Getting In The Cruise Mood

SarafinaSarafina

I have a little longer to go, 5 months and 3 days (or 154 days if you really want to count down!) and I am already there! I have been researching my ports, going over my packing list, and I visit these boards every day just to talk to cruise-a-holics like me. That alone keeps my excitement up!

In fact, I think I started to get excited when I booked this cruise last fall. Hmmm - if I am this way 5 months out, I am going to be good for nothing at work the closer I get to my sail date! :rolleyes:

Don't know of any cruise movies (avoid watching Titanic or Poseidan Adventure :eek: ) but depending on where you are going, you can probably find some cool music. Going to the Caribbean? Pick up some reggae. Going to the Riviera? Mariachi music would work. Going to Alaska? Watch the movie Happy Feet!

No matter what you do, enjoy the sweet anticipation of your trip. I think it is as much a part of crusing as anything, and I hope that I never get to the point when cruising is "just another vacation". Happy sailing!

• 4 weeks later...

The secret to Getting In The Cruise Mood for me is just like curing a hangover.......don't stop cruiseing! Keep 'em far enough apart to do the laundry and close enough together so you are never worth anything at work. That way they (at work) will never miss you and you're never there anyway.

I am a little less than 3 weeks from my cruise and DH and I can't seem to keep our minds off of it. We are staying really busy with our three children, but are thinking about the cruise at least 5 times per hour! I have a whole playlist on my iPod with great cruise tunes (Jimmy Buffett, Bob Marley, etc.) We started packing this weekend because I just had to do SOMETHING!

Jen:D

A couple of things that you can practice at home. Nail a piece of wood across your bathroom threshhold. and hang a piece of string across your shower stall. Once you have mastered these hazards, you will be ready for cruising!:D

john

I went to the HAL website and looked up a picture of my cabin and made it my screen saver. Everytime I sign on to the computer it's like looking out the balcony!!!! Only 19 days left for me!!!!:D

These are some great ideas. I like the one about string across the shower, haha!;) And I have to agree with another that reading these boards obsessively helps put me in the mood! I like listening to all my favorite cruise songs that I have in a playlist too. I don't know what I will do once this cruise is over! Book another I guess.

I am a little less than 3 weeks from my cruise and DH and I can't seem to keep our minds off of it. We are staying really busy with our three children, but are thinking about the cruise at least 5 times per hour! I have a whole playlist on my iPod with great cruise tunes (Jimmy Buffett, Bob Marley, etc.) We started packing this weekend because I just had to do SOMETHING!

Jen:D

Hi Jen,

I will be leaving at the same time you will be going. We are going on the Vision of Sea, were or you going. I also cannot think about anything us.

These are some great ideas. I like the one about string across the shower, haha!;) And I have to agree with another that reading these boards obsessively helps put me in the mood! I like listening to all my favorite cruise songs that I have in a playlist too. I don't know what I will do once this cruise is over! Book another I guess.

Can you please tell me what you have in your play list? Only a couple of months away and I want to make sure I am prepared. Hope you had a blast on your cruise.

Hi Jen,

I will be leaving at the same time you will be going. We are going on the Vision of Sea, were or you going. I also cannot think about anything us.

We are taking a Western Caribbean trip to Belize, Costa Maya, Cozumel and Grand Cayman. I seriously cannot wait. I watched our ship leave port yesterday from the web cam and was so excited thinking about the fact that it will be the last time it leaves without me :D

I added some additional songs to my playlist yesterday too. Kokomo, Red Red Wine and It's 5 O'clock somewhere. I couldn't believe I had left those off!

Can you please tell me what you have in your play list? Only a couple of months away and I want to make sure I am prepared. Hope you had a blast on your cruise.

Partial listing of my cruise music on my Ipod:

Vacation

Leaving on a Jet plane

Sailing

Sail On

Love Boat Theme

Sitting On the Dock of the Bay

Celebration

Sweet Escape

Its five O'clock Somewhere

Tequila Sunrise

Two Pina Coladas

Margaritaville

Beer In Mexico

Tequila

Sunshine On My Shoulders

Hot, Hot , Hot

No Shoes. No Shirt, No Problem

Live Like You Were Dying

One Love

Cheeseburger in Paradise

I'm definitely excited for mine. I booked in the fall, and didn't think about it for a while. I'm in my senior year of college and sailing out 5 days after graduation, so I'm ultra excited. But ya know...lots of work in school, so I can't think about it as much as I'd like to.

It's only my second cruise, but it's my first one with my boyfriend of three years, so I can't wait!! Since I'm still in school, it seems like the more I think about it, the slower the time goes. But if I think of all the school work I have to do before the end of the year, it makes it go fast because I don't want to do it!! :D

Another cruise movie you could watch is Speed 2...it doesn't end the way you would want a cruise to end, but I just like seeing the inside of ships. I'll have to listen to some of those summery songs that you posted above, too!

And lastly, this board does a lot for getting in the mood. Especially seeing people's pictures, and hearing stories!

I am a planning freak! With that said, I check these boards everyday (at work and home - when I get 10 seconds)

I am taking my 4 kids this time (one being an infant). Normally I would have gone through the pack list and packed everything that I could get away with - ya' know things I'm not going to wear in the next 3 weeks. BUT here's the problem. This trip is a surprise for the kids! I can't start packing their clothes without them noticing!

BUT let me give you an idea of my life....

Wake, pump (express milk for baby), get 3 kids up and ready for school, change and dress the baby - put in car seat, drive 15 miles (the opposite direction) to get them to school, drive 35 minutes to the babysitter, agonize about leaving the baby to go to work, go to work, put in my 8-9 hours. (Baby has been picked up by daddy) Head 35 minutes back down the freeway, get kids at 3 different locations from soccer practice, drop one at refereeing class (this and next week only), tonight - take 2 to church, feed them at sometime, pick up son from class 9pm, go home, feed baby, bathe her, cuddle and play with her (all of 10 minutes :( ) , homework?, pump, shower and pack diaper bag for the next day, pick out clothes, check update on CC for NCL Star engine troubles and port changes...go to bed, wake up between 3-8 times each night with the baby. - Thank goodness the big 3 kids' father picks them up from school and drops them at soccer practice - and yes practice runs M-F different days of course (some same days), but everyday...Their father leaves them all at practice - b/c he needs to get to work by 5:30. WHEN DO I HAVE TIME TO PLAN AND PACK! Boyfriend will be completely unhelpful in packing - considering leaving his stuff for him to do....not very helpful with MY kids, but that's another thread. OK I was way off topic

BUT I am totally in the cruise mood - I just have NO time :eek:

I watch all the cruise specials on the Travel Channel, I have most of them on Tivo. I watch all my own cruise videos, I also change my screen saver to pictures from past cruises. I go to Youtube and pull up videos from the ship we will be cruising on, and some I won't. Then...after I have all my clothes ready to pack...I am ready for a Pina Colado by my pool with some Steel Drum music!

Bummer...no cruises this year for us yet, I am still recovering from foot surgery and have to wait until my shoes fit...boo hoo...

I'm about 2 weeks out, and am jumping out of my skin. I read these boards obsessively.. and annoy my family and friends with vacation planning. ;)

Wow, are you like my twin!!!:D We're 2 weeks away from our cruise and I'm so excited I can barely stand myself!:p My DH and DS think I'm insane because of all the time I've been spending on these boards!:eek: The DH likes the feedback I give him on excursions though so he can't complain too much. The DS just thinks his mom is nuts anyway!!!:D Been listening to Jack Johnson's "Upside Down" song. I love when it come on the radio!

Archived