Heating Pads

jeangeorges

I will be a first time cruisers May 5th to ALaska.... I ALWAYS travel with an ice bag and a heating pad.. I have deginerative disk disease, and a few other back related problems. I just read that heating pads are not allowed. A heating pad for me is NOT a luxury it is a necessity. Now what do I do??

I will be a first time cruisers May 5th to ALaska.... I ALWAYS travel with an ice bag and a heating pad.. I have deginerative disk disease, and a few other back related problems. I just read that heating pads are not allowed. A heating pad for me is NOT a luxury it is a necessity. Now what do I do??

Have you considered using one of those rubber bags to which you can add hot (or cold) water and use one of those instead? You can always call room service for some hot water or get it from the faucet.

Hot_Water_Bag.jpg

What cruiseline are you traveling? You might want to call special needs for that cruiseline and see if it can be arranged for you to use it. Usually the limitations on things like that though are due to the pull on the electrical wiring and they are considered fire hazards.

Have you tried those Thermacare pads? I've heard they work very well.

Like you, I have a degenerative spinal disorder and it was hard for me to leave the heating pad behind, but I swear by the Thermapads. You can take them on tour, you can sleep with them. They last about eight hours and don't take up that much space in your suitcase - in fact, I ended up handing a few out to a woman who threw her back out while on a land tour. She loved them. Of course, they are really only practical if you have a lower back problem, although you could adjust them for other areas, just might not be quite as comfortable.

Do give them a try and I think you will like them as well. It's great to have the heat and not be tethered to something.

You might also want to check out a product called Biofreeze - it's usually available at a hospital pharmacy or through your physical therapist. It was the only product that really worked for me prior to and just after surgery. gotta say it also takes the stink out of a sunburn, but it's a little expensive for that!

Hope this has helped a little.

(the other) Charlie

Charlie

Thanks for the suggestions. I did think of the therma wrap. I just have a bigger area to cover than a size 10. I do use them when I fly & find they do ok...

I had forgotten about the hot water bottles...

If a heating pad uses the ships current, then why are there refrigerators and micro waves in some rooms?

If a microwave can be in the room then I can use those microwaved rice packs. 'Course, if I can use the micro wave then I could use the heating pad;)

When I fly, I now have to have an updated doctors note to use the gel cold pac that I take on board and it has to state a "medical necessity" maybe I need to go that route.

WHatever, I will be going to alaska even if I have to smell like ben-gay. JUST KIDDING (my husband would not be anywhere around me)LOL:p

What cruise line are you traveling on? Most of the ones I know of don't have microwaves in the cabins or even microwaves for passenger use. You might want to talk to you TA or the cruiseline direct regarding this, as many cruiselines won't permit heating pads on board, even with a doctor's note. Better to find out now than getting busted at the pier.

Charlie

I am crusing on Golden Princess. I thought I had read that some of the suites on ship have microwaves and refrigerators.

I have asked Princess to look into the heating pad problem and see what if anything can be done.

You are absolutly correct, I would rather find out now than at the boarding. WOrse comes to worse I will be traveling with a LOT of Thermacare pads & duct tape:p . LOL

I think that you'll find that even the high end suites don't have microwaves - none of ours has and we get an Owners Suite when we sail on Princess. They also have a tiny little refrigerator, so that might be an issue for you as well if you need lare amounts of ice. I'm sure you can arrange something with your steward though for ice.

Hope that you have a good cruise and enjoy Princess. She's our favorite line and the one we took to Alaska.

Charlie

I just found out from Princess that I can bring the heating pad (as long as I unplug it when not in use) with documentation from doctor.

YIPEE:p

SO the heating pad is taken care of ... now what about flat irons, hot rollers, electric shavers

Owner's Suite? Can I book it? Is it a better view?

smell like ben-gay. LOL:p

Glad to hear your problem is resolved for the cruise.

If you should have to resort to a rub on treatment at another time, buy ASPERCREME, not smelly BenGay. No odor whatsoever in Aspercreme. I use it quite often.

