Grand Princess Review

karen2cruz

Thank you Karen, it was great meeting you as well. It would be fun to meet again someday on a ship. I sure hope it would be one with easier trivia questions, how about you? :-) I also like one more sea day. This was a pretty busy cruise. Did anyone end up getting together on the final sea day?

Thanks for a great review. We are sailing on the GP in 28 days. Can hardly wait!!!!

Just a few questions, though, if you don't mind.....

What night was lobster night?

I also heard there is a crab night, or at least they serve crab one night. Do you recall which night this was?

Don't want to miss out on lobster and crab when dining in Sabatinis....and sorry to hear about the steakhouse being not that great. Was looking forward to that too, but since they have steak on menu everynight in the dining rooms, maybe we'll just pass on the steak house.

Thanks for a great review. We are sailing on the GP in 28 days. Can hardly wait!!!!

Just a few questions, though, if you don't mind.....

What night was lobster night?

On our December 16 cruise, lobster night was the second formal night, Wednesday (Belize.)

Boy, I wish I had written it down. I just remember the lobster night came first and the Alaskan crab came towards the end of the cruise-yum. HUGE plate of crab legs. Our waiter brought us out an extra plate of them too, without asking, to share at our table.

The creme brulee this time was really different in the dining room. It had pineapple in it. But my husband, who loves creme brulee, loved this version.

Karen, I really like Princess' creme brulee too. That is why I wanted to make sure we didn't do the alternative dining the night it is served, since it is only served once in the dining room. The steakhouse has a nice creme brulee, so if I schedule it correctly, I can get it twice. Yummmmy!!:p

• 2 weeks later...

Just a comment to the feeling safe in Belize. My son met his wife on a mission trip in Belize a few years ago. They both and felt the people were warm and welcoming. It is a jungle and very much third-world, but they loved the people. They loved it so much that is where they honeymooned. We journeyed there as part of a cruise about a year later and had a wonderful day. I would go back in a heartbeat - and will be in April!

My husband and I were also on that cruise, but didn't realize it was a "members' cruise". We are Diamond Members of RCCL, cruised twice on Carnival, and once on NCL. I think people like what they are used to. I was disapointed with the Grand. We booked this because we were late, and my husband wants a large balcony. I'm used to the newer ships, and I think there is a difference not only in the appearance, but in the staff onboard. I think the better staff go to the new ships. I liked the idea of anytime dining, but I think service was compromised. I loved the "Movies Under The Stars", but I missed the music poolside during the day. The ship was extremely dificult to navigate, very confusing, even at the end of the cruise. The ship's appearance was a bit plain, I know what understated elegance is...that's why when I go to Vegas, I go to Casears, to me that's understated elegance. When I came home, that very day I booked a GS on Liberty of the Seas. I will remain loyal to Royal.

Hello Karen and the rest of you "Grand Standers"...

I'm sorry I haven't been on here much but have been busy with stuff at work and home...OK, Some might say procrastination. Oh well. I am still working on my review of our Grand cruise but haven't finished it yet. I'll get something soon, but hey...It was a Grand Cruise and Nancy and I really had a fantastic time. It was great to meet all you guys and just wish we could have got together the last sea day. Due to the Wheel House being closed, we moved up to the Neptune pool. A few of us was there but we missed everyone else.

Anyway, I have posted some of the pictures from the cruise on my Webshot account. Click on the link below and go to the Grand Princess album. There's a lot of pictures there but bear with me as I filter some of them out.

I almost went to San Francisco the other day with some rope so I could lower myself onto the Queen Mary 2 as she went under the Golden Gate Bridge towards Hawaii...I think I might have made it...

Till the next time. I'm thinking of a cruise to the southern Caribbean next January on the Emerald. 10 days I think...That'll give you 4 sea days.

Brian.

Thank you so much for sharing your album Tigger, we leave in 2 days!!! Mass pandemonium trying to pack for 3 kids and hubby but we are ready. Like I tell my daughter, if we forget it...Visa will be there!!! Have a great day....

We were on the cruise with Karen. We were her dining buddies. There is not much more to add about the ship. We did 3 snorkel trips and enjoyed them all. On Belize we did the Sting Ray snorkel. They picked us up on the ship since we were tendered and brought us back to the Grand 4 hours later. That trip was great. Cozemel has a lot of damage from the hurricane and the water was much deeper than in Beleze but we saw a lot of fish and enjoyed the trip. We walked around the tourist area after and felt safe there. Thet cancelled our trip in Costa Maya and didn't tell us until after we went to the meeting location. That was annoying because at that point we could not get on to another trip.

The trip was fun but went by too quickly as all vacations do.

Enjoy! We did.

Was your cancelled trip in Costa Maya a ship excursion or a local vendor (who?). We'll be going in 51 days(!) on this same itinerary. Doing the Belize sting ray tour, too. Can't wait!

Dolphinmar:

Last year my family went to Belize on the Grand Princess. We booked a snorkel trip through Grumpy and Happy and it was terrific. They made arrangements for us to fly to San Pedro (about a 15 minute flight) and met us at the airstrip. We had a private snorkel charter with them which lasted about 3 hours. Couldn't have been better. Unfortunately this year the Grand isn't in Belize long enough (The Spring Break Cruise only) for us to repeat this trip, which I was really looking foward to!!!! Their website is http://*******************. If you book with them, tell them the Spears said HI!!!

Hi Karen,

This is my first time posting here because my wife and I will be taking our first cruise ever for our honeymoon! Thanks for your review, it's put my mind finally at ease...I've been hearing so many negative things about the Grand Princess (the ship's list and sewage smell) but after sifting thru so many reviews, I figured you really can't please everybody. (BTW, the other choice was the Explorer of the Seas on RCCL but we decided to stick with Princess.) We come from the Philippines ("perceived dangerous 3rd World countries" do not really affect us heheheh) so our expectations for scuba diving are quite high. I noticed that you mentioned DH(?) liking all the dives. Did DH book the dive excursions thru Princess or independent dive operators? I noticed that the Princess diving excursions are overpriced and seem to dive the mediocre sites. Any suggestions or tips on shore excursions will greatly be appreciated! Our trip is on April and I'd like to start planning the excursions while waiting for our travel agent to finalize our booking. Belize and Roatan are the ones that we our most excited about. Thanks very much!

Archived