Statendam Jan. 5, 2007 Sydney to Auckland

roberts2005

My wife and I have recently returned from the January 5, 2007 Sydney to Auckland cruise. Overall, we had a delightful cruise and would sail on the ship again. It had been more than ten years since we had sailed on one of the Statendam class ships. The ship’s layout and number of passengers (1200) gives a cozy feeling.

The crew and staff were outstanding throughout the cruise. We had the 8:00 PM dinner seating. Out waiter and assistant were excellent. On average the meals were very good. One or two nights below average and several above.

We went to only three shows and they were enjoyable. As this was a port intensive cruise, we usually retired early.

Highlights: communication from the bridge, Captain Peter Bos was well spoken and kept us informed; the staff in general, especially the “at your service” telephone concierge service; the Port Lecturer, Abilio, was a great help..

Negatives: The air conditioning is still a problem. Our cabin, 48, on the Navigation deck had problems. Friends down the hall in a suite had none. If you do have problems make sure you let the office know. One other issue that is typical of all HAL ships was that the bar staff is far too aggressive in selling soda cards and drinks of the day. I feel this is because the gratuity is now added on to the price.

I will be posting reviews of the ports on the Australia New Zealand board. We did miss Geelong (Melbourne) due to special circumstances. And, for those that are afraid of getting seasick, the crossing of the Tasman Sea was pretty rough.

.........I will be posting reviews of the ports on the Australia New Zealand board. We did miss Geelong (Melbourne) due to special circumstances. And, for those that are afraid of getting seasick, the crossing of the Tasman Sea was pretty rough.

Thanks for your review Mr. Roberts; looking forward to reading about your ports of call, so I'll head over to that forum. Question: You report that the Tasman Sea was rough. How rough is rough? Thanks!

Karin

The rough seas actually started on the way to Melbourne. We were supposed to dock in Geelong due to a special fleet blessing in Melbourne, but the captain was unable to safely anchor so we could tender in. We did pick up people who missed the ship in Sydney.

As to the Tasman Sea. On the first day at sea after leaving Tasmania the lido deck pool still had water in it. You couls stand there and watch the wave action in the pool. On many occasions the water actually splashed higher than the dolphins.

Robert S.

Thanks for your review- We are planning to take this same cruise next Jan. I had heard that the crossing was rough. I can't get any frame of reference on rough. Was there an updating board or info on a tv channel with what the wave size was? We just returned from the Volendam to the Panama Canal and they listed seas as 18'-27'? Is this medium, rough or what? Many on our cruise complained of being sick but it didn't bother me. I have heard of some rough water where people say they were almost knocked out of bed. Was that the case on your trip?

Sue

we did this cruise a year ago and crossing the Tasman Sea was a rough ride - 32 foot waves. We sat in the Lido and watched the ship move up on a wave and then smash down with spray coming back to where we were sitting. It was so exciting! If you ever take a cabin right at the front you would have lots of sound effects too.

The rough crossing was just a matter of difficult walking - if you are prone to seasickness they have bonine at the front desk. I just use sea bands and take ginger with me. Didn't need it though and never missed a meal

Yes, it is a problem at night - if your bed is facing the bow or the stern you will roll from side to side with the motion, but if it is the other way it's not so bad. It's a good idea to secure loose items on the dresser and bedside tables as they will roll off in a storm.

DH worked on the ships and we always choose a cabin midships on the bottom pax deck.

Thanks roberts: I'll be checking your review on the Australia boards.

We have a Sky Suite on Celebrity's Mercury next December....deck 11....:eek:

I have crossed the Tasman 4 times, however, and the *rough* seas didn't bother me......then......:rolleyes: (I'm older, and wiser, now.)

My wife and I have recently returned from the January 5, 2007 Sydney to Auckland cruise. Overall, we had a delightful cruise and would sail on the ship again. It had been more than ten years since we had sailed on one of the Statendam class ships. The ship’s layout and number of passengers (1200) gives a cozy feeling.

The crew and staff were outstanding throughout the cruise. We had the 8:00 PM dinner seating. Out waiter and assistant were excellent. On average the meals were very good. One or two nights below average and several above.

We went to only three shows and they were enjoyable. As this was a port intensive cruise, we usually retired early.

Highlights: communication from the bridge, Captain Peter Bos was well spoken and kept us informed; the staff in general, especially the “at your service” telephone concierge service; the Port Lecturer, Abilio, was a great help..

Negatives: The air conditioning is still a problem. Our cabin, 48, on the Navigation deck had problems. Friends down the hall in a suite had none. If you do have problems make sure you let the office know. One other issue that is typical of all HAL ships was that the bar staff is far too aggressive in selling soda cards and drinks of the day. I feel this is because the gratuity is now added on to the price.

I will be posting reviews of the ports on the Australia New Zealand board. We did miss Geelong (Melbourne) due to special circumstances. And, for those that are afraid of getting seasick, the crossing of the Tasman Sea was pretty rough.

I don't think it is the crew, we came down on the repositioning cruise and the crew did not bother us constantly to buy drinks. I have been told that there is a new Food and Beverage Manager on the ship and he is constantly on to the crew to sell more. Its not only the crew that get something out of the sales...........the price of drinks on HAL are bordering on extortion!

Captain Bos is a great skipper he took us to Alaska, we had an emergency on board the first day out, they had to call the coast guard to transfer the patient, Captain Bos kept the pax informed and on the last day he checked on the man's condition and then reported to the pax that the man was doing great. We were sorry he left the ship in Vancouver.

You must realise that we are at the bottom of the Southern Ocean down here, you will get rough weather a lot of the time. We aren't having the greatest of summrs, as you are having a rather strange winter up there. There is nothing to protect the crossing of the Tasman sea, 1200 odd miles between the islands of NZ and east coast of Australia or what is roaring up from Antartica! Suggest you look at an atlas to give you a much better picture of what is involved.

The Tasman can be really, really bad and it can be really, really calm, just depends. Unless you got a crystal ball you just got to take your chances :)

I think the Statendam rides very high and I don't think it handles rough weather all that well. Thats my opinion others might disagree, but I think there might be other ships that handle it better. Mind you ships are starting to look not like ships any more and I wonder what it must be like in rough weather on the i.e., Sapphire Princess in a rough Tasman?

Roberts2005:

You mention the AC-

Negatives: The air conditioning is still a problem. Our cabin, 48, on the Navigation deck had problems. Friends down the hall in a suite had none.

Did the problem seem to be on the entire Navigation Deck or hit and miss. We will be in this cruise in December and staying on the same deck in the same catagory cabin as your and just wondered.

Mincruiser, we were the next to last cabin at the rear of ship. Only spoke about it once with the people in cabin 50. They implied their cabin had problems too. Our friends were at the front end. After many visits from the staff who measured the temp. with a special device that measures with some sort of laser, they were still unable to correct.

Archived