was a letter on Cunard letterhead. Very official and hand-signed. They had all of the information re: our booking, but not using our "official" names makes me rather suspicious. I'm going to work in a little while and I'll see the letter Cunard says we sent and get a little more insight.

--Judy

It was a letter on Cunard letterhead. Very official and hand-signed. They had all of the information re: our booking, but not using our "official" names makes me rather suspicious. I'm going to work in a little while and I'll see the letter Cunard says we sent and get a little more insight.--Judy

One thought, did you mention the problem with the spa treatment on your end of cruise "comments" form? Could it be someone inisde the organisation has transferred these notes to a letter and sent it on to the Customer Services/Relations department?

Mystery solved.

Cunard faxed me the letter "we" sent them. Someone cut and pasted pieces of our cruise critic review and inserted their own complaint. I immediately contacted Cunard to let them know that we did not send such a letter. I told them about publishing the review on Cruise Critic. They said they will let Canyon Ranch know that it was a hoax.

However, I am very upset about the Cruise Critic connection. It's a shame that something so upbeat as our review could have led to the downfall of an innocent spa employee.

--Judy

Why on earth would someone do that? It is not like they will gain from it (unless they have a personal vendetta against the spa person). I wonder if something like this has happened to anyone else?

Some people need help.......

Mystery solved.--Judy

Is it?

Did "the letter" contain your booking ref or your home address? If not we can asume that Cunard looked them up. If it did, where did the sender get them?

My question is: if "the letter" only used nicknames and not your real names, had no booking ref and no address how did Cunard tie it to you?:confused:

Regards, Colin.

Is it?

Did "the letter" contain your booking ref or your home address? If not we can asume that Cunard looked them up. If it did, where did the sender get them?

My question is: if "the letter" only used nicknames and not your real names, had no booking ref and no address how did Cunard tie it to you?:confused:

Regards, Colin.

The CC review had our cabin number in it as well as the date of sailing.

The letter Cunard faxed me had our personal information handwritten on it. Obviously they took it seriously enough to go to the trouble of looking us up.

If I received a letter with no address or surname, I would be suspicious. I suppose they receive so many letters, it's not unusual to receive letters in such a form.

--Judy

The CC review had our cabin number in it as well as the date of sailing.

The letter Cunard faxed me had our personal information handwritten on it. Obviously they took it seriously enough to go to the trouble of looking us up.

Judy - your investigations make sense. It just seems a pity that Cunard Customer Relations either do so little that they appear useless or, as in your case, they take a harmless review and go into overkill! Still it's nice to know that Cunard are taking in interest in what's posted here:)

Judy - your investigations make sense. It just seems a pity that Cunard Customer Relations either do so little that they appear useless or, as in your case, they take a harmless review and go into overkill! Still it's nice to know that Cunard are taking in interest in what's posted here:)

It was a harmless review to which our "perp" added a few harmful lines about an employee. I would never complain about anybody by name in a public forum. I have asked Cruise Critic to take down the review.

The funny thing is if we had written a letter, I would have used our given names and not our nicknames. We both use nicknames and that's how the letter was addressed. Very strange.

Could your TA have sent it ... thinking she was doing you a favor? Does she hang out on these boards?

I can't imagine anyone on these boards could have sent in the letter ... not if your booking number was provided in it. How would they get that? I doubt you would have posted your booking number. So, the letter almost has to have come from your TA ... since she would have easy access to your booking number. Maybe she copied your post from this board mentioning the break-out, and sent it to Cunard ... thinking she was doing you a favor.

That's the only explanation I can come up with. I would talk with her.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Could your TA have sent it ... thinking she was doing you a favor? Does she hang out on these boards?

I can't imagine anyone on these boards could have sent in the letter ... not if your booking number was provided in it. How would they get that? I doubt you would have posted your booking number. So, the letter almost has to have come from your TA ... since she would have easy access to your booking number. Maybe she copied your post from this board mentioning the break-out, and sent it to Cunard ... thinking she was doing you a favor.

That's the only explanation I can come up with. I would talk with her.

Blue skies ...

--rita

No, our TA wouldn't have done anything like that. And, if she had, she would have used our full names. The booking number was not on the original letter. Cunard got the booking number and our given names by looking up the sailing date and the cabin number, which was part of the letter. No mention of the "breakout" just a scathing complaint about a spa employee (not in our words.)

Going back to look at our review, it was very long. The person who sent the letter used the first couple of paragraphs and the spa paragraph. They omitted the part about my skin and added a comment right before our remark about the no sales pitch sentence.

A cruise critic review or post is not the place to complain about a crew member by name. We are supposedly a group of anonymous people who share a passion for vacationing on the sea. The moderators of these boards would never had allowed such comments to appear in a review.

Cruise Critic has taken down the review at our request.

--Judy

Archived