Children On Oceania?

californiacruiseluvrs

In our 3 cruises we saw ONE child around 10 who was the daughter of one or the entertainers. She was on board about 4 nights.

There are a lot of child-phobic passengers on O because they know (hope)their cruises will be child free.

That said, I do not believe anyone would mind 2 well-behaved children on board. The question remains, will they be happy alone?:confused:

We were on Nautica's Istanbul to Singapore trip, last Nov/Dec., and there were two or three teen girls aboard (and they were very well behaved).

They seemed to be enjoying the trip - but there was nothing organized for them that I know of - I should think that they were somewhat bored, but I may very well be in error.

We have been on 2 Med Oceania Cruises and there were several children on board each. They seemed to be enjoying themselves but as already stated there is only the one Pool and little else to entertain them.

We are certainly not child-phobic and never met any other passengers who made any remarks about the children.

Brian

Agreed -- on our one Oceania trip a little over a year ago, my partner and I (24 and 23 at the time) were actually the youngest passengers onboard. There was not a single soul under the age of 18.

That said, if the children can easily entertain themselves with a book or game of chess, etc., they should be fine.

But -- remembering what I needed to be entertained at that age, I don't think I would be too happy if my parents stuck my on an Oceania ship for over a week.

Fortunately, now I love being in the quiet, upscale atmosphere that O offers guests.

there were two seven year girls and two teenage boys on the Regatta (1/2-1/12) They appeared to be having a good time. This was a Caribbean cruise and definitely appealed to younger people. There was a nice group of 30 somethings on board.

I spoke with a travel agent/Oceania regular and was told that this was atypical of Oceania. She said that the crowd is usually much older.

I have two kids six and nineteen and wouldn't be tempted to take them on Oceania. For the money, kids would prefer a less expensive line with more activities and kids their own age- IMO. Having said that, if you are doing a family vacation with lots of relatives, shore excursions, etc., then kids wouldn't get bored on Oceania.

On our 11/15 cruise on Nautica, we had 1 young girl (8 or so) who was having a ball BUT she was also being treated like a princess by her family. Otherwise we had an adorable baby, who really didn't mind being aboard! Some of the passengers were less than thrilled about either tho! If you are in the Carib. I suppose you'd have enough shore time to satisfy them, Otherwise a(Slap my mouth) Carnival type cruise would be more the thing. My sister was Babysitting her grandson (About7) on one and they had tons of fun...(not MY cup of tea)! Kids don't appreciate the excellent food of "O" (Pizza 24hrs a day was his favorite thing on board) even my granddaughter who went at 16 was happier with the pizza, but she's a typical "mac & cheese" and pizzaholic teen. (Oh and the ice-cream)

Our son is 14 and wants to go on a cruise. So far we've only been on Oceania (x2) and he would be bored stiff. We have thought about an intensive cruise in the Med or Greece which he would enjoy. And he does like good food, so that wouldn't be a problem.

Last year we had booked an RCI cruise for March Break but then we had an opportunity to get him a membership at the golf course just up the street so we let him choose. He chose the golf, but of course still wants a cruise! I think he would have the most fun on a ship with basketball, rock climbing and a teen lounge where 'rents aren't allowed!

Mo

My favorite cruise line so far is Celebrity. I think the food is very good (not as good as Oceania) and it is a relaxed atmosphere like Oceania- except there are plenty of things for kids and teens to do on board. There isn't a huge amount of kids- just enough so that the kids and teens meet a nice group their own age.

I have done Carnival and felt the kids program was overcrowded. I felt the same way about Norwegian. I haven't sailed Royal Caribbean in years but am giving that a try in April.

So for now, I think Oceania cruisers traveling with kids might like Celebrity.

Very similar products in my view- but with more onboard activities.

Archived