A few questions about NCL Star

bac432

My husband and I are about to book the NCL Star out of L.A. to Mexico in December. I have read all the wonderfully informative posts on this board!

This is going to be my hubands first cruise....I've been on 14 cruises growing up.....every family vacation while I was growing up was a cruise. We have read so much about the Star and it seems to be a perfect fit for us. We love the idea of the Freestyle dining and the fact that we don't have to "dress up" every night for dinner. Wow....cruising has sure changed! My last cruise was about 20 years ago.

We just have a few questions.....

Are there ashtrays in the cabin or should I bring my own?

We are going to book the mini-suite on deck 11. We see that there is a coffee maker in the cabin....does anyone know what kind of filter it takes, large, small, cone shaped, etc.....we will be bringing our own coffee with us.

How are the pillows? Will they give you more pillows if you ask?

We are thinking of taking the Swim with Dolphins excursion(a life long dream of my husbands!) Has anyone heard about this excursion?

Well....these are just a few of our questions. I'm sure I'll have more as time goes on.

I just want to make sure this first cruise for my husband is a great experience.

Thanks for all you help!

I've been on the Star twice and I'll answer as many questions as I can.

Coffee:

They supplied folders filter packs for the coffee maker. They usually leave one regular and one decaf pack. We asked our steward to leave a couple extra every day and it was no problem. If you still want to bring your own I would suggest a 4 cup size filter.

Pillows:

We asked for extra pillows and our steward brought them with no problem

Dolphins:

My daughter also wants to swim with the dolphins someday. We found that it's cheaper to book it through a private tour instead of with the cruise line. I know she found out quite a bit on the Mexican Riviera board - so check there too.

Ashtrays:

Not sure

The Star is a beautiful ship and we love freestyle. It's so nice to have the option of when and where to eat. I think it just makes for a more relaxed vacation without having to worry about what time you have to be at the dining room!

Dolphins:

My daughter also wants to swim with the dolphins someday. We found that it's cheaper to book it through a private tour instead of with the cruise line. I know she found out quite a bit on the Mexican Riviera board - so check there too.

BAC432: I was just on the Star in December and took a dolphin tour in Puerto Vallarta. We booked through the cruise excursion center and it cost us 199 US per person. The place has a great dolphin program and it has a water park with plenty of slides. But I think you would be better off booking them privately and taking a taxi there yourself. Check out the following website for information on the place we went in PV.

http://www.dolphindiscovery.com

The package you would like to do would be the dolphin royal swim for 140 bucks US. Which is at least 60 dollars cheaper and for 2 people it would be a 120 savings which I'm sure is cheaper than 2 taxi rides there and back. Check out the website and you can see for yourself which one you would prefer. But please remember to wear tight lower garments as you could end up losing your bottoms when you get lifted from the water by the dolphins. lol

Just wanted to say thanks for the great responses!! Thanks!

I have a few more dumb questions:

We have some electronics like cell phones, video camera, laptop, etc...What kind and how many electrical outlets are there in the cabin? Can I bring a power strip with me? If so, what kind should I bring? Should I bring converters?

Does anyone have the room service menu from the Star?

I have read that the coffee maker in the cabin is not an actual coffee maker but just a pot to heat water.....is that true?

Again.....thanks for all the great information!

Keep the questions coming. There is a wealth of information here. Yes, there is usually one outlet in the cabin and one for shavers in the bath room. I would bring a power strip, any will do. The outlets are 110 Volts, American outlets on all of the ships, although many of the ships have a 220 Volt outlet too. The one outlet in the cabin will take the third ground prong, the one outlet in the bath room won't, it only has the top two prongs. If you bring a power strip there is no need for a converter.

The coffee makers are small, holds only 4 cups. NCL provides Folgers coffee in a rectangular filter, you just put it in the basket and coffee is brewed. You could probably use a 4 cup filter and brew your favorite coffee from home instead.

The room service menu has been posted many times recently. Please do a search at this website for room service menu and you will be rewarded.

Archived