Brewed coffee really extra $$ ?

rtrtx2

The coffee bar on the CB is at the Lobby Bar, on the 5th floor. It opens at 7 am, I believe, and the lattes are excellent.

The free ice cream every day in the Horizon Court from 3:30-4:15 is really good. I only got ice cream from Scoops twice, and she didn't charge me because they were single scoops for my kids (rather than their usual 2 scoops). And my kids are exceptionally cute.;)

Just got off the Carribean Princess last week. It was my very first cruise. I'd been reading the boards for months and they had me very worried about the coffee. I'm a coffee addict and I'll drink it all day if I can but I'm picky about the taste. I can't drink it at work b/c the water here makes the coffee tasted "funny". :(

On the Carribean Princess I found the free coffee and the extra charge coffee to taste pretty much the same. I thought they both tasted like McDonald's coffee which I find to be drinkable but not great. Also, the expresso drinks were so-so too. Kind of tasted like Starbucks (bland).

Out of all the things you have to worry about for your cruise, take coffee off the list. If you can stand McDonald's coffee then you should be able to drink the cruise coffee.

It has been my understanding that the reason for the 'coffee from concentrate' is for environmental reasons. For that I have no problem paying extra if I choose to have the better coffe :)

Anne

The free coffee from concentrate is perfectly fine for the vast majority of the passengers. If you want specialty coffee brewed from beans, you can purchase a coffee card.

There are probably many reasons cruiselines offer coffee from concentrate. Not only is brewing it less efficient but also, they have waste disposal to consider. If cruiselines are holding their prices with coffee from concentrate, that's fine with me. I'd rather pay less or a reasonable amount to cruise than have to have brewed coffee. After all, if you want brewed coffee, you have the option of paying for it.

It has been my understanding that the reason for the 'coffee from concentrate' is for environmental reasons. For that I have no problem paying extra if I choose to have the better coffee :)

Anne

The free coffee from concentrate is perfectly fine for the vast majority of the passengers. If you want specialty coffee brewed from beans, you can purchase a coffee card.

There are probably many reasons cruiselines offer coffee from concentrate. Not only is brewing it less efficient but also, they have waste disposal to consider. If cruiselines are holding their prices with coffee from concentrate, that's fine with me. I'd rather pay less or a reasonable amount to cruise than have to have brewed coffee. After all, if you want brewed coffee, you have the option of paying for it.

We sailed on the Golden this summer and the discount coupon for the Coffee Card was in the coupon book that in the your stateroon.

hope that helps ;)

Anne

A while back I remember reading that there is (was) a 20% discount coupon in your cabin for the COFFEE CARD.

Thanks for your help.:cool:

We are booked on the Grand Princes in September and I am v ery confused. However, I know you NOrth Americans love your freshly brewed coffee, but when I am on any ship I always carry my preferred brand of instant coffe and make my own. I think ships coffee in the urns is absolute crap.

Now room service perhaps someone can enlighten me on this one. What exactly does room service comprise of, I have been on HAL and it was wonderful. I could ring up and ask for a jug of boiling water, cream and sugar and it would be at my door in 5 minutes, my DH just loves his English tea, after all he is English, can he expect a decent cup of tea on Princess.

The coffee bar on the CB is at the Lobby Bar, on the 5th floor. It opens at 7 am, I believe, and the lattes are excellent.

FINALLY!!! Someone has answered the question I've been posting on every thread about the CB. Thank you so much!:)

Still wondering if anyone can confirm the existance of an Ice Cream card and how much it costs?

I found this information on cruise critic by doing a search. Hope it helps.

Ice Cream card

You can purchase the card at Scoops Ice Cream Parlor onboard for $17.50.

You get 10 credits (boxes that get checked off) for this price.

1 credit will get you a cone with 2 scoops of ice cream and 2 toppings OR a soft serve cone.

Note: the prices for these if purchased without the card are $1.50 for the 2 scoops or soft serve plus an additional 25 cents per topping.

2 credits gets you the special creation sundaes or shakes listed on the board which are priced at $3.75 each without the card.

Still wondering if anyone can confirm the existance of an Ice Cream card and how much it costs?

I found this information on the cruise critic board by doing a search. I hope it helps.

Ice Cream card

1 credit will get you a cone with 2 scoops of ice cream and 2 toppings OR a soft serve cone.

Note: the prices for these if purchased without the card are $1.50 for the 2 scoops or soft serve plus an additional 25 cents per topping.

2 credits gets you the special creation sundaes or shakes listed on the board which are priced at $3.75 each without the card.

I found this information on cruise critic by doing a search. Hope it helps.

Ice Cream card

I know you NOrth Americans love your freshly brewed coffee....

Yep we sure do and you are right to say the coffee on board Princess is crap - has nothing to do with being made in urns - it's made from SYRUP. You get it with room service, in the Horizon, in the dining room. I always buy the speciality coffee card for $24. That gives you 15 special $2.00 drinks like cappuchinos, lattes, espressos, etc., so theoretically you save $6.00. HOWEVER, all you have to do is show it at one of the coffee bars and you can get one or two freshly brewed cups to go - we always stopped there before going to the dining room for breakfast. Someone said they'd only give one cup per card, but I had no trouble getting two and if they said anything I would have said, well I always drink two cups at meals, why make me come back? Or, in the unlikely event the coffee person is a complete noodge, just give your card to your companion and send them back for their coffee - there's no name or room # attached to it. And be sure to write you cabin number on the card in case you lose it and some kind person may actually drop it off at your cabin.

