aft cabins

T-burg 19

They're in the back of the ship. They don't usually have as much wave action as the stern would, but there is often engine vibration. When the ship uses its pods, the room can really vibrate. We've only experienced that when coming into a port, but you always know when you're getting ready to dock. We like the fact that afts often have larger balconies and are usually a shorter walk to the dining rooms and/or buffet, but longer to every other place.

Charlie

They're in the back of the ship. They don't usually have as much wave action as the stern would, but there is often engine vibration. When the ship uses its pods, the room can really vibrate. We've only experienced that when coming into a port, but you always know when you're getting ready to dock. We like the fact that afts often have larger balconies and are usually a shorter walk to the dining rooms and/or buffet, but longer to every other place.

Charlie

can anyone tell me about aft cabins?

I assume you are referring to the cabins on the Stern of the ship? in fact an aft cabin is anything in the back third of the ship.

Stern cabins on the other hand face backward so you are looking out at the wake of the ship and where you have been. there is usually more vibration and there is a lot of movement as well, that applies to both the front and back of a ship, least movement is in the middle of the ship. Most stern cabins have larger balconies than side cabins but not all of them, it depends on the individual ship.

they are a long way from most things.

I have stayed aft 7 out of 9 times. Its the place for me.

I pay the same booking an aft as I would the side balcony so why not get bigger for the same amount of money.

THe cabins are the same size but the balconies are bigger then the side balconies.

Some ships have more awesome/impressive aft balconies then others.

Royal Caribbean to name one.. where on my aft balcony I have 2 lounge chairs, 2 regular chairs and a table and still plenty of room to have a party with about 15 people.

Other balconies-- like on carnival are a bit smaller then that one.

Balconies on the aft are warmer then the side ones.. you dont get ocean breezes like the sides. Its a farther walk to the stairs/elevators but the halls are quiet back here as people on a ship tend not to go where they dont have to. The views on the aft are amazing. I dont worry about bein gon the wrong side of the ship.

Some people experince soot- I have yet but I also wipe everything down before we use it.

Some people also experince shuddering or vibration- I have not had that either.

Archived