I also use Thermacare patches, large and small for different areas of my back. I use them when driving a certain 3 hr. drive I have each week, and then use the Aspercreme at home. Works for me!:)

Electric shavers can be used in the bathroom outlet. It's made for that and nothing more. I don't know what a flat iron is. I've neither read or heard anything about not using hot rollers. I didn't even know they still made them.:rolleyes:

This is taken directly from the Princess website:

Carrier has the right to prohibit items from being brought on board that may pose a safety hazard. These include but are not limited to utensils, tools and certain types of sporting equipment that may be used as a weapon, firearms, flammable substances (except for limited quantities of personal care toiletries), explosives, irons, heating devices, candles, certain types of recreational wheeled transportation devices or any other item that Security personnel may identify as a potential threat to safety.

http://www.princess.com/legal/passage.html

I hope it's ok that I copy and pasted, I just thought it would be better than paraphrasing.

This is taken directly from the Princess website:

Carrier has the right to prohibit items from being brought on board that may pose a safety hazard. These include but are not limited to utensils, tools and certain types of sporting equipment that may be used as a weapon, firearms, flammable substances (except for limited quantities of personal care toiletries), explosives, irons, heating devices, candles, certain types of recreational wheeled transportation devices or any other item that Security personnel may identify as a potential threat to safety.

http://www.princess.com/legal/passage.html

I hope it's ok that I copy and pasted, I just thought it would be better than paraphrasing.

Thanks for the information...It sounds (or reads) like it is up to the person checking you through that has the discretion(sp) to either allow or not certain items.

I will certainly have documentation for all medically needed items before I board. If they take the heating pad I'll just make certain I have some sort of backup.

If they take the flat iron away...look for the lady with "BIG" hair. Maybe the spa will give me a frequent hair deal. :p

I am going to quit fretting about this and start fretting over something else!!

If you mean the Thermacare pads - you can get them at some grocery stores, most if not all drug stores, and online. I usually buy mine from www.drugstore.com

Having said that - I'm not sure if you can wear them ON the plane anymore with all the new rules. Generally speaking I pack mine, in their original boxes, in my checked luggage. And pretty much just about every single time I do - I get my luggage searched. There's nothing illegal about putting them in checked luggage but I imagine those little "metal" dots come up looking pretty funny on the x-ray machines. I've taken them on 4 international flights, and 2 domestic flights in the past few years. I got searched on 3 of the 4 international flights (bag noticably opened etc), and 1 of the 2 domestic flights. They did not search my luggage on the way home from Disney World - good thing too, the bag might have exploded if they opened it.

The first time they searched my luggage they ripped the liner out looking for stuff, and since then every single time that bag has been opened to be searched - they rip the liner out. On our next cruise its taking us 3 flights there and 2 home and I already decided I am NOT taking that bag.

My advice if you decide to take some. Only put 1 in your carry on luggage - if you have to lose it well fine. And pack everything in your suitcase in those nice zippered plastic baggies because it will be opened. On the plus side, they do work wonderfully so its worth the hassle.

Thanks Skye...There's never a silver lining. I appreciate the advice. I hate when my bag has been rummaged through by unknown hands! We are going on an overnight to Rome this summer and I mainly want a thermal pad for the flight over. I'll put it in my carry on and skip one for the suitcase.

That's odd, my reply didn't post. Still, Skye gave you sound advice. I usually pick them up at a Long's.

Took them on the plane last summer with no problems, either domestic or International. I must be lucky becaues I've only had one bag searched once since 9/11 and I wouldn't have even known it if it hadn't been for the letter they leave inside.

have a good flight!

Charlie

.... I'm not sure if you can wear them ON the plane anymore with all the new rules. .

Of course you can wear them on a plane. What kind of threat could that be construed as?

I flew to L.A. twice this past year, and being long direct flights, I needed something for my back. Wore the largest ones Thermacare makes.