Now room service perhaps someone can enlighten me on this one. What exactly does room service comprise of, I have been on HAL and it was wonderful. I could ring up and ask for a jug of boiling water, cream and sugar and it would be at my door in 5 minutes, my DH just loves his English tea, after all he is English, can he expect a decent cup of tea on Princess.

You will get plenty of responses on this. Room service in the morning means complimentary coffee, tea, yogurt, cereal joice, pastries - you pay extra if you want a full breakfast. Someone said it's $25 for two - yikes! If you do want to eat a full breakfast on your balcony, I'd suggest ordering whatever you can get free from room service and then send some up to the Horizon buffet to pick up a couple of those big plates of the other stuff - lox and bagels, bacon, omelets, whatever. And remember that without purchasing the coffee card for $24, you'll get the syrup coffee.

Someone on a previous post mentioned that NCL has free brewed coffee, latte, capiccino, etc. I was on NCL a year ago...and it was true then...but..that doesn't make up for the dismal lunch and dinner buffets. I would rather have to pay for the coffee and get a decent lunch/dinner buffet which imho Princess has.

Happy cruising!

You will get plenty of responses on this. Room service in the morning means complimentary coffee, tea, yogurt, cereal joice, pastries - you pay extra if you want a full breakfast. Someone said it's $25 for two - yikes! If you do want to eat a full breakfast on your balcony, I'd suggest ordering whatever you can get free from room service and then send some up to the Horizon buffet to pick up a couple of those big plates of the other stuff - lox and bagels, bacon, omelets, whatever. And remember that without purchasing the coffee card for $24, you'll get the syrup coffee.

lol, no I won't I will have my instant with me. I have learned that one, at least it tastes like coffee. Will I be able to get the pot of boiling water to make my coffee with. Better or the Pursers office might getting a shrieking Kiwi for their trouble. :)

and should I be dumb enuf to pay $25 for a balcony breakfast and it was COLD then they would really hear me shrieking, I would not accept that in any event.

The $25 Balcony Breakfast is a CHAMPAGNE Balcony Breakfast for Two, including fruit, pastries, quiche and other items along with the champagne.....a bit of a different thing. Calling someone “dumb” for paying that is a trace opinionated. But than again everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion, however well thought out. :rolleyes:

Anne

and should I be dumb enuf to pay $25 for a balcony breakfast and it was COLD then they would really hear me shrieking, I would not accept that in any event.

DH and I are not terribly picky about our coffee... we drink "the good stuff" at home but I have no problems with a nice brewed cup of Folgers, Maxwell House, whatever kind of coffee restaurants normally serve.

That being said, we thought the "coffee" in HC on CB last December was unspeakably vile. It really and truly was not fit for human consumption, IOHO. The room service coffee, strangely enough, was not as bad. (We didn't know about the syrup coffee going into it, so it wasn't just a mental thing.)

We have no use for a cappuccino/latte card but would like unlimited brewed coffee. It's a little disconcerting that you have to go all the way down to the coffee bar, get your coffee, and then come back up to get your breakfast (assuming you're at HC.) Or why get room service if you have to go get your own coffee? We both drink 2 cups each at breakfast so I guess in theory we have to go from our room, to the coffee bar (with two cards) and either get 2 coffees each (one will get cold) or interrupt our breakfast to go get another brewed coffee.

And I am paying for that privilege? Weird.

My husband collects Coffee Mugs, and as someone else mentioned the coffee from Room Service is better than the buffet (my husband's choice for breakfast)....... I always buy him a new mug first thing on the ship and order a pot of coffee and juice from RS every morning (it replaces a wake up call).

It's enough coffee to fill his large mug and the Starbucks thermal one that I carry with me. :D

I also bring along a bottle of Starbucks sugarfree vanilla syrup coffee flavoring ;)

Anne

Gosh I really have to reply to this thread as the whole coffee from syrup thing completely freaked me out before we went on our trip in December. I read all the negative remarks and decided to buy 3 travel french presses for those of us in my group who are concerned about our morning and evening coffee. We are the folks who NEED a good cup of coffee to start our day and end our evening meal. Well.....we never used the french presses. The coffee on board was just fine!!! Seriously can not understand all the negative remarks about this coffee. It's not the best coffee I've ever had in my lifetime but it was ......very good, and did the job .....and that's not just my opinion but the opinion of all us who went on the Sun in December. We had a diverse group of 12 people who all drank the regular coffee made from syrup and we all .....liked it.

Oh Umbarger, my husband is going to kill you:p You made me so happy!

That means 5 Death by Chocolate, can't wait for September!!

Well, I'm glad I made someone happy. :D Enjoy your cruise in September. I have to wait till October till I cruise again. :confused:

Archived