First HAL cruise/Noordam 1/17/07-review

cruisun

My past cruises have been on NCL, Royal Viking/Sun line, Princess and Oceania.

The Noordam is a fantastic ship. We never felt crowded or had to wait in lines. Each bar has its own distinctive feeling as do most of the public rooms. The deck plans are sensible and easy to navigate. The amount of outdoor space is unbelievable. It seemed like there are endless "nooks and crannies" both inside and outside on the Noordam giving the ship an older feeling that reminded me of the Stella Solaris from the now defunct RV line.

Our SY category cabin, midship/upper veranda deck was extremely spacious and well laid out. The beds and pillows are awesome. The extra long sofa was also comfortable. The bathroom was extra large with two sinks, jacuzzi tub and separate shower. The balcony was also large and had more depth than any other balcony I have had. The railing design with the glass is also a big plus!!!

I chose this cruise to try HAL and the ease of leaving from NY. Also wanted a low activity vacation and the sea days and short port times were perfect. We did have to go off course to avoid a storm heading back to NY and still experienced EXTREMELY rough sailing for 12-24 hrs. I loved every minute of it. Those who get seasick did not feel the same way. Our waiter was a little green that night.

The staff that I encountered in every department was friendly and efficient. The orderly conduct in which the ship was run was impressive.

The food in the Diningroom was good(and staff outstanding). The food in the Pinnacle was good(staff ok). Some of the food in the Lido was good. Sometimes room service food was good, sometimes not. This was the most disappointing aspect of the cruise for me. Make no mistake, I ate plenty and enjoyed every minute of it. What was lacking was the WOW factor. Everything just seemed a little bland from the Lido to the Pinnacle.

I think I will cruise with HAL again in the future. I feel like this cruise was a very good value and I like the large array of sailings HAL offers. I also loved spacious feeling everwhere on the ship. I think if I am in the mood for something slightly more elegant and exceptionally tasty I will sail again with Oceania. I look forward to doing much more of both in the future...............Oh, one more little nit picky thing......Am I the only one who noticed that the interior designer who chose the carpets and upholstery and drapes may have been color blind:eek: mustard and purple and mauve:eek:

I can't believe you managed to get home and get your thoughts together enough to start a review! I don't know whether I am coming or going at this point. Yes, the seas were a bit rough, weren't they?

I'll write more later. Thanks for the review!

I can't believe you managed to get home and get your thoughts together enough to start a review! I don't know whether I am coming or going at this point. Yes, the seas were a bit rough, weren't they?

I'll write more later. Thanks for the review!

The staff that I encountered in every department was friendly and efficient. The orderly conduct in which the ship was run was impressive.

I so agree how well the ship is run. Hotel Manager Henk Mensink is doing a great job. We were told he will be Hotel Manager for the next World Cruise. His talents are obvious.

Actually, we think the colors work fantastically on Noordam. We think the combinations stunning. Ocean Bar and Lido are particularly striking to us. We love the dining room and the gyroscope in the atrium. Truth be told, we love the whole 'dam' ship. Think her very beautiful.

Thanks for your wonderful review. Sorry you encountered the rough seas but happy you had a good cruise.

I love reading reviews written by people cruising HAL for the first time. I still remember (way) back to our first HAL cruise and all our initial reactions after having sailed a few other lines.

Welcome Back!!

cruisun, so glad you enjoyed Noordam.

Funny you should mention this. Our first HAL cruise is on the Noordam in December, which will be our 3rd cruise. Our first was in 2004 on the Carnival Miracle when she was 6 months old. I have seen hundreds of pics and slideshows of the Noordam, and my very first thought was "Wow, it looks like the Carnival Miracle!"

No flames, please, HAL's accoutrements are higher end and much more to our liking, but the color schemes and some of the over the top pairings brought to mind Joe Farcus and his infamous designs. I have since read somewhere, maybe here, that he does not design HAL ships (perhaps the interior designer is a close cousin - LOL ;)).

I thoroughly enjoy eclectic interiors, so I should thoroughly enjoy Noordam.

...Am I the only one who noticed that the interior designer who chose the carpets and upholstery and drapes may have been color blind:eek: mustard and purple and mauve:eek:

" It seemed like there are endless "nooks and crannies" both inside and outside on the Noordam giving the ship an older feeling that reminded me of the Stella Solaris from the now defunct RV line."

Stella Solaris sailed for Sun Line cruises, not Royal Viking, and was a great deal smaller than the Noordam. I personally can't find any resemblance.

We sailed the Noordam from 1/6-1/17/07 and loved the ship and service. The dining room menu was unusual, to say the least. Items like Meatloaf, Macaroni and Cheese with Ham, and Spaghetti and Meat Balls are not usually found on a cruise ship menu. But they had other items more appealing to us, and we found them to be well prepared.

All in all, we had a great cruise, met some wonderful people, and definitely will sail the Noordam again.

Ginnie

Archived