Just wondering why you would think you couldn't wear a medicated pan for pain?:rolleyes:

I'm not talking about the medicated ones. I'm talking about the ones that contain the iron or whatever the heck it inside them that generate heat and actually get quite hot to the touch. Considering as it stands you can have your lipgloss or hand lotion confiscated if the tube is over 3.4 oz in size, even if its in the 1 quart plastic baggie they let you take via carry on luggage filled with liquids... I wouldn't bet money that you can take them. So my advice still is take only 1 in your carry-on luggage to minimize the $ lost if taken. I'd also further advice that you not wear it - that you keep it in its original packaging until through the security check at the departing airport. I'm betting it looks far more suspicious as a pattern of dots on your skin then inside its sealed package. And I'd keep the packaging until I got out of the arrival airport. But thats just me, being cautious.

In the past 10 years I've either had, or people in my immediate traveling party have had the following either confiscated or forced into checked luggage by TSA or other security agents in various airports (domestic and international) with little or no explaination. And I know I'm forgetting some items so this is a partial list. We always comply, without arguement because it is just easier. Except my dad, he argues and we've nearly had to leave him behind in other countries because of it (shrug).

Pre 9/11

hand lotion - small bottle, label not in english

open water bottle

disposable lighter

cigarettes

swiss army knife where no blade was over 2 inches long

keychain with corkscrew

Post 9/11

Tweezers

Fingernail scissors

my eyeglass repair kit

water bottles - unopened and opened

matches

that same keychain again

metal chain that goes from wallet to belt loop

Some of that stuff was expected like the oops, forgot I can't have my fingernail scissors with my makeup type thing. Some I've never really figured out why it was taken or made to be checked. The most interesting for me was the eyeglass repair kit - not because it was seized, it did have a teeny, tiny screwdriver in it after all. But because of when it was seized. We left the us via PHL and flew to Toronto, there our flight got canceled and we had to fly to Heathrow and then Glasgow instead of going directly. (If you want some "fun" try getting through Heathrow with no luggage (because they lost it), unscheduled, and while trying to immediately leave the country because you've got less then 2 hours to make your flight to Glasgow....) On the way home we flew again from Glasgow to Toronto and it wasn't until we went through the American security check THERE on route to PHL that the eyeglass repair kit in my purse was noticed or taken by security. At that point I told the agent he could have it, because he was the first person to see it after all those flights and he could consider it a reward for a job well done. I sincerely hope that agent is the one screening things for all my flights - because I know nothing's slipping through on his watch. By my count that particular security check was something like number 7 or 8 of the trip.

For my next cruise/tour I do plan to take a box or two of them, plus possibly one in my carry on. I expect them to all make it there, I expect the minor hassle to be worth it. And yes, I expect it to be a minor hassle.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I just wanted to sahre some personal experience after reading this thread. I fractured three vertabre 4 and a half years ago i did not suffer alot of bone damage but i did suffer large amounts of cartilige and soft tissuse damage (muscle). My doctor and physical therapist are both currently employed by an NBA team and they are the one who turned me on to the BIO FREEZE. its a wonder drug really i use it on a regular basis and it makes the pain just fade away. My understanding is you do have to get this from a doctor or a DPT small price to pay for the relief of chronic back pain. It does have a little bit of an odor at first but ti goes away in 15 to 20 min. It's compare it to icy hot on steroids. Therma care pads work well also, i use them from time to time when i cant get to my heating pad. hope this info helped.

I, too, use Bio Freeze and swear by it. It's also really good on a sunburn, believe it or not. I grabbed the tube one night, thinking it was Gold Bond lotion and froze for hours (or so it seemed) until it wore off. It would be an expensive alternative to aloe, but I haven't found any other rub that works as well as it does. You can usually find it at a hospital pharamacy and it runs about $10 a tube. i love the stuff!

Charlie

I, too, use Bio Freeze and swear by it. It's also really good on a sunburn, believe it or not. I grabbed the tube one night, thinking it was Gold Bond lotion and froze for hours (or so it seemed) until it wore off. It would be an expensive alternative to aloe, but I haven't found any other rub that works as well as it does. You can usually find it at a hospital pharamacy and it runs about $10 a tube. i love the stuff!

Charlie

Archived